1. Joined : Nov 2015
    Posts : 6
    Windows 10
       04 Nov 2016 #1

    Another can't Update windows 10 issue


    Hi all

    Came here looking for help getting windows 10 to update and see I am not alone

    The update assistant says there is an update due
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Windows 10 update assistant.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	108843
    But if I try to update from the assistant it fails and reverts to the previous installation

    I have also tried downloading the latest windows 10 iso file and tried to update from a burned DVD and that results in the same reverting to previous installation but giving the error below

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Windows 10 Error.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	108844

    Following instructions elsewhere I have run the following commans

    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

    followed by

    sfc /scannow

    Both of which finished without finding any issues.

    Anyone got any idea as to whats going wrong with my update.

    Thanks for any help

    Don't know if this is anything to do with it, but my windows 10 is an update to a Windows 8.1 instalation, not a clean install that I am reluctant to do if I don't have to as I have a lot of software that would need re-installing if I went down the clean route and as they are all working fine I don't want to tempt fate with a clean instal, especially if that also fails.

    Paul
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Aug 2015
    Wales
    Posts : 164
    Win 10 Pro 64Bit
       04 Nov 2016 #2

    Paul80 said: View Post
    Hi all

    Came here looking for help getting windows 10 to update and see I am not alone

    The update assistant says there is an update due
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Windows 10 update assistant.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	108843
    But if I try to update from the assistant it fails and reverts to the previous installation

    I have also tried downloading the latest windows 10 iso file and tried to update from a burned DVD and that results in the same reverting to previous installation but giving the error below

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Windows 10 Error.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	108844

    Following instructions elsewhere I have run the following commans

    DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

    followed by

    sfc /scannow

    Both of which finished without finding any issues.

    Anyone got any idea as to whats going wrong with my update.

    Thanks for any help

    Don't know if this is anything to do with it, but my windows 10 is an update to a Windows 8.1 instalation, not a clean install that I am reluctant to do if I don't have to as I have a lot of software that would need re-installing if I went down the clean route and as they are all working fine I don't want to tempt fate with a clean instal, especially if that also fails.

    Paul
    Hi Paul

    Have you tried running the update trouble shooter? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...troubleshooter

    Regards
    UKMedia
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Nov 2015
    Posts : 6
    Windows 10
       04 Nov 2016 #3

    thanks for the link

    I ran the troubleshooter tool and it found and fixed one error.

    I then ran the update tool again and again it failed to install the update, resulting in the now common restoring previous version of windows message.

    Thanks again for you input.

    Paul
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Nov 2015
    Posts : 6
    Windows 10
       04 Nov 2016 #4

    One point to note, is if I run the tool as admin it says its found and fixed one problem, if I run it again it says its found and fixed one problem. looks like its not fixing what ever the problem is, although I can't find what the problem is as its not telling me.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Aug 2015
    Wales
    Posts : 164
    Win 10 Pro 64Bit
       04 Nov 2016 #5

    Sorry if this is a silly question but how much free disk space do you have?

    Regards
    UKMedia
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Oct 2014
    Trnava
    Posts : 1,628
    Windows 10 Home x64
       04 Nov 2016 #6
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Aug 2015
    Wales
    Posts : 164
    Win 10 Pro 64Bit
       04 Nov 2016 #7

    Paul80 said: View Post
    One point to note, is if I run the tool as admin it says its found and fixed one problem, if I run it again it says its found and fixed one problem. looks like its not fixing what ever the problem is, although I can't find what the problem is as its not telling me.
    Also, did you reboot the PC after running the Trouble Shooter?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Nov 2015
    Posts : 6
    Windows 10
       04 Nov 2016 #8

    Free space is 1.6TB

    Yes did a reboot after running trouble shooter.

    One more thing I have found out

    If I run the Windows 10 update assistant it shows I am running v.10586 and that v.14393 is the latest version so an update is needed.

    If I run Updates & Security and check for updates it says I am already up to date.

    Something odd going on here.

    Paul
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Aug 2015
    Wales
    Posts : 164
    Win 10 Pro 64Bit
       04 Nov 2016 #9

    Paul80 said: View Post
    Free space is 1.6TB

    Yes did a reboot after running trouble shooter.

    One more thing I have found out

    If I run the Windows 10 update assistant it shows I am running v.10586 and that v.14393 is the latest version so an update is needed.

    If I run Updates & Security and check for updates it says I am already up to date.

    Something odd going on here.

    Paul
    The Update Assistant does often show updates that are scheduled but not deployed yet to everyone, so I'm not surprised about that. Have you tried the script found by TairikuOkami?

    Regards
    UKMedia
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Update issue.. UEFI firmware issue
14703 Any suggestions??
Installation and Setup
Windows 10 Update KB 3172985 Issue
Last week I downloaded and tried to install Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3172985). After downloading this update I restarted my system. This is when my problem began. The restart takes my system to a Blue Screen where it says...
Windows Updates and Activation
Scanner issue with Windows 10 update
Hello, Not sure if I'm in the right place, but I need some help. My computer recently updated itself to Windows 10. I have a Brother MFC-J475DW printer, and the printing function works as usual. However, with the update, the scan function won't...
Drivers and Hardware
Windows Update Issue on a VL system
I am currently running Windows 8.1 Pro VL. After updating my PC, the Get Windows 10 App came and Windows Update is also ready for downloading Win 10. How can it upgrade/download 10 when Volume License editions of Windows are not eligible for the...
Windows Updates and Activation
Solved Windows 10 Update issue
I have a ThinkCentre M93z pc. I upgraded from Windows 8.1 Pro x64 to Windows 10 Pro x64 a few weeks ago. There is an update that Windows is trying to install that is causing my machine to lock up. I think Iíve narrowed it down to AMD Radeon HD...
Windows Updates and Activation
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:34.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums