Windows 10: Win 10 Update Destroyed My Settings - Why?
What you say is interesting and revealing. I do find it irritating that I am pretty much forced to take the updates. I don't like losing control. I'm almost thinking of the idea of removing Win 10. I have Win 7 on a separate PC and I've been fairly satisfied with my options there.
Just updated to 1607.
Mainly fiddly little things are now noticeable.
1. Previously, my Imageshack install, when I looked in the pictures library to upload a pic, Win 10 used to present the library showing the latest pics I had downloaded (I didn't set it up that way - it started doing that when I first upgraded to W10). Now, unfortunately, it no longer does that. Back now to the old Win7 way of having to look through all my pics alphabetically. Tried changing settings in the library, but it makes no difference.
2. Some apps seem to have disappeared, although the icons remain. I use Translator a lot (I need to understand certain Chinese sites). When I hit the icon - nothing. Had to reinstall.
3. All the settings for sending sound to my HDMI TV across the room had been reset. The original Win10 upgrade left them alone. 1607 messed them up.
4. The Start Button functionality has changed. Previously, a left click showed all my useful buttons (like File Explorer), along with a button for All Apps if I needed to use a prog I hadn't used for a while. Now, it defaults to All Apps, and I have to click a second time to see the useful buttons. Why?
5. This is THE most annoying. I still like to use IE at times - I know it is unfashionable to do so, but I really don't want to have to go through all my older sites updating all my (long forgotten) passwords, as I would have to in order to use Edge. Since 1607, IE will fall over every time, after around 5-5 minutes use.
It is almost as if MS have crippled it in order to get us all to stop using it.
I am sure there are lots of better things going on in the background now, compared to the older build, but in terms of usability, IMHO, 1607 is not a step forward.
I guess we are all now classed as Beta users by MS, and fixes will appear, hopefully, in due course, if they deem it worth fixing (which, in the case of IE, I don't think will happen).
with Win10 I now backup 2-3 times a week to an External with Macrium Reflect so I can Rollback if I get an unexpected Update and it borks something , or like 2 weeks ago when AU Failed on 1st attempt , I re-imaged and un-installed Avast and let the AU Update Run again with no issues.
Thanks to all for your replies, suggestions, and tips. I see an alarming trend in the replies posted so far -- that is, many people find themselves having their setups changed in some way, whether in a major or minor sense, by Microsoft updates to Win 10, and it seems that MS has decided to intentionally limit users capacity in that area. I find this very unsettling.
Just for the record, has anyone gone from Win 10 back to Win 7? Does anyone have an idea of how MS is reacting to complaints from users about having less control over updates?
Just got upgrade to build 14393.222
IE performance WORSE.
Falls over after about a minute now
Windows 10 has been good to from the start to the latest updates. First it wouldn't let me use my keyboard anymore, and yes it works on any other computer I have.
From yesterday until to day, it won't start anymore.
Windows 7, here I come...
I upgraded from W7 to W10 last week and all went smoothly...or so I thought.
I launched a program today and it failed because its exe file was missing. My audio DAW PC was built by a specialist firm here in the UK - Scan. It was configured as...
Hi guys, so as soon as I heard about the new build, I went to install it. After it finished and booted back up, it displayed several notifications about removing apps because they weren't compatible, well thanks for confirming this with me :huh:
I downloaded my free upgrade and now my computer is stuck in a loop - blue screen/black screen. Tech support was useless. Why is Windows allowed to put out a product that does not work and we have to pay to repair? It would be so nice if someone...
I plugged in my USB drive and I get notification USB device not recognized. In This PC it shows but it looks like this:https://www.tenforums.com/attachments/drivers-hardware/47171-my-sandisk-cruzer-destroyed-www.jpg
When I right click to try and...