Windows 10: Win update “Notify to schedule restart" missing after recent update?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 26
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit x64
       26 Sep 2016 #1

    Win update “Notify to schedule restart" missing after recent update?


    Before the recent update, in windows update “Advanced Options” screen, I selected “Notify to schedule restart” so my PC will not restart by itself after an update, as mentioned in this article How to Schedule Restarts for Updates in Windows 10

    Yesterday after windows update, “Notify to schedule restart” is missing (see screenshot below). Now the PC will restart automatically after a Windows update. I have unsaved documents lost when it restarted by itself yesterday.

    How to get back the “Notify to schedule restart” option? I only want to manually restart my PC after an update. Thanks

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sf0MiCR.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	103227
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    26 Sep 2016 #2

    Hi, how do you get it back? It's changed slightly. You need to go back one from that screen, click restart options.

    Note there is also now a 12 hour max 'active hours' period you can specify which stops restarts in that period.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 26
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit x64
    Thread Starter
       26 Sep 2016 #3

    dalchina said: View Post
    Hi, how do you get it back? It's changed slightly. You need to go back one from that screen, click restart options.

    Note there is also now a 12 hour max 'active hours' period you can specify which stops restarts in that period.
    I cannot set anything in my restart options, everything is greyed out, why? (I have clicked on the toggle "off" and it does not turn it on)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	W5upqzE.png 
Views:	3 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	103232

    By the way, I prefer to restart manually instead of setting a time. I usually leave my PC turned on forever and only lockscreen when I am not using it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    26 Sep 2016 #4

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snap 2016-09-26 at 14.14.25.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	103233
    It's self explanatory. Please read carefully, noting the condition specified.

    The 'Active hours' setting is the one you can change any time. The above is supplementary to that. That's why.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 26
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit x64
    Thread Starter
       26 Sep 2016 #5

    dalchina said: View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Snap 2016-09-26 at 14.14.25.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	103233
    It's self explanatory. Please read carefully, noting the condition specified.

    The 'Active hours' setting is the one you can change any time. The above is supplementary to that. That's why.
    Does it mean that after new updates are downloaded and ready to install, the restart options will pop up? Only at that time the restart options will be ungreyed?

    What happens if I am not around to schedule the restart? I mean sometimes I am not around my PC for long hours.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    26 Sep 2016 #6

    See Active hours in Settings. It will not restart during the active hours period.

    The setting you are worried about is used, as it says, to override active hours settings. I.e. it is supplementary - an additional feature- not the main one.

    Found from a search for
    How does "windows 10" "active hours" work

    How to configure Active Hours to avoid Windows 10 sudden restarts during updates | Windows Central
    How to use Windows 10's Active Hours to prevent surprise update installs | PCWorld
    A closer look at Active Hours in Windows 10 - gHacks Tech News
    Windows 10 | Exercise control over when your system restarts for updates | Windows 10 content from SuperSite for Windows
    Windows Update Active Hours - Change in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 26
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit x64
    Thread Starter
       02 Oct 2016 #7

    Windows Update Active Hours could only be set for 12 hours, I set it from 8AM to 8PM. There is no way to stop it restarting manually.
    When I was not at the PC (PC was turned on, nobody is using it) yesterday after 8PM, the PC restarted by itself and I lost some unsaved data. Very sad.

    How can I restart my PC manually?

    I am using Windows 10 Home 64-bit Operating System, x64

    I was thinking what happens to people working overtime on their Windows 10 PC, they might go to the toilet or have a dinner and come back to see all their work that was done halfway disappeared due to Windows 10 auto restart.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    03 Oct 2016 #8

    Hi, options vary from stopping Windows update in various ways and hence allowing or doing updates manually - with all the complication related to that - to setting it to notify you.

    If you use a tiny utility (free) called 'Don't Sleep' - or similar- you can block restarts. I can't say I've definitively seen this work, as my experience, unexpectedly, without any special modifications, is that I am notified of a restart- even outside Active hours. I've never had an unexpected restart- even when the update download completed after the A Hour period, or completed during it and was pending after it.

    You may also like to have a look at this:
    Download Windows Update MiniTool - MajorGeeks

    Well-behaved programs like Office or Thunderbird save (or can be set to save) data periodically while you're typing or working on it, minimising potential loss. But of course there are other situations..
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  9. Posts : 26
    Windows 10 Home 64 bit x64
    Thread Starter
       07 Oct 2016 #9

    dalchina said: View Post
    Hi, options vary from stopping Windows update in various ways and hence allowing or doing updates manually - with all the complication related to that - to setting it to notify you.

    If you use a tiny utility (free) called 'Don't Sleep' - or similar- you can block restarts. I can't say I've definitively seen this work, as my experience, unexpectedly, without any special modifications, is that I am notified of a restart- even outside Active hours. I've never had an unexpected restart- even when the update download completed after the A Hour period, or completed during it and was pending after it.

    You may also like to have a look at this:
    Download Windows Update MiniTool - MajorGeeks

    Well-behaved programs like Office or Thunderbird save (or can be set to save) data periodically while you're typing or working on it, minimising potential loss. But of course there are other situations..
    When you use 'Don't Sleep', do you still need to set active hours in windows update settings?

    Why do you say "I can't say I've definitively seen this work", it seems to work well for you since you mention that you did not have any unexpected restart.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    08 Oct 2016 #10

    To answer both questions I've not been able to do a definitive test to determine if Don't Sleep definitely blocks restarts. Think- how would you test that? How often is there a restart required? I've not always had it running, and still not had an unexpected restart. Once when it was running with a pending restart set during Active hours and I closed Don't sleep, I still didn't experience an automatic restart.

    It is however a reasonable presumption that a program that does block these things may have the desired effect, unless MS update restarts somehow override the block. So worth trying given MS's peculiar approach here.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Windows Update Doesn't Notify Me in Windows Updates and Activation
Last November, or maybe even October, Windows Update stopped notifying me about updates, so I've been checking them manually whenever ESET notifies me about them. The 1511 upgrade didn't correct the situation, and neither did resetting Windows. Is...
Hi All, After the recent 'Anniversary Update', I noticed that several things have either gone missing, or need to be re-set. The first thing I noticed was that the icon for "Search", (the little magnifying glass icon), is missing from my taskbar....
I used to be able to right-click on the "Recent" icon on the start menu and see an option to clear the recent files list. Now it's gone. The "Recent" icon is still there and still functions properly and lists recently opened files, but the "Clear"...
it saids is ethernet unidentified network? no internet access sharing option is off. i try restarting the pc:( it use to work fine until the update bridging network cable
Notify to Schedule Restart - Time in Windows Updates and Activation
I'm currently deciding whether to upgrade to Windows 10 or not from Windows 8.1. The main thing that will prevent me from upgrading is whether I can regain some form of control over automatic restarts after automatic windows updates. I understand...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:46.
Find Us