Anniversary update failed - After, no updates available?


  1. Posts : 58
    Windows 10
       #1

    Anniversary update failed - After, no updates available?


    I just updated my 64-bit PC with the anniversary update, as confirmed by the changes to the notification at far right, and all programs showing on the start menu.

    But then, I tried the update on my 32-bit PC, which I started and let run while away from it. When I came back, Windows had restarted, so I assumed that it had updated. However, the notification icon is still to the left of the date in task bar and the start menu at left, still as it was. As it appeared the update did not work, I went into Windows updates again, where I was advised there were none available.

    I assumed that if it failed, that it would be available again under updates, however now not sure what happened?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Update: Found the Windows Update Assistant and running it shows that I had 1511 version and not the Anniversary 1607. I'm thinking now that the updates were all for 1511 and not the anniversary update.
    Anyway, continued with the 1607 update that fully downloaded, verified and started the update. About 15% of the way, it failed with error 0x80070570. Tried it twice with same result. Any ideas?
    Last edited by Coastalguy; 19 Sep 2016 at 18:46.
      My Computer

  2. dalchina's Avatar
    Posts : 30,510
    Win 10 Pro (1903)
       #2

    Hello, the way to approach this to do a search for
    0x80070570 "windows 10"

    Here's one of many I found:
    Error code: (0x80070570) : Windows10

    Hope it helps.. please post back if not.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 58
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #3

    dalchina said:
    Hello, the way to approach this to do a search for
    0x80070570 "windows 10"

    Here's one of many I found:
    Error code: (0x80070570) : Windows10

    Hope it helps.. please post back if not.
    Here we go again.......
    Had spent 1/2 hour googling for that code, with numerous similar results. The few that were for the exact error, did not show the fix you provided. Anyway, did the fix and it then ran through the entire download, confirm and update to the restart. After the restart, it updated to about 15% and then provided a message that there was a problem and it would restart. After the restart, it restored the original version.

    I had spent months trying to do the original update from 7 to 10 with the similar problem. I finally had to do a clean install of 10 and re-installing all of the software. Seems that if 10 was successfully installed as a clean one, that an upgrade would not have any problems. All drivers still with whatever 10 used, so don't see this as a problem?

    Any solutions on this? No error was given, which was my complaint on the original install, so I don't even have anything to search for........ this is really frustrating!!!
      My Computer

  4. dalchina's Avatar
    Posts : 30,510
    Win 10 Pro (1903)
       #4

    Hello, Two very basic possibilities to consider:
    If you are using a downloaded Win 10 iso or boot medium, does the language match?
    Was your downloaded Win 10 corrupt in some way?
    Solved Windows upgrade failed 0x80070570 0x200C - Windows 10 Forums

    You may find a log here: see if it tells you anything useful. I agree, it's frustrating to the nth degree struggling with unhelpful and arcane error messages that often tell you effectively no more than 'something went wrong'.

    Win 10 AU upgrade:
    Hopefully you'll see a log here: C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\setuperr.log


    Please post a screenshot of diskmgmt.msc (Disk Management) or your favourite partition manager showing your disks.

    Do you have any unallocated space on your system disk? And do you have, say 30Gb free on your system partition?

    Seems that if 10 was successfully installed as a clean one, that an upgrade would not have any problems.
    Not necessarily, alas.

    Let's check your disk (note- I don't know what you have).
    From an admin command prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:

    Do you have a bootable version of the anniversary upgrade? Best to have one, then you can use it several times without downloading, and then it's available for recovery purposes as bootable medium. The media creation tool will let you create a bootable medium directly, or you can download an iso and DIY.
    Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Forums

    Next time you try, disconnect any unnecessary peripherals, do a clean boot, disable your AV.
    Last edited by dalchina; 20 Sep 2016 at 14:11.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 58
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #5

    dalchina said:
    Hello, Two very basic possibilities to consider:
    If you are using a downloaded Win 10 iso or boot medium, does the language match?
    Was your downloaded Win 10 corrupt in some way?
    Solved Windows upgrade failed 0x80070570 0x200C - Windows 10 Forums

    You may find a log here: see if it tells you anything useful. I agree, it's frustrating to the nth degree struggling with unhelpful and arcane error messages that often tell you effectively no more than 'something went wrong'.

    Win 10 AU upgrade:
    Hopefully you'll see a log here: C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\setuperr.log


    Please post a screenshot of diskmgmt.msc (Disk Management) or your favourite partition manager showing your disks
    Do you have any unallocated space on your system disk? And do you have, say 30Gb free on your system partition?

    Not necessarily, alas.

    Let's check your disk (note- I don't know what you have).
    From an admin command prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:

    Do you have a bootable version of the anniversary upgrade? Best to have one, then you can use it several times without downloading, and then it's available for recovery purposes as bootable medium. The media creation tool will let you create a bootable medium directly, or you can download an iso and DIY.
    Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Forums

    Next time you try, disconnect any unnecessary peripherals, do a clean boot, disable your AV.
    Ok, did the chkdsk on C:, which as you stated was on restart. Went to 100% but did not provide any further messages as to whether it fixed or was clear. It then restarts to Windows.
    I am using the Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant, which apparently has downloaded 10 somewhere, as it only does a quick verify, and then runs the upgrade to where it restarts. It then goes to 13% and fails, restoring the prior version 1511. Do you think an ISO would be better?

    I have a copy of my Disk Management drives, but not sure how to provide it, if you still want it. Also, cannot access the setuperr.log, due to permissions. Tried changing the security, but still will not let me read it.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 58
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #6

    Downloaded the media creation tool and created a dvd for the upgrade. Figured I needed to boot from it, but when selecting upgrade, it advised to install inside of windows. Did that and the upgrade ran completely. Now have 1607.....hooray! Problem now is that my Netgear WNDA3100v2 usb wireless does not work. Tried uninstalling and re-installing software from dvd, and also downloaded latest from Netgear, and both freeze on the advice that it is still installing. I did get a message to insert the usb stick, but the software would not recognize it. Windows did it's tone though, so windows sees it but not the sofware. Anyone know of any problem with Netgear and 1607? I now do not have my wireless to the router.
      My Computer

  7. dalchina's Avatar
    Posts : 30,510
    Win 10 Pro (1903)
       #7

    Hi, sorry, missed the link to tell you how to get the chkdsk results when I copied the text:
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!
    - guess that fixed something.

    Great- glad the upgrade worked. Yes, you upgrade from Windows booted to normal mode.

    There are some significant updates to 1607.. current build is 14393.187
    (Windows key + R, winver)
    - so worth checking Windows update if yours is behind.

    The last was large, and stuck whilst downloading for many - see the long post in News here - 'fixes' from mine at post #137 onwards, + direct download links.

    Suggest you start a new post in the Drivers section, with an appropriate title- will make it visible to the right people.
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 58
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #8

    dalchina said:
    Hi, sorry, missed the link to tell you how to get the chkdsk results when I copied the text:
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!
    - guess that fixed something.

    Great- glad the upgrade worked. Yes, you upgrade from Windows booted to normal mode.

    There are some significant updates to 1607.. current build is 14393.187
    (Windows key + R, winver)
    - so worth checking Windows update if yours is behind.

    The last was large, and stuck whilst downloading for many - see the long post in News here - 'fixes' from mine at post #137 onwards, + direct download links.

    Suggest you start a new post in the Drivers section, with an appropriate title- will make it visible to the right people.
    Have version 14393.0, but can't check for updates as I can't get online.
      My Computer

  9. dalchina's Avatar
    Posts : 30,510
    Win 10 Pro (1903)
       #9

    Solved Just upgraded to Windows 10, no internet connection - Page 3 - Windows 10 Forums
    #25 is interesting - the certificate.

    ** Presumably the drivers you were installing were 32 bit drivers...
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:57.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums