Windows 10: 1607 WSUS server updates - possibly not working?
1607 WSUS server updates - possibly not working?
Being the IT guy at work, I upgraded myself (actually did a fresh reinstall) to Windows 10 Enterprise build 1607. Hoping I could find any potential problems before the rest of the company gets it - they're still on 1511.
We have a Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) server running on Server 2012 R2 that I have configured and essentially left alone for several months - it automatically approves "critical" and "security" updates, and the rest I have to approve/deny manually (like the version upgrades)
I've noticed that since installing the build a couple weeks ago, NO updates have been installed at all! And I tried to do them manually, it seems they get to 98% "downloading" and then just sit there for hours and nothing happens.
But what's stranger is that I don't see the "search online for updates" option that the other clients would show - which is how you know it's configured to connect to WSUS instead of Microsoft directly.
Here's what my Updates page looks like:
We also have, in the Group Policy settings, the auto-restart time as 3am and to install them automatically (the reverse of what I've seen others on this forum want to do)
As you can see here my update history is blank...
I've tried cleaning the update cache (by stopping the service and deleting the SoftwareDistribution folder) and that didn't help. Several reboots later and still no updates, they just get stuck at 98%.
I notice this
Shouldn't that option be disabled by Group Policy if it's using the WSUS server like it should? I can try disabling it myself, but I'm curious why it's enabled in the first place.
So far everything else GPO-wise seems to be working (like the power settings, mapped drives and printers, etc) but it just does not want to download updates from our update server.
Is there maybe a WSUS update I need on the server? Under "WSUS" updates I don't see any besides the 13 I already approved months ago, but I remember in order to approve the 1511 update for clients I had to grab a .msu file from Microsoft, it wasn't automatic.
Edit: here's the GPO itself:
Using gpresult as both user and computer scope shows that the policy has been applied, so I'm at a loss here.
One small point
You may benefit from looking at the following forum posts that I've been following because Win 10 1607 has a well-known issue with pulling updates from a WSUS server.
Windows 10 1607...any luck getting updates off WSUS? - Ars Technica OpenForum
Windows 10 ver 1607 having difficulty with getting updates from WSUS - Spiceworks - Page 6
I would also recommend looking for any other group policy that is setting the policy that removes access to Windows Update functions in the Computer section. I see that you have that disabled in the User section, but in the Administrative Templates\Network\Network Communication there is another policy that can remove the "search online for udpates" option.
I have a new system with a fresh install of Win 10 Enterprise 1607 (x64) that is connected to a domain with a group policy to NOT automatically download and install updates. The existing Win 10 Enterprise 1511 systems display the heading "Some...
My computer is on an AD domain and we have a WSUS server serving updates. However only certain categories of updates are auto approved so typically what I used to do with windows 7 is every once in a while click "Check for updates from microsoft"...
I'm running WSUS 3.0 on a Windows Server 2012 R2. It doesn't seem to recognize a Windows 10 machine because my Windows 10 Pro x64 machines are listed as "Vista" on my WSUS Server.
No WSUS update has been issued to bring WSUS up-to-date.
This forum mainly concerns software or software related hardware issues, and this post concerns neither, but I know that there are some pretty hardware-savvy people on here. I have a PC from my Dad which was fried as a result of a close lightning...
Yesterday my start menu suddenly stopped working. In it's place I had a little white house icon on the task bar. I finally figured out that that was a Lenovo product called Pokki that was apparently designed to replace the missing...