Update 19405

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 251
    Windows 10 Home Version 20H2 Build 19042
       #1

    Update 19405


    I don't know how but after this update I can't power down. I have to use the switch. Ideas please
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 61,516
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
       #2

    Hello enigma, :)

    This is a known issue in build 14905.

    Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14905 for PC and Mobile

    Known issues for PC
    • When clicking on the power button on the Start menu, it closes the Start menu without opening the flyout with restart/shutdown options appearing. As a workaround – you can right-click on the Start button (or WIN + X) and choose to shutdown via this menu instead.


    See also: Shut Down Computer in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 11,172
    Windows / Linux : Arch Linux
       #3

    Hi there

    I KNOW that insider builds are test builds but surely powering off and on a computer is the most basic operation there is -- how can Ms let this software out of the door with that defect in it -- don't they do ANY testing these days !!!!!

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 4,172
    Windows 10 Pro x64 Latest RP
       #4

    Does this happen with all copies or is it device specific? If it's all systems then I agree it should not be in the wild. But it's still better than Lotus sending out official cd's with a virus included for free ( the good old days of working on the wild frontier :) )

    Update 19405-keep-calm-alt-f4-5.png
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 251
    Windows 10 Home Version 20H2 Build 19042
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Brink said:
    Hello enigma, :)

    This is a known issue in build 14905.

    Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14905 for PC and Mobile

    Known issues for PC
    • When clicking on the power button on the Start menu, it closes the Start menu without opening the flyout with restart/shutdown options appearing. As a workaround – you can right-click on the Start button (or WIN + X) and choose to shutdown via this menu instead.


    See also: Shut Down Computer in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    OK thanks Works fine
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 3,257
    Windows 10 Pro
       #6

    jimbo45 said:
    Hi there

    I KNOW that insider builds are test builds but surely powering off and on a computer is the most basic operation there is -- how can Ms let this software out of the door with that defect in it -- don't they do ANY testing these days !!!!!

    Cheers
    jimbo
    I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 13,565
    Windows10
       #7

    jimbo45 said:
    Hi there

    I KNOW that insider builds are test builds but surely powering off and on a computer is the most basic operation there is -- how can Ms let this software out of the door with that defect in it -- don't they do ANY testing these days !!!!!

    Cheers
    jimbo
    It is worse - they recognise this is an issue!
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 3,257
    Windows 10 Pro
       #8

    cereberus said:
    It is worse - they recognise this is an issue!
    I really can't tell who's being serious and who isn't, but in the off case you are being serious, then you really need to change your understanding of how Windows 10 is developed.

    MS release "snapshots" of the development process to insiders. These "snapshots" are in various stages of change, and as is often the case with change, some things may not be fully complete, or are even broken. MS isn't trying to get you to find these kinds of bugs, they already know they exist. They are looking for feedback on the direction of things, and they are looking to run this on millions of machines and receive the telemetry on them (something they could never do in their own environment).

    As is always the case, if you aren't willing to deal with bugs, you shouldn't be in the insider program. Known bugs will always be released in insider builds, because.. guess what? It's not finished.

    This is by no means a claim that the "finished" version is bug-free, but there is a huge difference between the "old" way of beta testing Windows and the new way...

    Think about it like this. Suppose you are having a house built, or remodeled. At some point, the builder asks you to come take a look at the progress. However, when you arrive you find that the walls aren't even up! And there is only a flimsy door on this thing, that will never stop a burglar! They could just climb in through the spots where the windows are supposed to be! They must be incompetent right?
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 10,255
    Wndows 10 Pro x64 release preview channel
       #9

    Mystere said:
    I really can't tell who's being serious and who isn't, but in the off case you are being serious, then you really need to change your understanding of how Windows 10 is developed.

    MS release "snapshots" of the development process to insiders. These "snapshots" are in various stages of change, and as is often the case with change, some things may not be fully complete, or are even broken. MS isn't trying to get you to find these kinds of bugs, they already know they exist. They are looking for feedback on the direction of things, and they are looking to run this on millions of machines and receive the telemetry on them (something they could never do in their own environment).

    As is always the case, if you aren't willing to deal with bugs, you shouldn't be in the insider program. Known bugs will always be released in insider builds, because.. guess what? It's not finished.

    This is by no means a claim that the "finished" version is bug-free, but there is a huge difference between the "old" way of beta testing Windows and the new way...

    Think about it like this. Suppose you are having a house built, or remodeled. At some point, the builder asks you to come take a look at the progress. However, when you arrive you find that the walls aren't even up! And there is only a flimsy door on this thing, that will never stop a burglar! They could just climb in through the spots where the windows are supposed to be! They must be incompetent right?
    Mystere there a large difference between the severity of bugs. I agree with most of your post, however Microsoft should not let a build out of their doors which has a bug which means a hard shutdown is needed, not even on Insider builds.
    That's the main reason I've gone over to Relese Preview builds for now.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 3,257
    Windows 10 Pro
       #10

    DooGie said:
    Mystere there a large difference between the severity of bugs. I agree with most of your post, however Microsoft should not let a build out of their doors which has a bug which means a hard shutdown is needed, not even on Insider builds.
    That's the main reason I've gone over to Relese Preview builds for now.
    A hard shutdown isn't needed. MS documented in the Known Issues that you could use the Alt-X menu to shutdown. There are also several other options to shutdown (such as the shutdown command prompt command).
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:06.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums