Windows 10: Anyone else having problems with Anniversary Update?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    10 Aug 2016 #1

    Anyone else having problems with Anniversary Update?


    After waiting for it to show up, I went to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...setting_client and asked for the upgrade. After a few hours of downloading + installing I turned on my desktop and it froze (a message said: The Application is not responding, the program may respond again if you wait) so I choose to revert. That did not go well, and ended up having to re install a earlier System Image but that has updated to version 14393 from August 9. However, none of the new features are included.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    10 Aug 2016 #2

    The updating process itself hung . . . that is, it went on for 12 hours, before I intervened by re-booting, then it did finally finish.
    A few non-essential programs failed to work after the update, and the update switched my sound driver from Audigy to RealTech . . . mostly easy repairs.
    The update also 'un-labeled' my 'D' drive, so all pointers to it failed, but of course I was easily able to 're-label' that drive . . .
    That's all I've noticed so far . . . not very smooth as updates go.

    -now, noting the above-mentioned problems, if I were not as somewhat Win10 tech-savvy as I am, the Anniversary Update would have rendered my machine 'unuseable', for the things that I do, most of which are on the 'D' drive and sound related.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 367
    Windows 10 Home x64
       10 Aug 2016 #3

    Everything about W10 seems to have been rushed and not a finished product, I know that any OS is never going to be a finished product, but this seems worse than earlier MS OS's.

    The RTM last year seemed to download and install without as many problems as subsequent "updates" There hasn't been any noticeable problems with the monthly Tuesday updates, it's the big new version updates that seem to cause problems.

    I had to go the iso route to install the Nov. update 1511, WU wouldn't download it, it always failed even though other updates downloaded and installed just fine. Now the AU 1607 update, as happened to you it would have rendered your box unusable had you not been computer savvy.

    Wonder how many users are still on the initial RTM? I'll bet more than MS would like to admit, or is even aware of, so far the entire W10 introduction has been a real crap shoot. Some have big problems, computers unusable, others experience lesser problems, mostly with updating to the present version. And there are those that haven't had any problems, it just seems basic operations such as installing the OS are failing at a higher rate than should be.

    The entire process seems somewhat amateurish for a well established, experienced company like MS. The W10 OS is a year old and still users have trouble updating it through normal established procedures. That is a problem.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    10 Aug 2016 #4

    CmmTch said: View Post
    Everything about W10 seems to have been rushed and not a finished product, I know that any OS is never going to be a finished product, but this seems worse than earlier MS OS's.

    The RTM last year seemed to download and install without as many problems as subsequent "updates" There hasn't been any noticeable problems with the monthly Tuesday updates, it's the big new version updates that seem to cause problems.

    I had to go the iso route to install the Nov. update 1511, WU wouldn't download it, it always failed even though other updates downloaded and installed just fine. Now the AU 1607 update, as happened to you it would have rendered your box unusable had you not been computer savvy.

    Wonder how many users are still on the initial RTM? I'll bet more than MS would like to admit, or is even aware of, so far the entire W10 introduction has been a real crap shoot. Some have big problems, computers unusable, others experience lesser problems, mostly with updating to the present version. And there are those that haven't had any problems, it just seems basic operations such as installing the OS are failing at a higher rate than should be.

    The entire process seems somewhat amateurish for a well established, experienced company like MS. The W10 OS is a year old and still users have trouble updating it through normal established procedures. That is a problem.
    Naturally an OS as complex as Windows must content with thousands of possible hardware combinations and yet still work! It is no small miracle that it manages to do so the vast majority of the times...even on older hardware...quite a remarkable feat actually.

    Apple makes its own hardware and OS so one would expect it to work flawlessly since the system is closed.

    Windows on the other hand doesn't have that advantage and is still the most widely used OS in the world!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    11 Aug 2016 #5

    This new update has been nothing but a pain in the ass for me. The first time it rebooted, it took over 20 minutes to prepare, and I was greeted with a blank grey screen. Rebooted, managed to log in, and found that my taskbar, for the most part, was unresponsive, and the Start Menu button was, as well. The only things I could do were open Explorer and Chrome. Both were extremely unstable and froze or crashed often. I ended up rebooting, restoring to previous build, and attempting the update again. SAME result. So I had no choice but to revert again, back up my files, and do a fresh install.
    Things have been rather weird. My internet kept breaking, Chrome was freezing, and even Task Manager wasn't responding. After a while, I got the internet going and Chrome was responsive, and I was able to update and install Windows Pro features, then it rebooted without asking me. Since then, it's MOSTLY been working fine. Internet still disconnects for no reason every now and then.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    12 Aug 2016 #6

    The other night I watched my Surface Pro 3 failing to install the Anniversary Update three times(!) before it finally managed on the fourth try. And yes, I watched it all, I even clicked "Restart now" several times. It was not a very exciting watch, to say the least... Now I have several of the issues reported around the web.

    Note that this is not on a hodge podge home-brewed computer put together of mixed spare parts from a computer junk yard, this is Microsoft's own hardware, Surface Pro 3, what MS themselves claim to be specifically designed to run W10, so the argument that W10 has the problem that it must work on so many different types of hardware does not hold; it does not work correctly on MS' own hardware!

    I like Windows. I do not want anything Apple. I don't want to spend the time to fiddle with Linux. Chromebook... where's the apps? But I am afraid that MS is slowly losing it and windows may soon just be a memory; the OS/2 of the 2020's...
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    13 Aug 2016 #7

    I have always generally been a fan of MS including xbox, i had win8 and like it, despite the bandwagon of undeserved hate it worked, out of the box and every update after. Ive been on the insider group for win10 and on the whole its worked, its just this latest 1607 update thats screwed up. If windows is now a "service" i dont get how picky and fragile win10 is, that they expect the general public to fix issues or get iso's to install from utter clean because thats the only way its going to work...I don't call that a "service"
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    13 Aug 2016 #8

    GuyInDogSuit said: View Post
    This new update has been nothing but a pain in the ass for me. The first time it rebooted, it took over 20 minutes to prepare, and I was greeted with a blank grey screen. Rebooted, managed to log in, and found that my taskbar, for the most part, was unresponsive, and the Start Menu button was, as well. The only things I could do were open Explorer and Chrome. Both were extremely unstable and froze or crashed often. I ended up rebooting, restoring to previous build, and attempting the update again. SAME result. So I had no choice but to revert again, back up my files, and do a fresh install.
    Things have been rather weird. My internet kept breaking, Chrome was freezing, and even Task Manager wasn't responding. After a while, I got the internet going and Chrome was responsive, and I was able to update and install Windows Pro features, then it rebooted without asking me. Since then, it's MOSTLY been working fine. Internet still disconnects for no reason every now and then.
    Feature update to Windows 10, version 1607
    I've tried three times to install this update. It seems to update ok but on the next power up half the icons are blank (white) and the hourglass is on constantly if I point the mouse to the notification bar. luckily I got the free Macrium Revert but the sodding update downloads again. I really don't know how to resolve this.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    13 Aug 2016 #9

    I've spent most of the lat 4 days trying to get the AU to install on my Version 1511 Build 10586.545 system that runs perfectly. All my attempts to upgrade have failed. From what I can tell the AU is a binary issue - either it installs successfully, or it does not. And if not, the chances of ever getting it to install are very close to zero.

    It would be interesting to know what percent of upgrades are successful.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    13 Aug 2016 #10

    ricequeen4u said: View Post
    luckily I got the free Macrium Revert but the sodding update downloads again. I really don't know how to resolve this.
    I too used Reflect to restore my system. Then I used services.msc in an Admin command prompt window to set the Windows Update service to disabled status. I think that will stop the update from trying to automatically install itself.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
I updated my Windows 10 using media creation tools, after ~3hrs the update completed, but I had a problem. The OS couldnt access my external hdd. Because of that I decided to rollback, my hdd worked again. After checking that the update was in fact...
I use Windows Home and find the inability to disable the Lock Screen on login really annoying. I used to use the registry fix on this forum but this no longer works. In Spotlight Mode, the correct Lock Screen background is shown when I use...
Hi, I just downloaded and installed the Windows 10 Anniversary Update yesterday and so far I have noticed some changes in my computer that I was not aware of before the update. (1) Somehow my System Restore was set to Disabled and all of my...
After updated windows, I found that the recovery partition divided into 2 parts and 1 weird partition. How can I deal with this? Cause this looks not normal at all. 94201
I am downloading the update manually. Have others had the same issue with windows update not showing the update? I'm not sure my WU is working because of this.
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:35.
Find Us