Installation and Activation of Windows 10 Pro

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
  1. alphanumeric's Avatar
    Posts : 14,091
    Windows 10 IoT
       #41

    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/.../hh824952.aspx

    I was asked not to post the full generic keys in the past so I won't. If you run showkey on an install that is activated with a Digital License it will show you the matching key.
    The one ending in -3V66T is for 10 Pro, Home I think ends in -HCFC6. I can't find the text document I saved that info too at the moment.
      My Computer

  2. Wynona's Avatar
    Posts : 28,001
    Windows 10 20H2 Build 19042.928
    Thread Starter
       #42

    alphanumeric said:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-ca/.../hh824952.aspx

    I was asked not to post the full generic keys in the past so I won't. If you run showkey on an install that is activated with a Digital License it will show you the matching key.
    The one ending in -3V66T is for 10 Pro, Home I think ends in -HCFC6. I can't find the text document I saved that info too at the moment.
    Thanks, Alpha! I think I can go back and recreate it now.

    BTW, I have my Windows 8.1 Pro product key, so I should be good to go. I will do a clean install within the next few new Builds, so I'll be ready for 'em now!
      My Computer

  3. alphanumeric's Avatar
    Posts : 14,091
    Windows 10 IoT
       #43

    Wynona said:
    Thanks, Alpha! I think I can go back and recreate it now.

    BTW, I have my Windows 8.1 Pro product key, so I should be good to go. I will do a clean install within the next few new Builds, so I'll be ready for 'em now!
    I can PM you the list of generic keys if you want? I know where its saved on my desktop PC, just can't find it on my laptop at the moment.
      My Computer

  4. Wynona's Avatar
    Posts : 28,001
    Windows 10 20H2 Build 19042.928
    Thread Starter
       #44

    alphanumeric said:
    I can PM you the list of generic keys if you want? I know where its saved on my desktop PC, just can't find it on my laptop at the moment.
    Thanks, but since I have the necessary retail product keys, I don't guess I need the generics. Besides, if I remember correctly, for some reason, the generics didn't work with PID.txt. I don't have a clue why, though.
      My Computer

  5. alphanumeric's Avatar
    Posts : 14,091
    Windows 10 IoT
       #45

    The generic key is the one I use in my PID.txt file. Windows will install with those keys no problem. They will only activate if there is a matching DL on the activation server, though. If Windows 10 was never activated on a PC and you use that key it won't activate. Or if you use the Home key and the DL is for Pro, etc. They will work if all the ducks are in a row though.
      My Computer

  6. Wynona's Avatar
    Posts : 28,001
    Windows 10 20H2 Build 19042.928
    Thread Starter
       #46

    alphanumeric said:
    The generic key is the one I use in my PID.txt file. Windows will install with those keys no problem. They will only activate if there is a matching DL on the activation server, though. If Windows 10 was never activated on a PC and you use that key it won't activate. Or if you use the Home key and the DL is for Pro, etc. They will work if all the ducks are in a row though.
    For this machine, I had Windows 10 Pro upgraded from Windows 8.1 Pro upgraded from Windows 8.1 Core, so the generic key should have worked, but it didn't. I don't know why, though.
      My Computer

  7. alphanumeric's Avatar
    Posts : 14,091
    Windows 10 IoT
       #47

    Works for me from a PID.txt. I've done it that way on several PC's. First time I got Home instead of Pro, I did a change product key and typed it in manually. Windows then upgraded to Pro, rebooted, and activated automatically with the DL it already had. It's what ever works for you in the end that counts though. I keep track of every product code I've used and what PC they were used on. Just in case I want to reinstall an older OS for testing etc. No worrying about activation failing either. I really wish there was an option to override the auto key detection built into the setup. Give a message "this key found, do you want use it, yes or no?".
      My Computer


 
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:33.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums