Recurring Defender Update


  1. Posts : 277
    windows 10
       #1

    Recurring Defender Update


    Every time I check for Windows Updates I get the recurring Windows Defender Update it installs and then I see it again next time I believe the update ended in 8602
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 5,171
    Windows 11 Home
       #2

    Try to perform a standard maintenance:

    Run CMD as admin and copy/paste:

    chkdsk /scan
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
    winmgmt /salvagerepository
    cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & cleanmgr /sagerun:65535
    ________________________________________________________

    If it did not help, clean Windows Updates folder:

    Run CMD as admin and copy/paste:

    taskkill /im TiWorker.exe /f
    net stop bits /y
    net stop cryptSvc /y
    net stop UsoSvc /y
    net stop winmgmt /y
    taskkill /im TiWorker.exe /f
    net stop wuauserv /y
    rmdir "%systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution\Download" /s /q
    del "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr0.dat"
    del "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr1.dat"
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 277
    windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #3

    AFTommy said:
    Every time I check for Windows Updates I get the recurring Windows Defender Update it installs and then I see it again next time I believe the update ended in 8602
    Tried recommended actions by Tairiku Okami with no change. Thank you for your advice
    Recurring Defender Update-update-error.jpg
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 3,502
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3
       #4

    AFTommy said:
    Every time I check for Windows Updates I get the recurring Windows Defender Update it installs and then I see it again next time I believe the update ended in 8602
    AFTommy said:
    Tried recommended actions by Tairiku Okami with no change. Thank you for your advice

    Recurring Defender Update-update-error.jpg
    That is the KB assigned to Virus definitions - you might see that many times a day when the package gets new virus signature(s).

    Look closely at the image you posted and note the version in parenthesis (Definition #.#.# .... ) - it changes, not the KB#
    Write down the version # and compare it to the next definition offered.

    If the next virus definition download offered has the same version #, then there is an issue that needs to be addressed.
    Otherwise it is normal behavior.
    Last edited by Slartybart; 31 Jul 2016 at 23:14. Reason: shrink aft's image
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 2,818
    Windows 10 Home (x64) Version 21H1 (build 19043.1202)
       #5

    Mine does that 2-3 times a day I just let it get on with it at least I know my system is protected.
    Better than not doing it and system crashes
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 460
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #6

    It was that way in Win7 MSE too (the little castle) The KB was always the same number regardless of the definition date/version.

    If it's downloading that KB number then it's the latest definitions for Defender.
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 277
    windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #7

    Thank you...DUH my bad

    Slartybart said:
    That is the KB assigned to Virus definitions - you might see that many times a day when the package gets new virus signature(s).

    Look closely at the image you posted and note the version in parenthesis (Definition #.#.# .... ) - it changes, not the KB#
    Write down the version # and compare it to the next definition offered.

    If the next virus definition download offered has the same version #, then there is an issue that needs to be addressed.
    Otherwise it is normal behavior.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:33.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums