Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    11 Jul 2016 #1
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 234
    Windows 10, 8.1, 7, and Vista

    Selling my motherboard. How do I "unactivate" Windows 10 on it?


    So I'm upgrading the processor on my gaming computer. Therefore, I need to sell the motherboard.

    On this computer, originally it had Windows 7, later upgraded to Windows 10.

    Since W10 uses hardware activation, how do I "un-activate" Windows 10 on this motherboard? I don't want to give the new owner a free W10 license (Sorry, I'm not that nice).

    If it matters, I had RETAIL Windows 7 Home Premium before upgrading to W10. This SHOULD allow me to install and activate W7 on my new motherboard with no issues, and then later upgrade to W10, right?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    11 Jul 2016 #2
    Join Date : Sep 2014
    New Zealand
    Posts : 42
    Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit

    You do not need to "unactivate" anything. Just sell the motherboard and install your retail windows 7 on the new system. Just make sure you upgrade it to Windows 10 before the end of the month or you will have to pay for the upgrade.

    Your old motherboard will have to have a new operating system installed on it so will have a different key and will not be shown as your activation any longer
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    11 Jul 2016 #3
    Join Date : May 2015
    Central IL
    Posts : 3,982
    Mac OS Sierra

    Just make sure to go into your Live account and remove it from there, if you are using a Roaming Profile instead of a Local account.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    11 Jul 2016 #4
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 234
    Windows 10, 8.1, 7, and Vista
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Mc Ruff View Post
    Your old motherboard will have to have a new operating system installed on it so will have a different key and will not be shown as your activation any longer
    But if the new owner connects to the internet, won't it automatically activate? I don't understand why you're saying it WON'T activate.

    Quote Originally Posted by bro67 View Post
    Just make sure to go into your Live account and remove it from there, if you are using a Roaming Profile instead of a Local account.
    I don't have a Live account so my activation is not linked to an online account.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    11 Jul 2016 #5
    Join Date : May 2015
    Central IL
    Posts : 3,982
    Mac OS Sierra

    If not linked to a Microsoft Live account, you are fine. If you are just selling the Motherboard, the person buying it if you do not already have someone in mind, could be using it for a Linux Server or NAS. Now if you are selling the whole unit, I would sell it as a No OS installed. You find a lot of them on Newegg under the Refurb section all of the time.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    11 Jul 2016 #6
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,120
    Windows 10 Pro

    The new owner will be able to install the same version of Windows 10 you had installed on it and it will activate with a digital entitlement. There's nothing you can do about it, that's Microsoft's problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mc Ruff View Post
    Your old motherboard will have to have a new operating system installed on it so will have a different key and will not be shown as your activation any longer
    Not if the same version of Windows 10 is installed on it. Windows 10 activations coming from upgrades from Windows 7/8/8.1 are based on digital entitlements created and stored on Microsoft activation servers based on the hardware ID of the motherboard. The product key stays the same. All Windows 10 Pro upgrades from Windows 7/8/8.1 get product key VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T, for example.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    11 Jul 2016 #7
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 234
    Windows 10, 8.1, 7, and Vista
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Not if the same version of Windows 10 is installed on it. Windows 10 activations coming from upgrades from Windows 7/8/8.1 are based on digital entitlements created and stored on Microsoft activation servers based on the hardware ID of the motherboard. The product key stays the same. All Windows 10 Pro upgrades from Windows 7/8/8.1 get product key VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T, for example.
    Thanks for the clarification.

    But on my new motherboard and new CPU, will I be able to activate my W7 retail fine, and then get a digital entitlement for W10 Home as well?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    11 Jul 2016 #8
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,120
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by bobjoe View Post
    Thanks for the clarification.

    But on my new motherboard and new CPU, will I be able to activate my W7 retail fine, and then get a digital entitlement for W10 Home as well?
    Yep. The only problem you might have is that the Windows 7 product key might be blocked from automatic online activation. All that means is that you will have to call the toll free activation phone number and tell the computer voice that you have that copy of Windows 7 installed on only one computer.

    My three license family pack Windows 7 product key is blocked from automatic online activation and that is what I have to do to transfer it legally to a new computer.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    11 Jul 2016 #9
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 234
    Windows 10, 8.1, 7, and Vista
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Yep. The only problem you might have is that the Windows 7 product key might be blocked from automatic online activation. All that means is that you will have to call the toll free activation phone number and tell the computer voice that you have that copy of Windows 7 installed on only one computer.

    My three license family pack Windows 7 product key is blocked from automatic online activation and that is what I have to do to transfer it legally to a new computer.
    Thanks for your quick response. I guess MS is so desperate to get everyone on W10 that they don't allow you to unregister it from your mobo. Huh!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    12 Jul 2016 #10
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,120
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by bobjoe View Post
    Thanks for your quick response. I guess MS is so desperate to get everyone on W10 that they don't allow you to unregister it from your mobo. Huh!
    I think it is more a purely financial decision. It would just cost more money to write the code and modify the activation process than it would make for them. How much money is Microsoft going to lose when a person buys a used motherboard or computer on ebay that had a digital entitlement assigned to it from an upgrade of a retail Windows 7/8/8.1 and the new owner, with no previous Windows license, re-installs Windows 10 on it? And in order for Microsoft to recover the cost even if they did make a way for a user to revoke the digital entitlement, the new owner would have to put a newly purchased Windows license on it.

    I know if I was in charge of Microsoft, it's something that I wouldn't bother with :-).
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Can't open "Windows Update Settings" or "Check for Updates"
Hello guys, I don't know what I did, but nothing happens when I click on those two things in the search bar: View image: wtf I reinstalled Windows a few hours ago, and IIRC pressing those with the mouse lead somewhere. Now when I click on...
Windows Updates and Activation
Can't click on "Check for Updates" "Windows Update settings" on Start
So I have this weird thing happening in my relatively fresh install of Windows 10. Whenever I search for "Check for Updates" or "Windows Update settings" on the search box of the start menu, I get the results that I want but if I press enter or...
Windows Updates and Activation
Solved delete "saved password" and "form data" from microsoft edge manually
Hello how can I delete "saved password" and "form data" of microsoft edge manually ?! after too much search in google .... I trid to delete some value of the following registry address HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local...
Browsers and Email
Solved Cannot open "Network & Internet" from Windows 10 "Settings"
I do have my WiFi internet working, I can access internet all right. But if I go to Windows 10 Settings and then try to open "Network & Internet", it takes forever and it does not load. While that happens, performance temporarily decreases, even...
Network and Sharing
Solved Searching not working for "Windows Update", "Sound", etc.
I've installed Build 10041 and upgrade to 10049 three times now, each time I was able to do a search for Windows Update or Sound which would show me the correct results but this time, I'm not getting the right results. In the past I would do a Reset...
Software and Apps
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:08.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums