1.    07 Jul 2016 #1
    Join Date : Oct 2015
    Posts : 14
    Windows 10

    Out of room error


    I'm trying to go from 8.1 to Windows 10 and Drive C has 650 gigs free but Drive D, the restore Drive only have 2.3 gigs free.

    When I run the check it states enough storage and all the other tests pass so it starts the download process. About 30 minutes to an hour later it fails as it is out of space and Drive D only has megs left.

    So is there a way to force the upgrade to download to Drive C?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    07 Jul 2016 #2
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 2,954
    64bit Win 10 Pro ver 1709 Build 16299.125

    If Drive D: is a physically separate drive you should remove it when you install W10, that will prevent Windows from trying to install on D:
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    07 Jul 2016 #3
    Join Date : Oct 2015
    Posts : 14
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by philc43 View Post
    If Drive D: is a physically separate drive you should remove it when you install W10, that will prevent Windows from trying to install on D:
    Scared to do that as this is my boss's laptop and D is the recovery drive so yeah I don't really like that option but thanks anyway.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    07 Jul 2016 #4
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,551
    Windows 10 Pro

    Have you tried upgrading from a Windows 10 USB flash drive or DVD created with either the Media Creation Tool or from an ISO downloaded from Microsoft Tech Bench?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    07 Jul 2016 #5
    Join Date : Oct 2015
    Posts : 14
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Have you tried upgrading from a Windows 10 USB flash drive or DVD created with either the Media Creation Tool or from an ISO downloaded from Microsoft Tech Bench?
    No, if I put a usb flash drive in and start the upgrade process what will make it download to the usb rather than to Drive D? I ask because I don't have one on me and will need to run out to Walmart rather than bring one from home tomorrow.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    07 Jul 2016 #6
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,551
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by mickeylittle View Post
    No, if I put a usb flash drive in and start the upgrade process what will make it download to the usb rather than to Drive D? I ask because I don't have one on me and will need to run out to Walmart rather than bring one from home tomorrow.
    The absolute easiest way to make the Windows 10 USB flash drive is using the Media Creation Tool, option 1 here:
    USB Flash Drive - Create to Install Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

    Then just leave the flash drive inserted with Windows 8 running, and run setup.exe from the flash drive. When the computer reboots during the upgrade, if it should happen to boot from the flash drive and you get the first Windows installation screen asking for language and keyboard layout, just pull the flash drive out and reboot the computer.

    NOTE: even thought the option says "Create installation media for another PC", you can create the installation media on the same computer being upgraded - it does not have to be for "another" PC.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    07 Jul 2016 #7
    Join Date : Oct 2015
    Posts : 14
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    The absolute easiest way to make the Windows 10 USB flash drive is using the Media Creation Tool, option 1 here:
    USB Flash Drive - Create to Install Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

    Then just leave the flash drive inserted with Windows 8 running, and run setup.exe from the flash drive. When the computer reboots during the upgrade, if it should happen to boot from the flash drive and you get the first Windows installation screen asking for language and keyboard layout, just pull the flash drive out and reboot the computer.

    NOTE: even thought the option says "Create installation media for another PC", you can create the installation media on the same computer being upgraded - it does not have to be for "another" PC.
    Looks great. I'll give it a shot in a few minutes! Thank You!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
ways to control a tv/moniotr connected to my pc from another room via
hello every body i needing help with my project, i have connected a tv to my pc using hdmi over cat5 now i'm looking for a way control that monitor from my main one since it is across the house, and also need a way or software to mirror a program...
General Support
This retro game room is something out of a dream
Someone really did it up good.....(22 Photos) Awesome retro gaming room : theCHIVE 56650 56651
Gaming
Windows 10 blue screens only when I am out of the room
I have had Windows 10 spontaneously reboot on me quite a few times since I upgraded to it on my laptop not long ago, and it's happened three times in the last 24 hours. Unfortunately it always happens when I am out of the room, making tea. This...
General Support
The view out your living room window
This is what I see... 239
Chillout Room
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:49.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums