Windows 10: Activation and Purchasing Win10?

  1.    18 Jun 2016 #1

    Activation and Purchasing Win10?


    Hi all,

    I have some questions here below regarding Activation.

    1. If I insert a new hard drive on my notebook and then reinstall Win10, will Win10 still be activated or do I have to purchase another copy of Windows with a different product key for reactivation?
    On my old hard drive, I did a clean install of Win10.

    General question regarding Clean Install and Activation of Win10

    2. As far as my original Win10 installation went, I purchased a copy of Win10 DVD and used the Media Creation Tool to make a USB bootable stick. Then, when I installed Win10, I entered the product key from the Win10 DVD sticker and then I activated it online. So basically, I never had to insert the DVD.
    Is this the overall general practice for users who want to clean install Win10?

    In other words, reading from the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool webpage, it does require users to enter a Product Key. So in this case like me, do people have to go out and purchase a Win10 DVD in order to get the product key and only just use the Media Creation Tool to install Windows?

    That's the way that I did it.



    Thanks!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    18 Jun 2016 #2

    win10freak said: View Post
    1. If I insert a new hard drive on my notebook and then reinstall Win10, will Win10 still be activated or do I have to purchase another copy of Windows with a different product key for reactivation?
    On my old hard drive, I did a clean install of Win10.
    The same product key will reactivate Windows 10 again on that computer.

    win10freak said: View Post
    2. As far as my original Win10 installation went, I purchased a copy of Win10 DVD and used the Media Creation Tool to make a USB bootable stick. Then, when I installed Win10, I entered the product key from the Win10 DVD sticker and then I activated it online. So basically, I never had to insert the DVD.
    Is this the overall general practice for users who want to clean install Win10?
    It is probably not the overall general practice for users who do clean installs. But there is nothing wrong with that method, either.

    win10freak said: View Post
    In other words, reading from the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool webpage, it does require users to enter a Product Key. So in this case like me, do people have to go out and purchase a Win10 DVD in order to get the product key and only just use the Media Creation Tool to install Windows?

    That's the way that I did it.
    Most people are doing upgrades from Windows 7, 8 or 8.1.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    18 Jun 2016 #3

    Thanks!! as always.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.   My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Activation method Win7 v Win10 in Windows Updates and Activation
I just reinstalled Win7 Ultimate x64 on a SLIC-enabled Dell laptop (same OS as the OEM installed) by inserting the appropriate VLK when prompted during installation, followed by running slmgr.vbs -ilc with the appropriate digital certificate once...
Help Please with a Win10 Activation Mystery in Windows Updates and Activation
Hi There, I am now stumped .............. Background: 1) Have previously upgraded & dumped a Win7_64 Ult into Win10_64 Pro and achieved successful online activation. 2) Following 1) & starting with a 'fresh' {OFFLINE} install of W10_64...
good afternoon, I am thinking about purchasing a Dell E6410 laptop later this evening, I would want to update/upgrade it to windows 10 as soon as possible after getting it since I seem to like windows 10 much better than windows 7. I read a few...
activation required win10 in Windows Updates and Activation
Hello, I recently changed my laptop's motherboard, and after few days windows is asking for activation. Although prior changing the motherboard everything was running just fine. I upgraded from win 7 with genuine key.
test of mobo - will this ruin my win10 activation? in Windows Updates and Activation
Hello! My story is this. I had a Gigabyte-mobo that "died" some time ago, and as it was only 2 month old, I send it to RMA. In the meantime Microsoft was giving Windows 10 away, so I did not want to wait weeks before I could join Windows 10. I...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:23.
Find Us