Windows 10: Resetting and Activation with Windows 10

  1.    13 Jun 2016 #1

    Resetting and Activation with Windows 10


    I have a PC running Windows 10 Insider Preview (the current or last build) I would like to give it to my sister and reset to the regular Windows 10, non preview version so I have a couple of questions:

    When resetting will it reset to the same Insider Preview build it is currently on or will it reset to regular Windows 10? And is there any chance Windows will be deactivated after resetting it?

    If I wanted to download the current ISO and reformat the PC with it will it deactivate or will it remain activated?

    Thanks for your help.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    14 Jun 2016 #2

    To the second question. If your W10 was activated on that computer (actually it's MB), you can reinstall or repair W10 as many times as you want and it will be automatically activated on MS server. No need to enter license or anything, in case it asks you while doing clean install, just skip entering it.
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 4,767
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       14 Jun 2016 #3

    Answer to your first question :
    Reset option will reset the SAME preview build to the original state the preview build was installed.

    *** adding :
    Your plan, " giving it to my sister ", calls for installing regular Windows 10. Reset won't do.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    14 Jun 2016 #4

    davidhk said: View Post
    Answer to your first question :
    Reset option will reset the SAME preview build to the original state the preview build was installed.

    *** adding :
    Your plan, " giving it to my sister ", calls for installing regular Windows 10. Reset won't do.
    Of course, it might be easier to just reset pc and leave on Insider version as redstone is due out shortly by end of July, and it will be necessary to upgrade/reinstall again.

    Also, OP does not make it clear if he reverts to official release, if he upgraded from a valid 7/8 licence (or holds a valid 10 licence) - if so, leaving the Insider program may cause it to become deactivated.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 4,767
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       14 Jun 2016 #5

    cereberus said: View Post
    Of course, it might be easier to just reset pc and leave on Insider version as redstone is due out shortly by end of July, and it will be necessary to upgrade/reinstall again.

    Also, OP does not make it clear if he reverts to official release, if he upgraded from a valid 7/8 licence (or holds a valid 10 licence) - if so, leaving the Insider program may cause it to become deactivated.
    Why won't you answer DIRECTLY to the OP ?

    It's the OP who wants to know.

    I've made my answer to the OP based on what he asked.
    If you have different opinion, present yours Directly to the OP.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    14 Jun 2016 #6

    davidhk said: View Post
    Why won't you answer DIRECTLY to the OP ?

    It's the OP who wants to know.

    I've made my answer to the OP based on what he asked.
    If you have different opinion, present yours Directly to the OP.
    My post was just addressed openly.

    I was just having a conversation that I thought you might be interested as well.

    Biting my head off is out of order - I will not bother you again.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    15 Jun 2016 #7

    cereberus said: View Post
    My post was just addressed openly.

    I was just having a conversation that I thought you might be interested as well.

    Biting my head off is out of order - I will not bother you again.
    @cereberus, I agree...sometimes I just don't understand some people...makes me think Confucius...
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Factory Resetting Windows 10 in Performance & Maintenance
Alright so i've had this laptop for a few years and have had adjustments to it. I bought it windows 8 and have constantly been updating it - to 8.1 and 10. I feel like I need to just reset it to factory settings. I am wondering if it would reset to...
Solved Help Resetting Windows 10 in Installation and Upgrade
My problem is that I cant set a restore point as Windows says some files are missing. So when I try and reset Windows it says it can't find the reset environment. What are my options?
Resetting Windows 10 log in password in User Accounts and Family Safety
Can someone help? My sister's HDD crashed and she lost everything. No problem as install disks available. Here's the problem. She says she set up log in with microsoft account, but that password does not work. So I think she has local PW. When I...
Solved Cannot boot PC after resetting WIndows 10 in Installation and Upgrade
Hi I upgraded my Windows 7 Home Basic to Windows 10 yesterday. It was successfully activated. I loved the UI and animation. But I could not sign into my Microsoft account, hence could not use Cortana or sign into store. I got "Something went...
Hi there anybody else got this -- trying to personalize PC -got you need to activate windows before you can personalize PC. Now what do I do !!!!!?! Is this normal (I did an UPDATE rather than a new install BTW). Cheers
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:26.
Find Us