Windows 10: Questions about the planned "Redstone" update roll-out Solved

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    05 Jun 2016 #1

    Questions about the planned "Redstone" update roll-out


    I don't know when MS plans out rolling out the Redstone update, but will Redstone be pushed out from the built-in Windows 10 Updates or will I have to re-download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool again in order to have the Redstone update installed?

    Please explain how to update to Redstone when it will be available.
    Will it just be pushed out from the built-in Windows Update section?
    Thanks
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    05 Jun 2016 #2

    It should come thru Windows Update, most parts of it are already in Insiders version and all came thru WU but are full load of over 4 GB. Going by past experiences, it should replace most everything system wise but keep all of your programs (some exceptions may happen) and your data. Some settings you made since, may revert to default so they have to be done again.
    You can also make an ISO of full Rs1 from downloaded files so you can do clean install or repair disk. It will be full W10 with Rs1 included.
    Still, I am going to make full system backup using Macrium Reflect just prior to letting windows install new version, I do that before every full update. Anything bad happens and I'm back in business in 15 minutes.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    05 Jun 2016 #3

    Redstone will come out exactly the same as the November update did (and the actual upgrade to Windows 10 did before that). It will be a complete system upgrade pushed out by Windows Update. You will be able to make an ISO file from the ESD file that Windows Update downloads, and there will be ISO files available for direct download from Microsoft.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 15,002
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 14393, Windows 10 Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Update, Ubuntu
       05 Jun 2016 #4

    As the date for RS gets nearer, if you have show hidden files checked, you might see when Windows Update starts downloading it piece for piece. View Hidden files open your C: drive folder, and eventually before the upgrade, you will see $windows~BT and $windows~WS folders.
    Because of the large size of the download and the millions of Windows 10 users, I suspect/expect Microsoft will push it out piecemeal, "trickle uploading"(like trickle charging) to the users.
      My ComputersSystem Spec

  5.    05 Jun 2016 #5

    Cliff S said: View Post
    As the date for RS gets nearer, if you have show hidden files checked, you might see when Windows Update starts downloading it piece for piece. View Hidden files open your C: drive folder, and eventually before the upgrade, you will see $windows~BT and $windows~WS folders.
    Because of the large size of the download and the millions of Windows 10 users, I suspect/expect Microsoft will push it out piecemeal, "trickle uploading"(like trickle charging) to the users.
    Additionally, they will phase the updates to their ssrvers. The th2 update was mostly rolled out over several months.

    Note : many people disabled stuff with questionable privacy tools and were unable to upgrade as a result without downloading the isos.

    Iso downloading and upgrading has proven to be more reliable than auto upgrading.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    05 Jun 2016 #6

    cereberus said: View Post
    Additionally, they will phase the updates to their ssrvers. The th2 update was mostly rolled out over several months.

    Note : many people disabled stuff with questionable privacy tools and were unable to upgrade as a result without downloading the isos.

    Iso downloading and upgrading has proven to be more reliable than auto upgrading.
    I roll my own ISO anyway, as soon as download is complete and before the upgrade process begins. That plus full system backup with MR, makes everything fool proof.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 1,841
    Windows 3.1 to Windows 10
       05 Jun 2016 #7

    Iso downloading and upgrading has proven to be more reliable than auto upgrading.
    YEAH.....
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    06 Jun 2016 #8

    Hi guys, thanks for the quick responses. But I really need a short yes and no answers here.
    So, my question is, when Redstone is available, will it be included in the Media Creation Tool (see link below)
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10
    If yes, then I will need to create another bootable USB media using that Media Creation Tool if Redstone will be included in that tool.

    My next question is, if I decide to install Redstone from the Windows Updates, will I have issues with my system since my operating system drive is encrypted with BitLocker?
    If yes, then what I will need to do before installing Redstone, is to Suspend BitLocker protection before installing Redstone just in case and re-enable BitLocker once everything is fully updated.

    But do you guys think the easier method is to create another bootable USB from the Media Creation Tool and just re-install Win10 with Redstone?

    I have only my data backed up, so I am good with that.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    06 Jun 2016 #9

    win10freak said: View Post
    Hi guys, thanks for the quick responses. But I really need a short yes and no answers here.
    So, my question is, when Redstone is available, will it be included in the Media Creation Tool (see link below)
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10
    If yes, then I will need to create another bootable USB media using that Media Creation Tool if Redstone will be included in that tool.
    Yes

    win10freak said: View Post
    My next question is, if I decide to install Redstone from the Windows Updates, will I have issues with my system since my operating system drive is encrypted with BitLocker?
    If yes, then what I will need to do before installing Redstone, is to Suspend BitLocker protection before installing Redstone just in case and re-enable BitLocker once everything is fully updated.
    BitLocker should not affect the upgrade to Redstone.

    win10freak said: View Post
    But do you guys think the easier method is to create another bootable USB from the Media Creation Tool and just re-install Win10 with Redstone?

    I have only my data backed up, so I am good with that.
    I think the easiest method is going to be to download a Redstone ISO file and upgrade from the mounted ISO file. I plan on putting the ISO file on my NAS, and then upgrade all 10 of my computers by mounting the ISO file and running setup from it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    06 Jun 2016 #10

    Ok great guys.

    Just to really confirm that once Redstone is out, will it be included in the Win10 Media Creation Tool?

    I can then use that to create a bootable USB with Redstone on it and then just perform another clean install which is not an issue for me anyway because my data is backed up.

    BitLocker should not cause any issues with the Redstone update in case I decide to update from the Windows Updates method?
    Last edited by win10freak; 06 Jun 2016 at 08:47.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Related Threads
Is there any way to delete these system folders. I don't use them, and I never will. If I delete them though, they are simply re-created. Thanks
Hello guys, I don't know what I did, but nothing happens when I click on those two things in the search bar: View image: wtf I reinstalled Windows a few hours ago, and IIRC pressing those with the mouse lead somewhere. Now when I click on...
So I have this weird thing happening in my relatively fresh install of Windows 10. Whenever I search for "Check for Updates" or "Windows Update settings" on the search box of the start menu, I get the results that I want but if I press enter or...
An extremely interesting site I came upon that tracks Redstone builds. Note there hasn't been a public Insider Preview release in two weeks Builds from rs1_release | BuildFeed
The library entries just wont stay the way I leave them. I have just arranged my libraries and deleted the two mentioned folders, then they appeared againd and made a mess of my tasbar... :( This is a serious problem because of how I use the library...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:23.
Find Us