1.    30 May 2016 #1
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 287
    windows 10 pro x64 fall creators update

    how to get windows updates without driver updates?


    Someone who does not have internet connection at home wants to bring me his hard drive from his desktop computer, so I can install a program on it.
    Assuming I can get it to boot on my hardware (I have had pretty good luck with that in the past), I don't want windows to update the drivers, because then he will get drivers for the wrong hardware.
    But it would be nice to get him the other windows updates.
    How to do it?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    30 May 2016 #2
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,942
    W10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by shmu26 View Post
    Someone who does not have internet connection at home wants to bring me his hard drive from his desktop computer, so I can install a program on it.
    Assuming I can get it to boot on my hardware (I have had pretty good luck with that in the past), I don't want windows to update the drivers, because then he will get drivers for the wrong hardware.
    But it would be nice to get him the other windows updates.
    How to do it?
    Really, he needs to bring you the whole box. You will mess up the activation doing it that way.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    30 May 2016 #3
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 287
    windows 10 pro x64 fall creators update
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by simrick View Post
    Really, he needs to bring you the whole box. You will mess up the activation doing it that way.
    good point.
    But when he puts it back in his box, won't Windows find the proper product key again?
    And what if I just forget about the whole idea of updates, and disconnect the internet? Will his windows installation mess up?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    30 May 2016 #4
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,942
    W10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by shmu26 View Post
    good point.
    But when he puts it back in his box, won't Windows find the proper product key again?
    And what if I just forget about the whole idea of updates, and disconnect the internet? Will his windows installation mess up?
    You're asking for activation trouble if you start swapping hard drives. I just went through this with someone else who had 2 identical machines, swapped HDDs and had activation troubles. Don't do it.

    EDIT: And, no, when he put the original HDD back in the original machine, the activation troubles did not go away.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    30 May 2016 #5
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    Posts : 287
    windows 10 pro x64 fall creators update
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by simrick View Post
    You're asking for activation trouble if you start swapping hard drives. I just went through this with someone else who had 2 identical machines, swapped HDDs and had activation troubles. Don't do it.

    EDIT: And, no, when he put the original HDD back in the original machine, the activation troubles did not go away.
    thanks for the heads up. You saved us mucho trouble.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    30 May 2016 #6
    Join Date : Apr 2015
    Posts : 12,942
    W10Prox64

    Quote Originally Posted by shmu26 View Post
    thanks for the heads up. You saved us mucho trouble.
    No problem! Glad I saw your post before you tried it!
    Please go ahead and mark the thread as solved. Cheers!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    30 May 2016 #7
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,551
    Windows 10 Pro

    I also would absolutely recommend he just bring the desktop CPU over. Connect it to your monitor, keyboard, mouse and internet and do it that way.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved How to cancel the Windows Updates in relation to driver updates?
Hi there We got the crashed on machine running on Windows 10 started on last Wednesday and it's been working well for almost 1 month. After troubleshooting and restoring, we came across it's something to do with the Intel Drivers Display update...
Drivers and Hardware
Windows Update Driver Updates
I have disable the in the settings for hardware installations for driver installations as i like to update driver myself such as sound drivers,network and video drivers. Those are basically the 3 drivers that i update including security updates. By...
Drivers and Hardware
Disable Auto Updates Group Policy - Managing Video Driver Updates?
I know Brink and Tairiku (experts I'm sure) have contributed to a solved thread "Turn Off Windows Updates" but here I am with an MBA in Finance and still somewhat confused based on what I'm trying to do. It's all about the Nvidia drivers. I...
Windows Updates and Activation
Stop Driver Updates in Windows 10 Pro?
I am looking for a way to block auto driver update, as a buggy driver could cause boot up problem. Is this possible?
Windows Updates and Activation
Solved Refuse driver updates in Windows 10?
I just installed the leaked Windows 10 build 10051. Before this I had 9926 installed. I have a game called DayZ Standalone, it refused to launch on 9926. A friend said that updating to 10051 allowed him to launch the game. So I did a clean install....
Windows Updates and Activation
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:44.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums