Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1.    25 Mar 2015 #21
    Join Date : Nov 2014
    Warren, MI
    Posts : 248
    W10 Pro/W7 Pro 64-bit

    Quote Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
    Please let members know how you installed Windows 10

    Native, as primary OS

    Dual Boot
    What OS is the primary?
    Running a native VHD boot?

    Virtual machine
    Hyper-V
    VMware player (version#)
    Oracle VMbox (version#
    Host OS ?

    Thanks

    FYI: The TP download page has moved !

    No quotes so unsure who you mean.

    Dual boot on separate hard drives installed from ISO build 9841(IIRC) with W7 as main and default OS.

    May try a repair install of 9926 but from what I've read maybe this build isn't worth the trouble.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    25 Mar 2015 #22
    Join Date : Nov 2014
    Warren, MI
    Posts : 248
    W10 Pro/W7 Pro 64-bit

    Tried the repair from 8826, actually refresh is what it's called. From 9926, it want media which could be caused from earlier BSODs. During which it rebooted several times. Finished but wiped out about twenty apps, no settings retained but kept the Documents folder intact.

    I changed the default OS in msconfig to my W7 OS. Restored an 9926 image but right now dual-boot is hosed as it booted right into W7 right after the restore with no selection option, pressing F12, selecting W10 and it boots into W7! Oh well.....been here before!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    25 Mar 2015 #23
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Penns Forrest
    Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3

    Quote Originally Posted by wptski View Post
    No quotes so unsure who you mean.

    Dual boot on separate hard drives installed from ISO build 9841(IIRC) with W7 as main and default OS.
    Thanks wptski - it was a general call for anyone in this thread to provide more information.

    I'm guessing that the 9841 install has been updated though the preview build update process? Or are you tryin to go directly from 9841 to 10041?

    Give MS the feedback from your update experience - that will help in the long run.

    Then ...
    The best advice I can offer anyone in this thread is to do a clean install to whatever you boot Win10 using the 10041 ISO
    Windows 10 Technical Preview ISO March Update - Microsof Windows


    I've read a lot of members saying that the issues in a particular PB release aren't worth the trouble to install.
    That's the point of a PB release - it's not production code.

    I guess there are two types of Insiders
    1) Test drivers - just taking it for a spin
    and
    2) Techno Geeks - don't mind development code and watching how issues get resolved.
    The only thing that will stop me from installing a PB release is: If the state of the PB release prevents me from installing it..
    This happened with 10.041 through the update channel. It took me many hours to get it installed (I boot to VHD and the install said You can't update a VHD). I tried to do the ESD to ISO thing, but the ESD kept getting removed before I could grab it. Third time's the charm, got the ESD and created the ISO.

    I could have waited a few more days to get the ISO from the Insider Pgm, but ... I'm a Techno Geek

    Best of luck to everyone.

    Bill
    .
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    25 Mar 2015 #24
    Join Date : Nov 2014
    Warren, MI
    Posts : 248
    W10 Pro/W7 Pro 64-bit

    Quote Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
    Thanks wptski - it was a general call for anyone in this thread to provide more information.

    I'm guessing that the 9841 install has been updated though the preview build update process? Or are you tryin to go directly from 9841 to 10041?

    Give MS the feedback from your update experience - that will help in the long run.

    Then ...
    The best advice I can offer anyone in this thread is to do a clean install to whatever you boot Win10 using the 10041 ISO
    Windows 10 Technical Preview ISO March Update - Microsof Windows


    I've read a lot of members saying that the issues in a particular PB release aren't worth the trouble to install.
    That's the point of a PB release - it's not production code.

    I guess there are two types of Insiders
    1) Test drivers - just taking it for a spin
    and
    2) Techno Geeks - don't mind development code and watching how issues get resolved.
    The only thing that will stop me from installing a PB release is: If the state of the PB release prevents me from installing it..
    This happened with 10.041 through the update channel. It took me many hours to get it installed (I boot to VHD and the install said You can't update a VHD). I tried to do the ESD to ISO thing, but the ESD kept getting removed before I could grab it. Third time's the charm, got the ESD and created the ISO.

    I could have waited a few more days to get the ISO from the Insider Pgm, but ... I'm a Techno Geek

    Best of luck to everyone.

    Bill
    .
    Yes, it's been updated from 9841 to the present 9926. I know I can do a clean install but I'm one that doesn't do that for every build. Updating builds is closer to real life use than a clean install. I may do a clean install but right now I don't relish the thought of installing twenty apps. I've never did a clean install on my 4+ year old W7 machine, only one repair install after few months. This refresh/repair is only my second since W95.

    BTW: W10TP build 9926 is booting again, it was just boot delay timer.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    25 Mar 2015 #25
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Penns Forrest
    Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3

    Quote Originally Posted by wptski View Post
    Yes, it's been updated from 9841 to the present 9926. I know I can do a clean install but I'm one that doesn't do that for every build. Updating builds is closer to real life use than a clean install. I may do a clean install but right now I don't relish the thought of installing twenty apps. I've never did a clean install on my 4+ year old W7 machine, only one repair install after few months. This refresh/repair is only my second since W95.

    BTW: W10TP build 9926 is booting again, it was just boot delay timer.
    Thanks for amplifying how you are managing the updates.

    I completely understand - and appreciate your diligence to the 'normal' process.

    I manage my installs by downloading any favorite apps I use on a regular basis (gfx & text editors, A/V player, office suite, and my trusted toolbox utilities). I don't install EVERY application on every build - only the 'essential' apps.

    I do test all apps every few installs, but only to see if they operate - you're right ... that takes too much work to do every time

    It's good to see other members managing the TP in different ways. I learn form the issues that show up on their machines, but not on my machine ... I also learn what might be causing an issue on my machine that way. It's a really great community on the DM forums.

    It sounds as though you are a very good representative of a normal Windows user ... on the other hand, I'm a techno geek and by definition break a lot of things by mucking around in system files. Then I have to figure out how to fix what I broke

    Anywayyyyyy, it's good to hear that your machine is back up and running on 9926.

    Thanks again for the update,

    Bill
    .
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    25 Mar 2015 #26
    Join Date : Nov 2014
    Warren, MI
    Posts : 248
    W10 Pro/W7 Pro 64-bit

    Quote Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
    Thanks for amplifying how you are managing the updates.

    I completely understand - and appreciate your diligence to the 'normal' process.

    I manage my installs by downloading any favorite apps I use on a regular basis (gfx & text editors, A/V player, office suite, and my trusted toolbox utilities). I don't install EVERY application on every build - only the 'essential' apps.

    I do test all apps every few installs, but only to see if they operate - you're right ... that takes too much work to do every time

    It's good to see other members managing the TP in different ways. I learn form the issues that show up on their machines, but not on my machine ... I also learn what might be causing an issue on my machine that way. It's a really great community on the DM forums.

    It sounds as though you are a very good representative of a normal Windows user ... on the other hand, I'm a techno geek and by definition break a lot of things by mucking around in system files. Then I have to figure out how to fix what I broke

    Anywayyyyyy, it's good to hear that your machine is back up and running on 9926.

    Thanks again for the update,

    Bill
    .
    Since I restored, just for kicks, I downloaded 10041 again not expecting it to update. Be darn if it started to install. I wasn't expecting and didn't uninstall my AV which in the past halted the install. It stopped for this, I paused it but maybe should have clicked on Uninstall. Short version, it didn't restart, I restored yet again and am downloading 10041 again. I'll uninstall my AV first this time. Watch it error out like it did a dozen times before!
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    26 Mar 2015 #27
    Join Date : Jul 2014
    Belo Horizonte
    Posts : 713
    Windows 10 Build 14267

    I can't update to preview 10041: Error 0x80246017

    Windows TP 9926 is updated
    I have reverted registry keys back to their original values

    What else can I do?
    Any idea?

      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    26 Mar 2015 #28
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Posts : 224
    Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB
    Thread Starter

    is Build 10041 really so bad? is there a list of bugs i can see?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    26 Mar 2015 #29
    Join Date : Feb 2015
    Posts : 224
    Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB
    Thread Starter

    i still cant for the life of me install this Build 10041 even with there fresh iso from there website! its like microsoft doset want mt to try!

    can someone tell me where the windows 10 setup keeps its fail logs because "something has happened" dosent explain Shit microsoft!

    is this it?

    setupact.log & setuperr.log in

    $windows.~bt\Sources\Panther
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    26 Mar 2015 #30
    Join Date : Oct 2013
    Penns Forrest
    Posts : 3,506
    Win_8.1-Pro, Win_10.1607-Pro, Mint_17.3

    Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir View Post
    I can't update to preview 10041: Error 0x80246017
    Windows TP 9926 is updated
    I have reverted registry keys back to their original values
    What else can I do? Any idea?
    The only thing I can think of is the Windows self host settings in the registry

    Here's a registry merge that will do it for you: winSelfHost.reg

    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost]
    
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost\Applicability]
    "BranchName"="fbl_impressive"
    "ThresholdRiskLevel"="low"
    "ThresholdOptedin"=dword:00000000
    "ThresholdInternal"=-

    Merge the file then try Windows update again.

    Failing an update, try installing fresh from the ISO. You can download Win10.041 here:

    Last edited by Slartybart; 26 Mar 2015 at 22:40.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
UPDATE: Audio issues in Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 10041
Source
Drivers and Hardware
Solved updating from 9926 to 10041 on SLOW, error 0x80070050
Hello, When i try to update from 9926 to 10041, i get the error 0x80070050. It downloads the update, gets stuck on "preparing to install" step and then shows me the error 0x80070050. I searched online, could not find a solution, many of the...
Installation and Upgrade
Trying to update from 10041 to 10049
16114Hello Everyone, i am trying to update to 10049, but i am being told i need 0.00 megs of space to do the updates. I have 14 Gigs of free space . i have rebooted several times, and remove unwanted apps Thanks in advance 161061610716108
Windows Updates and Activation
Solved Update error 0x80240031 Build 10041
I have installed Win 10 on VMware 9.0. The original install was build 9926 64bit. I tried to Auto Update to fbl-impressive 10041 Professional, but kept getting error 0x80240031. So, I downloaded Windows10_TechnicalPreview_x64_EN-US_10041.ISO...
Windows Updates and Activation
Solved I cannot update win 10 tech pr from 9926 to 10041 error 0xc1900200
Iíve installed 9929 version by ISO image... In my pc it runs wonderfully and Iím really happy with it. Yesterday I tried to update it by windows update service to the newer 100041 but I received back this message after the installations stopped at...
Installation and Upgrade
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:48.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums