Windows 10: Install windows on a brand new SSD with product key Solved

  1.    31 Mar 2016 #1

    Install windows on a brand new SSD with product key


    Hi,
    Currently I'm using windows 10 on a HDD on my desktop.
    The desktop used to run windows 8, but I upgraded it. (so the product key is used)

    Using Belarc Advisor, I got my Windows 8 product key.
    I have a brand new SSD here so I want to upgrade to this SSD.

    However, the HDD is bigger than the SSD and I can't shrink the HDD to be smaller than the SSD.
    Hence, I'm looking for a way to download Windows 8 iso file and use that iso file to install Windows 8 on my new SSD.

    Is it possible to download a Windows 8 iso file with a used Windows 8 product key.
    If the answer is yes, how do I do it?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    31 Mar 2016 #2

    Create installation media for Windows 8.1 - Windows Help


    But, do you want Windows 8, or Windows 10? Just install Windows 10 if that is what you want to end up with.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    31 Mar 2016 #3

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    Create installation media for Windows 8.1 - Windows Help


    But, do you want Windows 8, or Windows 10? Just install Windows 10 if that is what you want to end up with.
    I want to get windows 10 in the end, but I only have windows 8 product key.
    How do I get the windows 10?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    31 Mar 2016 #4

    Anonymous123 said: View Post
    I want to get windows 10 in the end, but I only have windows 8 product key.
    How do I get the windows 10?
    Either here:
    Windows 10

    Scroll down to download tool now. Then make installation media for another PC option.

    OR

    Tech Bench

    Since you've had Windows 10 as an upgrade on that computer before, just click "I don't have a product key" or "skip" or "do this later" when asked for a product key. Install the exact same version/edition of Windows 10 you had before and it will activate by retrieving a digital entitlement from Microsoft activation servers via the internet.

    The latest build (10586) of Windows 10 will also accept a Windows 8 product key to activate it, but you shouldn't have to enter one.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    31 Mar 2016 #5

    NavyLCDR said: View Post
    Either here:
    Windows 10

    Scroll down to download tool now. Then make installation media for another PC option.

    OR

    Tech Bench

    Since you've had Windows 10 as an upgrade on that computer before, just click "I don't have a product key" or "skip" or "do this later" when asked for a product key. Install the exact same version/edition of Windows 10 you had before and it will activate by retrieving a digital entitlement from Microsoft activation servers via the internet.
    Alright, thanks!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Solved Brand new clean windows 10 install - BSOD in BSOD Crashes and Debugging
I have run the tool and am attaching the file per the instructions. My computer is brand new and crashed while I was not even at my desk. I had nothing really "active" running. Hoping you guys can help me pinpoint what driver might be causing...
Hi Guys A few questions.... Could someone please clarify, Will windows 10 update provide a product key for clean install? If so how/where? If not when performing a clean install, will skipping the product key prompt, then activating once...
Alright, so I need help with a laptop I bought but first some info. I went to a pawn shop and got a used Windows 10 home laptop. It worked, it was great, I went home to use it. It's 64 bit. However, I decided to factory reset it, just in case. It...
I installed windows 10 on top of Windows 7, but then did a clean install afterwards from an image on a USB drive. I wrote down the product key from the first install after scraping it with a program. The clean install of 10 went fine, but it...
Hi All, Ok to cut a long story short, I was running the Insider Preview Build on a Virtual Machine, I decided to blat my laptop and install the insider preview on it instead day before official release. It built okay, but didnt like my insider...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:24.
Find Us