1.    28 Mar 2016 #1
    Join Date : Mar 2016
    Posts : 3
    Windows 10

    Windows 10 upgrade now won't boot


    I had the Windows 8.1 on my Acer Aspire V5. I upgraded to Windows 10 which seemed to go fine, but then when it went off it will not go back on to the Windows screen. I keep seeing people tell others to go here and there to fix it, but I can't even get there to do that. The Acer screen comes up with the little spinner then it freezes sometimes it goes away to nothing. I can't do a control alt delete or anything so I have to do the hard boot, but no matter what I do it will not boot up!! I can not afford to take it to someone. It went to a blue screen one time and said to hit restart, which I did then back to the infinite reboot. Please help!! Thank you in advance
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    29 Mar 2016 #2
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 11,117
    Win 10 Pro (1703)

    Hi, just a thought- Acer has a list of models compatible with Win 10- which I can't find- is yours on it?

    (Simply because manufacturers don't list drivers for Win 10 doesn't necessarily mean your laptop won't support Win 10 purely on that-- yours has only drivers to Win 8.1 I think).

    Also, the small screen size on those netbooks has been a problem for some.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    29 Mar 2016 #3
    Join Date : Dec 2013
    England
    Posts : 964
    Windows IP 17046

    Quote Originally Posted by redsheila View Post
    I had the Windows 8.1 on my Acer Aspire V5. I upgraded to Windows 10 which seemed to go fine, but then when it went off it will not go back on to the Windows screen. I keep seeing people tell others to go here and there to fix it, but I can't even get there to do that. The Acer screen comes up with the little spinner then it freezes sometimes it goes away to nothing. I can't do a control alt delete or anything so I have to do the hard boot, but no matter what I do it will not boot up!! I can not afford to take it to someone. It went to a blue screen one time and said to hit restart, which I did then back to the infinite reboot. Please help!! Thank you in advance
    Have you tried any of the methods from here: Solved Fix for windows 10 booting to a black screen - Windows 10 Forums
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  4.    29 Mar 2016 #4
    Join Date : Mar 2016
    Posts : 3
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by dalchina View Post
    Hi, just a thought- Acer has a list of models compatible with Win 10- which I can't find- is yours on it?

    (Simply because manufacturers don't list drivers for Win 10 doesn't necessarily mean your laptop won't support Win 10 purely on that-- yours has only drivers to Win 8.1 I think).

    Also, the small screen size on those netbooks has been a problem for some.

    You may be right. It asked me to load the proper drives to run with 10. It worked fine before I installed the requested drives. Someone said go in and take them back out but I can't get in to do that
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    29 Mar 2016 #5
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 11,117
    Win 10 Pro (1703)

    This doesn't look promising, but is only one user's experience with an Aspire V5:
    Solved: Problem Installing Windows 10 on Acer Aspire V5-57... - Acer Community - 392174

    I'd check Acer's forum and see if anyone has been successful.. and see if you can find that list I've seen mentioned on Acer's site.

    Acer Aspire v5-571p Windows 10 - Unsupported but Microsoft Windows 10 - Microsoft Community
    This v5 isn't compatible, the post says... but
    "Why would my model not be supported when almost all of the other Acer Aspire V5 models are supported? Acer says Microsoft made this determination."
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    29 Mar 2016 #6
    Join Date : Mar 2016
    Posts : 3
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by dalchina View Post
    This doesn't look promising, but is only one user's experience with an Aspire V5:
    Solved: Problem Installing Windows 10 on Acer Aspire V5-57... - Acer Community - 392174

    I'd check Acer's forum and see if anyone has been successful.. and see if you can find that list I've seen mentioned on Acer's site.

    Acer Aspire v5-571p Windows 10 - Unsupported but Microsoft Windows 10 - Microsoft Community
    This v5 isn't compatible, the post says... but
    "Why would my model not be supported when almost all of the other Acer Aspire V5 models are supported? Acer says Microsoft made this determination."
    Mine was on the list saying they had the drivers to make it work. Well it didn't. Some have said uninstall that driver and you will be good. I can't get in to even do that. Some have said its the graffics driver that is messed up and to plug into another monitor and use that to uninstall the driver. Well all I have is USB ports, no HTMI and no disk drive. I am on the Acer community trying to get some assistance there too. This is driving me nuts.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    29 Mar 2016 #7
    Join Date : Jan 2015
    UK, Midlands
    Posts : 11,117
    Win 10 Pro (1703)

    Hi, some people do experience graphics driver problems - last year it took a couple of days for my Nvidia driver to download automatically for my old laptop, first upgrade attempt to Windows (well, the second, the first failed completely as there was a conflict with an installed program). Since then, no issues with 2 laptops.

    Really, you may be better staying with Win 8.1 - Win 10 is more likely to result in problematic issues, without offering any significant advantage, unless you have sthg in mind.

    The Aspires, being netbooks, are limited.

    There is an option to roll back to the previous OS within 30 days.
    We always recommend disk imaging to back up your disks/partitions before an attempt to upgrade- and as a matter of routine. I did that with my Aspire (bought for travelling), and of course with this.

    Disk imaging allows you to quite quickly restore an image you have saved (e.g. on an external USB disk) so your PC is back working as it was when you created the image. Saves your OS, your data, your sanity, and is a full backup from which you can extract files too.
    E.g. Macrium Reflect (free).
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
BSOD on boot after upgrade from Windows 7
After upgrading to Windows 10 Pro i get various BSOD on boot. usually i need 2-4 attempts to boot into login mask. very rarely i have a BSOD some seconds after login. power on after sleep or hibernate works well, so this problem occurs after windows...
BSOD Crashes and Debugging
What is my upgrade path from dual boot back to single boot
My laptop has dual boot - Windows 7 and Windows 10. My Win7 environment is my main working environment with lots of programs installed and important files. I installed the Win10 environnment just to play around with 10 during the technical...
Installation and Upgrade
Solved BSOD after upgrade from Windows 7. Cannot Boot.
I cannot start Windows my laptop. I can get into safe mode. I've tried to system restore and clean boot. I have tried verifier which gives the error iastor.sys Attached are the zip files. Please help. Thanks. 36303
BSOD Crashes and Debugging
Windows 10 upgrade went OK and ran well for 10 days, then won't boot
Hi, I have high hopes for joining the forum so I hope someone can help me out with this problem: I upgraded to W10 on the 8th August, it was worth the wait, really enjoy better browsing and was getting used to finding my way around W10. about ten...
General Support
Solved Windows 10 won't boot after using 'Upgrade only' option.
Hey guys, I just wanted to share my solution to a problem I had, just in case somebody else had the same as I couldn't find this solution anywhere. So, the problem was, I downloaded the media creation tool and selected the upgrade only option....
Installation and Upgrade
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:28.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums