Free upgrade to W10 and go back to W7: do I keep the free upgrade?


  1. Posts : 7
    Windows 10 Home 64bit
       #1

    Free upgrade to W10 and go back to W7: do I keep the free upgrade?


    I don't want to update to W10 yet and I have read that I cannot keep my current W7 installation along with a free upgraded a W10 from the same W7 key.
    So, if I do the free upgrade from W7 to W10 and then go back to W7, will I keep the free upgrade on this PC if I install W10 after the summer 2016 deadline? Or going back to W7 will disable the free upgrade to W10?

    Thank you.
      My Computers

  2. Sumit Dhiman's Avatar
    Posts : 361
    Windows 10
       #2

    Technically, your license has been converted to Windows 10 license and thus you can upgrade to Windows 10 for free past the deadline.
    I saw many questions regarding this on Microsoft Answers too but this remains a mystery as of now.
      My Computer

  3. cereberus's Avatar
    Posts : 12,039
    Windows10
       #3

    escaner said:
    I don't want to update to W10 yet and I have read that I cannot keep my current W7 installation along with a free upgraded a W10 from the same W7 key.
    So, if I do the free upgrade from W7 to W10 and then go back to W7, will I keep the free upgrade on this PC if I install W10 after the summer 2016 deadline? Or going back to W7 will disable the free upgrade to W10?

    Thank you.
    Once you upgrade to Windows 10 you can revert to old OS and reinstall at any time in future on same pc/mobo. You can even clean install - no need to reupgrade, or even enter a key.
      My Computer

  4. NavyLCDR's Avatar
    Posts : 15,591
    Windows 10 Pro
       #4

    Sumit Dhiman said:
    Technically, your license has been converted to Windows 10 license and thus you can upgrade to Windows 10 for free past the deadline.
    I saw many questions regarding this on Microsoft Answers too but this remains a mystery as of now.
    When a user upgrades to Windows 10 from Windows 7/8/8.1 a digital entitlement for Windows 10 gets generated and stored on Microsoft activation servers based upon the unique hardware ID calculated by Windows. Nothing happens to the Windows 7/8/8.1 license or product key.

    1. The user can go back to Windows 7/8/8.1 any time they choose to.
    2. Once the digital entitlement is stored on Microsoft Activation servers it can be retrieved at any time by Windows 10 over the internet by means of the unique hardware ID (which is generated 99% from the motherboard serial number/configuration). A product key is not required to retrieve the digital entitlement. Thus the user can go back to Windows 10 at any time they choose to and a Windows 10 product key is not required.
    3. What will happen in July 2016 when the free upgrade offer expires is that Microsoft will stop allowing new digital entitlements to be granted/stored on the Microsoft Activation servers for free - however the existing digital entitlements already saved will be unaffected. Thus the free upgrade expiration will not affect those that upgraded prior to end of July 2016 even if they do a clean install on the same computer - same computer (motherboard) = same hardware ID = matching digital entitlement.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 7
    Windows 10 Home 64bit
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Thank's a lot guys for the help.
      My Computers

  6. meebers's Avatar
    Posts : 1,300
    W10 20H2 .928 & W10 Insider
       #6

    I am guessing that I cannot check Microsoft Activation servers for my entitlement after trying W10 on this W7 machine?
      My Computers

  7. NavyLCDR's Avatar
    Posts : 15,591
    Windows 10 Pro
       #7

    meebers said:
    I am guessing that I cannot check Microsoft Activation servers for my entitlement after trying W10 on this W7 machine?
    Only if you have Windows 10 currently installed.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:47.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums