Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    22 Feb 2016 #1
    Join Date : Feb 2016
    Posts : 5
    Windows 10

    How can I find the version of the OS in the BIOS?


    I know there are some tools out there that will show the key but I really need to know the version of the OS in the UEFI BIOS.
    Thanks.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    22 Feb 2016 #2
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Get Off My Lawn
    Posts : 4,953
    Win10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by buck614 View Post
    I know there are some tools out there that will show the key but I really need to know the version of the OS in the UEFI BIOS.
    Thanks.
    Right click on the start button > click Run > Type winver > press enter.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Run.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	65703

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Run 2.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	65705
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  3.    22 Feb 2016 #3
    Join Date : Feb 2016
    Posts : 5
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Unfortunately, that is only going to tell you the version of the windows that is installed on the computer. I need to know the version of the Windows in the UEFI BIOS. They may or may not be the same. I can pull the key relatively easily with 'Read Write Everything', but it doesn't tell me the version of the OS in the BIOS ... just the key itself.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    22 Feb 2016 #4
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Get Off My Lawn
    Posts : 4,953
    Win10 Pro

    Use the free version of Speccy.

    Speccy - System Information - Free Download
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  5.    22 Feb 2016 #5
    Join Date : Feb 2016
    Posts : 5
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Sorry but that doesn't show the OS in the BIOS. Thanks for your help though.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    22 Feb 2016 #6
    Join Date : Jan 2014
    Get Off My Lawn
    Posts : 4,953
    Win10 Pro
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  7.    22 Feb 2016 #7
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Maine
    Posts : 39,835
    Windows10Pro 64Bit

    Quote Originally Posted by buck614 View Post
    Sorry but that doesn't show the OS in the BIOS. Thanks for your help though.
    Since when does viewing your Bios show what OS you have?? It does not. You CAN view your Bios Version, and manufacture, UEFI firmware version, but that's it. This link also works for Windows 10
    http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...d-windows.html
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  8.    22 Feb 2016 #8
    Join Date : Feb 2016
    Posts : 5
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    UEFI based BIOS's can have windows pre-authorized. This alleviates the need to have a sticker with a key on every laptop purchased. It is a relatively new feature ... last few years or so. You can use tools to actually look in the BIOS and locate this key.

    So for instance you may have bought a laptop 2 years ago and if it had a UEFI BIOS it would have been pre-authorized for Windows 8 or Windows 8.1. Even now if you go ahead and format the hard drive and install Windows 10, the BIOS will always be pre-authorized for Windows 8 or 8.1 depending on when you bought it.

    It was mainly to get around having to put stickers on everything. However we deal with thousands of laptops and it is important to know what version of windows came with the laptop so we can properly upgrade and activate them to Windows 10 for free before the deadline hits in June.

    We have so many it can be difficult to know which ones are pre-authorized for Windows 8, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10. We have 100's of Lenovo X250's for instance that were purchased over the last few years. Some need to be activated before the deadline while some already are pre-authorized for Windows 10.

    The only tools I can find will allow you to look at the key but we still don't know if that key is for Windows 8, 8.1, or 10.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    22 Feb 2016 #9
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Maine
    Posts : 39,835
    Windows10Pro 64Bit

    Quote Originally Posted by buck614 View Post
    UEFI based BIOS's can have windows pre-authorized. This alleviates the need to have a sticker with a key on every laptop purchased. It is a relatively new feature ... last few years or so. You can use tools to actually look in the BIOS and locate this key.

    So for instance you may have bought a laptop 2 years ago and if it had a UEFI BIOS it would have been pre-authorized for Windows 8 or Windows 8.1. Even now if you go ahead and format the hard drive and install Windows 10, the BIOS will always be pre-authorized for Windows 8 or 8.1 depending on when you bought it.

    It was mainly to get around having to put stickers on everything. However we deal with thousands of laptops and it is important to know what version of windows came with the laptop so we can properly upgrade and activate them to Windows 10 for free before the deadline hits in June.

    We have so many it can be difficult to know which ones are pre-authorized for Windows 8, Windows 8.1, or Windows 10. We have 100's of Lenovo X250's for instance that were purchased over the last few years. Some need to be activated before the deadline while some already are pre-authorized for Windows 10.

    The only tools I can find will allow you to look at the key but we still don't know if that key is for Windows 8, 8.1, or 10.
    Ok now that you actually explained what you need, then I can help. Their is a program that DOES show the key AND for which version its for. Works from Windows 7 to 10. It made by one of our members here. It reads the information in the Bios/UEFI
    Here is the link. https://www.tenforums.com/software-ap...7-showkey.html
      My ComputersSystem Spec
  10.    22 Feb 2016 #10
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Penn's Woods
    Posts : 1,265
    Windows 10 Home

    Daaaang, OldMike, ya beat me to that one! I had JUST copied the link and hit reply and THERE YOU ARE.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Backup (Win7 version) says can't find windows.old
I'm using the Win7 Backup and Restore on my Win 10 system. Sometime after he big update happened I decided to get rid of the C:\Windows.old\ folder and used Disk Cleanup to do it. It said it did but some parts of the folder remained. IIRC I...
Backup and Restore
Can't find where to enable VT-x in BIOS
When I try to download Android Studios this pops up:57093 So when I went to the BIOS to enable it, there was no setting there for it. I am running Windows 10 on my Acer Aspire 5755G - 6823 with an Intel i5 - 2430M @2.4GHz. I even downloaded the...
Virtualization
General Tips Find Windows 10 Version Number
This tutorial will show you how to find and see what the version number of the installed Windows 10 is on your PC. Windows 10 version history and Windows 10 release information Version Build Description
Tutorials
Solved My Insider Preview version blocked at version th1 10240 professional
Hi I joined the Insider Preview Program 4 months ago. I regularly updated all builds but since about 3 weeks, I do not receive any updates. I know that the last build is 10532 but I do not receive those updates. I contacted Microsoft this morning...
Windows Insider
what would be the Major version, Minor version, Architecture values
I downloaded win10 preview and installed on a virtualbox VM running on a Win7 system. And when i check the Registry entry of Win10 , i see 6.3 as version, but in the screen shot that you provided here it shows 6.4. Which one is correct? and what...
Drivers and Hardware
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums