1.    28 Jan 2016 #1
    Join Date : Jan 2016
    Posts : 2
    10 Pro 64

    Windows 10 Pro and 1511 update


    All the articles on this update fail to specify Home or Pro!
    I have Pro, and have not received the update. It would stand to reason that the number 1511 would be reserved for one or the other version...but I note that some of the functionality that is supposed to be in this update is not available to me on my machine.
    I contacted MS Support and they advised me that the update is for Home rather than Pro users, and that Pro machines are on a different cycle and already have the functionality of the update. I tested this, however, with the Settings|Start Menu item that in the update should allow an extra column of tiles i.e. "show more tiles"; that option does not appear on my build.
    I have no idea what this is about, and again note that the articles touting this update do not specify home or pro...I'd like the functionality (but not enough to PAY to revert to a different, supposedly less-functional version of the OS, to do so).
    Thoughts?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    28 Jan 2016 #2
    Join Date : Jan 2016
    Henderson
    Posts : 147
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by ljaygould View Post
    All the articles on this update fail to specify Home or Pro!
    I have Pro, and have not received the update. It would stand to reason that the number 1511 would be reserved for one or the other version...but I note that some of the functionality that is supposed to be in this update is not available to me on my machine.
    I contacted MS Support and they advised me that the update is for Home rather than Pro users, and that Pro machines are on a different cycle and already have the functionality of the update. I tested this, however, with the Settings|Start Menu item that in the update should allow an extra column of tiles i.e. "show more tiles"; that option does not appear on my build.
    I have no idea what this is about, and again note that the articles touting this update do not specify home or pro...I'd like the functionality (but not enough to PAY to revert to a different, supposedly less-functional version of the OS, to do so).
    Thoughts?

    Hi, exactly what build and version do you see?
    There are easy ways to get current without waiting for the upgrade notice from Msft
    Home or Pro has nothing to do with it
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    28 Jan 2016 #3
    Join Date : Jan 2016
    Henderson
    Posts : 147
    Windows 10 Pro

    Read this page and run the update trouble shooter

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...troubleshooter
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    28 Jan 2016 #4
    Join Date : Jun 2015
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts : 2,347
    MS Windows 10 Pro - Perm Activation of 10585

    Quote Originally Posted by AnEdge View Post
    Read this page and run the update trouble shooter

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...troubleshooter

    My 10 Pro and 1511 seems to be working just fine.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    28 Jan 2016 #5
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 4,814
    windows 10 Home threshold2

    Ljaygould,

    The 1511 update is not just for Home version. It is for both.
    Why you don't get it is another matter.

    I do not want to offend anyone. However, don't bet your mortgage on the words of "Microsoft Support".
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    28 Jan 2016 #6
    Join Date : Jan 2016
    Posts : 2
    10 Pro 64
    Thread Starter

    I ran the troubleshooter; it did not detect a problem.
    My build is 10240.
    Everything swears I'm up to date. I'm NOT running 1511 obviously.
    I KNEW the MS rep was BS. I just joined this forum to confirm, also to get some ideas how to get up to date when I'm not. Or find out what shortcoming in my system makes the upgrade engine decide that I wouldn't work well with that update...I have relatively new MB, 16GB DDR3 memory, i7-4770 processor. I'm a Windows user since ver. 2.2 (Aldus PageMaker and run-time then full Windows from DOS). I've been in tech support, and am now a video editor. Most things like this do NOT stump me!
    For all who responded so quickly (and those who now likely will respond to help), many thanks.
    Jay
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    28 Jan 2016 #7
    Join Date : Nov 2015
    Posts : 4,814
    windows 10 Home threshold2

    I am not sure why you are still on 10240. You are quite a bit behind.

    Use one of the 2 links below to download the current windows 10 iso file.

    Media Creation Tool (MCT)
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

    Tech Bench
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/techbench


    Using MCT as example................
    Download the Tool and run it.
    Then select
    Create installation media for another PC
    That will begin downloading the ISO file to your computer.
    When download is completed, RIGHT click at the ISO > click Mount > click Setup.exe.
    That will begin installing Windows 10.
    You have the choice of keeping settings, files and apps, or keeping nothing.
    No product key is required.
    Activation will be automatic.

    If installation is successful, you will be updated to version 10586. Then be patient and let Windows Update bring you up-to-date to version 10586.71through cumulative update.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    29 Jan 2016 #8
    Join Date : Jan 2016
    Henderson
    Posts : 147
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by ljaygould View Post
    I ran the troubleshooter; it did not detect a problem.
    My build is 10240.
    Everything swears I'm up to date. I'm NOT running 1511 obviously.
    I KNEW the MS rep was BS. I just joined this forum to confirm, also to get some ideas how to get up to date when I'm not. Or find out what shortcoming in my system makes the upgrade engine decide that I wouldn't work well with that update...I have relatively new MB, 16GB DDR3 memory, i7-4770 processor. I'm a Windows user since ver. 2.2 (Aldus PageMaker and run-time then full Windows from DOS). I've been in tech support, and am now a video editor. Most things like this do NOT stump me!
    For all who responded so quickly (and those who now likely will respond to help), many thanks.
    Jay

    Let us know how it goes Jay.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Solved Need a bit of clarification on windows 10 (1511 Update)
Hi...:( I have three PC's all running windows 10/64 bit... Two of them were running (Build 10525) this PC's auto downloaded the windows 10 update a while back and are curentley running (Version 1511 OS Build 10586.36)... The one I am...
General Support
Can't update to windows 10 Pro, version 1511
I installed Windows 10 around the time it came out, much to my delight I faced no problems with it, but now after reading about this 'November Update' that touts many of the features I wanted back. I read on Microsoft's own site that to get the...
Windows Updates and Activation
Windows 10 Nov update to 1511
How can I stop windows update to version 1511 installing in Windows 10 Home? :o
Windows Updates and Activation
Problem after update to Windows 1511
After the update, Occasionally the window button that gets me to All Apps, Power, Settings and File explorer does not work. Neither does clicking on the Action Center Icon in the SYS Tray. To correct the problem I have to reboot. Any ideas on what's...
General Support
Solved Windows 10 professional 1511 update iso not available
Has anyone successfully clean installed the 1511 update of Windows 10 Professional? I see only Windows 10 (N, K etc) with the Media Creation Tool (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10) and at the Techbench. I also saw...
Installation and Upgrade
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:15.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums