Infos on how to install an update patch manually (.cab file)


  1. Posts : 4
    Mac OS, Win 10, Android
       #1

    Infos on how to install an update patch manually (.cab file)


    Hello everybody,

    I need help on how to install manually a patch which seems to be quite essential to upgrade my
    16gb tablet to the 1511 build of windows 10:

    the patch is KB3124260 and I downloaded manually the .cab file from the official support site, but I have
    no experience about this, and no clue on how to install it. Is there any tool or script available?

    thank you very much in advance! :)
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 5,478
    2004
       #2

    You can install a .cab file using DISM like this from an elevated command prompt (you'll need to update the path in red..)
    Code:
    DISM.exe /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:c:\temp\<whatever path>\KB3124260-x64.cab
    It should however install automatically anyway (according to the release notes) so do check windows update first.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 13,685
    Windows10
       #3

    Reverend Emi said:
    Hello everybody,

    I need help on how to install manually a patch which seems to be quite essential to upgrade my
    16gb tablet to the 1511 build of windows 10:

    the patch is KB3124260 and I downloaded manually the .cab file from the official support site, but I have
    no experience about this, and no clue on how to install it. Is there any tool or script available?

    thank you very much in advance! :)
    Nice one.

    This has been a major pain for people upgrading to 10586 on 16GB and even 32GB tablets.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 4
    Mac OS, Win 10, Android
    Thread Starter
       #4

    lx07 said:
    You can install a .cab file using DISM like this from an elevated command prompt (you'll need to update the path in red..)
    Code:
    DISM.exe /Online /Add-Package /PackagePath:c:\temp\<whatever path>\KB3124260-x64.cab
    It should however install automatically anyway (according to the release notes) so do check windows update first.
    Thanks very much for the tip, I'll try later. :) If by "automatically", you mean that it should have already arrived through windows update, I checked the list - my tablet is brand new - and there is no trace of this patch in the few updates downloaded so far... I can't really say whether it is already installed or not!
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 5,478
    2004
       #5

    If it isn't in the Windows update list I'd install it. It looks like it is pretty much essential for small tablets as you said and it doesn't have any prerequisites.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 4
    Mac OS, Win 10, Android
    Thread Starter
       #6

    lx07 said:
    If it isn't in the Windows update list I'd install it. It looks like it is pretty much essential for small tablets as you said and it doesn't have any prerequisites.
    Ok, I just tried. Entered the code with the appropriate path, but all I see is a very very brief DOS-like screen window, simply too fast to read anything. How can I check if the update has been installed or not? The list in windows update doesn't show it.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 5,478
    2004
       #7

    You need to open and elevated command prompt window (Elevated Command Prompt - Open in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums) then type/copy in the command. The Window will stay open after (and say if it worked or not and why).

    You should see it in Control Panel > Programs and Features > View Installed Updates

    (perhaps it isn't shown in the new windows update app screen).
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 4
    Mac OS, Win 10, Android
    Thread Starter
       #8

    Ok, solved the elevated command thing. Thanks! But unfortunately, it says me there's been an error while trying to open the package: precisely, error 0x80070003.
    As downloaded from the official website, the update comes in a folder with a .cab file. Should I do anything with it before?
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:30.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums