Windows 10: Windows 10 Activation Help

  1.    16 Jan 2016 #1

    Windows 10 Activation Help


    Hi Everybody,

    I updated to Windows 10 last week from what I thought was an activated version of windows 8.1, but now I'm stuck with an "Activate Windows" watermark in the bottom right of my screen (which goes over everything, not just the desktop) and I was wondering if in order to activate windows I could just buy a new product key, or would I need to re-install windows with the new product key. If anyone could give me any other idea of how to resolve my problem I would be truly grateful.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    16 Jan 2016 #2

    First thing to try is to activate it using your windows 8.1 key (change product key) from activation menu.

    Use showkeyplus to extract 8.1 key if you do not know it.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    16 Jan 2016 #3

    Windows 10 is supposed to activate if it's installed as an upgrade over an activated version of a qualifying OS (7 or 8). I believe that it does not activate as a clean install.

    Build 10586 (aka 1511) is supposed to be able to activate using a key from a previously activated qualifying OS. If you have one, give it a try.

    (I'm not sure how you'd use a key finder on a Windows 10 installation.)
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    16 Jan 2016 #4

    bobkn said: View Post
    Windows 10 is supposed to activate if it's installed as an upgrade over an activated version of a qualifying OS (7 or 8). I believe that it does not activate as a clean install.

    Build 10586 (aka 1511) is supposed to be able to activate using a key from a previously activated qualifying OS. If you have one, give it a try.

    (I'm not sure how you'd use a key finder on a Windows 10 installation.)
    OP has windows 8.1 which if oem is embedded in bios. If retail 8 or self installed oem, and an upgrade to 10 (not a clean install), 8.1 key will be still in registry, and showkeyplus will extract it.

    The one exception is if you ugraded from preinstalled windows 7, as thenyiu will need the coa (override) key. Keyfinders will not work, and will return a generic key of no use.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 4,765
    windows 10 Home threshold2
       16 Jan 2016 #5

    LKD532 said: View Post
    Hi Everybody,

    I updated to Windows 10 last week from what I thought was an activated version of windows 8.1, but now I'm stuck with an "Activate Windows" watermark in the bottom right of my screen (which goes over everything, not just the desktop) and I was wondering if in order to activate windows I could just buy a new product key, or would I need to re-install windows with the new product key. If anyone could give me any other idea of how to resolve my problem I would be truly grateful.
    I have questions which I need your answers before I know which is the proper way to help you, or whether I have an answer for you at all :

    1. What method did you use to upgrade to Windows 10 ?
    By way of Windows Update or by way of using an ISO file.
    2. What version is your Win 8.1 ? Win 8.1 Pro or just Win 8.1 ?
    3. The Windows 10 you ended up with, is it the same version as your Win 8.1 ?
    By that, I mean if you have Win 8.1, you should get Win 10 Home.
    If you have Win 8.1 Pro, you should have Win 10 Pro.
    If you have Win 8.1 and ended up with Win 10 Pro, then you will see that activation warning.
    4. What do you mean " I thought was an activated version of windows 8.1" ?
    Was your Win 8.1 activated or not before you upgraded to Win 10.?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    17 Jan 2016 #6

    cereberus said: View Post
    OP has windows 8.1 which if oem is embedded in bios. If retail 8 or self installed oem, and an upgrade to 10 (not a clean install), 8.1 key will be still in registry, and showkeyplus will extract it.

    The one exception is if you ugraded from preinstalled windows 7, as thenyiu will need the coa (override) key. Keyfinders will not work, and will return a generic key of no use.
    Yup.
    IIRC, when one clean installs without wiping the partition holding the existing Windows installation, a Windows.old folder is created from which one can get the old key as well... just something I think I noticed before.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    17 Jan 2016 #7

    Superfly said: View Post
    Yup.
    IIRC, when one clean installs without wiping the partition holding the existing Windows installation, a Windows.old folder is created from which one can get the old key as well... just something I think I noticed before.
    For clarity, you do not mean a clean install but an upgrade not keeping personal files. A clean install (booting from usb stick or dvd) totally wipes old OS.

    Also if you upgrade, even if you delete windows.old, the old key is still retained in windows 10 registry but most product finders are not clever enough to extract it. Showkeyplus is.

    Note: not certain if this works though if you upgrade NOT keeping files.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    17 Jan 2016 #8

    cereberus said: View Post
    For clarity, you do not mean a clean install but an upgrade not keeping personal files. A clean install (booting from usb stick or dvd) totally wipes old OS..
    Not necessarily. I did a clean install of 1511 32 bit yesterday on a disk that had 11099 64 bit already installed. After booting from ISO I didn't delete the partitions, ran through OOBE to set up my user and ended up with Windows.old and Program Files (x86) left behind from the previous 64 bit install.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    17 Jan 2016 #9

    lx07 said: View Post
    Not necessarily. I did a clean install of 1511 32 bit yesterday on a disk that had 11099 64 bit already installed. After booting from ISO I didn't delete the partitions, ran through OOBE to set up my user and ended up with Windows.old and Program Files (x86) left behind from the previous 64 bit install.
    Yup... just tested it in VM

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot from 2016-01-17 12:42:26.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	59275
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  10.    17 Jan 2016 #10

    lx07 said: View Post
    Not necessarily. I did a clean install of 1511 32 bit yesterday on a disk that had 11099 64 bit already installed. After booting from ISO I didn't delete the partitions, ran through OOBE to set up my user and ended up with Windows.old and Program Files (x86) left behind from the previous 64 bit install.
    That probably helps to explains something odd that happened to me when I installed a VM a few days ago to get Insider versions.

    It installed fine but never asked me for any account info - it just set my account to exactly the same as in actual OS (local account with no password).

    I can kind of understand that behaviour if dual booting but in a VM which is supposed be insulated from main OS?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Windows 10 Activation in Windows Updates and Activation
Hi All Just recently I replaced the motherboard on my HP Probook 6555b laptop and had a concern that Windows would not activate and to my surprise it did without me having to enter any license key. Reading various articles about Win 10...
Solved windows activation in Windows Updates and Activation
I upgraded to win 10 from 8.1 all ok has issues with flash player so I decided to do a fresh install my problem is that win 10 is not activated I put in my code it dosent work any ideas guys
Windows 10 Pro Activation in Windows Updates and Activation
Wasn't Windows 10 supposed to be free or something? I did a clean install of the Pro version and now it is asking me to activate. When I click Activation under Settings, I get Error code: 0xC004C003, now its asking me to change the product key. ...
Hi there anybody else got this -- trying to personalize PC -got you need to activate windows before you can personalize PC. Now what do I do !!!!!?! Is this normal (I did an UPDATE rather than a new install BTW). Cheers
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:41.
Find Us