Windows 10 Home Upgrade Problems


  1. Posts : 3
    Windows 10 Home
       #1

    Windows 10 Home Upgrade Problems


    Lately, Windows 10 has been annoying me to no end. Google Chrome takes forever to run processes, tasks are stuck loading, etc.

    I recently got a new laptop which came pre-installed with Windows 10. However, as I go under Settings and then About, there's only a line that says "Edition" with "Windows 10 Home" next to it. There's no line that says "Version" or "OS Build." If it helps any, I ordered this laptop in November, so HP may not have put in the November update into the laptop.

    My guess is that all of these problems are happening due to Windows 10 not being upgraded. BUT I have tried to go into Windows Update, but it takes FOREVER to load, and just won't show any updates. I've also tried the Windows 10 Setup program, but that's stuck on "getting a few things ready."

    My question is, how can I upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Version 1511, preferably without losing many files?

    Also, it has NOT been 31 days since I've received this new laptop, so should I just wait for Windows to notify me to upgrade? Will it even notify me?

    Thanks!
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 5,442
    windows 10 Pro ver 21H2 build 19044.1348
       #2

    What or how did you get ..... Settings , About ?

    Type winver into the search bar next to the Start button > press Enter.
    That will tell you what you have.

    Windows 10 Home Upgrade Problems-winver-10586.36.jpg
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 3
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter
       #3

    davidhk said:
    What or how did you get ..... Settings , About ?

    Type winver into the search bar next to the Start button > press Enter.
    That will tell you what you have.

    Windows 10 Home Upgrade Problems-winver-10586.36.jpg

    I did as so, and I have Version 10.0 with Build 10240, but not Version 1511.

    My main question is, will Windows notify me to upgrade to Version 1511 after 31 days have passed? If not, are there any ways I can do it on my own?
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 5,442
    windows 10 Pro ver 21H2 build 19044.1348
       #4

    Yes, you can wait for Windows Update to upgrade you from 10240 to 10586.

    If you don't want to wait, you can install now by downloading the ISO file.

    Use one of the 2 links below:
    Media Creation Tool ( MCT ) :
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/techbench

    Tech Bench
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/techbench

    Using MCT as example................
    Download the Tool and run it.
    Then select
    Create installation media for another PC
    That will begin downloading the ISO file to your computer.
    When download is completed, RIGHT click at the ISO > click Mount > click Setup.exe.
    That will begin installing Windows 10.
    You have the choice of keeping settings, files and apps, or keeping nothing.
    No product key is required.
    Activation will be automatic.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 3
    Windows 10 Home
    Thread Starter
       #5

    davidhk said:
    Yes, you can wait for Windows Update to upgrade you from 10240 to 10586.

    If you don't want to wait, you can install now by downloading the ISO file.

    Use one of the 2 links below:
    Media Creation Tool ( MCT ) :
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/techbench

    Tech Bench
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/techbench

    Using MCT as example................
    Download the Tool and run it.
    Then select
    Create installation media for another PC
    That will begin downloading the ISO file to your computer.
    When download is completed, RIGHT click at the ISO > click Mount > click Setup.exe.
    That will begin installing Windows 10.
    You have the choice of keeping settings, files and apps, or keeping nothing.
    No product key is required.
    Activation will be automatic.
    I tried the MCT approach, and began downloading the ISO file, but it's stuck on "Getting a few things ready," which seems to be loading forever. Would the Tech Bench process surpass this issue, or is there another way?

    Thanks!
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 5,442
    windows 10 Pro ver 21H2 build 19044.1348
       #6

    kurokette said:
    I tried the MCT approach, and began downloading the ISO file, but it's stuck on "Getting a few things ready," which seems to be loading forever. Would the Tech Bench process surpass this issue, or is there another way?

    Thanks!
    Tech Bench will not make the difference.
    No, I don't know of another way.
    My only suggestion is ........ wait and let the installation work on its own way.
    Sorry, that's all I can offer.
    Last edited by davidhk; 12 Jan 2016 at 06:24.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:56.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums