Windows 10 activation workaround?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 22,741
    Windows 10 Home x64
       #11

    Word Man said:
    +1 on that, gazurtoids. I must admit, just the title of your thread is a bit alarming from an ethical viewpoint (I'm not assuming other than good intention on your part). Contacting MS in good faith and assuming good faith on their part would always be the right choice.

    I will only add that you may consider the option of making more than one call to MS at different times and see that you get a consistent answer from different reps, possibly depending on which side of the bed a given rep got up from on that morning.
    My concern is where did these places get the keys/licenses from in the first place. It's not like with 7 or 8 were old copies can be sold. 10 is still in the free period and I don't know just how many are selling keys at this point.

    My take is it's too good to be true.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 1,567
    Windows 10 Pro
       #12

    BunnyJ said:
    My concern is where did these places get the keys/licenses from in the first place. It's not like with 7 or 8 were old copies can be sold. 10 is still in the free period and I don't know just how many are selling keys at this point.

    My take is it's too good to be true.
    I share that skepticism. Hoping OP can get favorable resolution direct from MS.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 6
    Win 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #13

    Well I guess I mark this down as solved.....I simply added my Win 7 key and activated windows, something I hadn't tried as various opinions on google said this doesn't work, guess they were wrong
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 45
    Windows 10 Pro / Windows Server 2012 (VM)
       #14

    UTILITIES THAT EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE: Before your machine goes south you should back up your Product Keys. Windows 8 foreword the "Keys" are embedded in the BIOS. Microsoft does not put Product Keys on a COA anymore. It's your job to back up the Product keys for the ones that you have purchased. (Microsoft does not care if you loose them - means you have to buy another) Software that can be used to get Product Keys off your machine before it goes south. Some are free downloads others are not. Some are OS specific as well as x32 & x64 - Be Aware - Belarc Advisor, Keyfinder, License Crawler, Neo Smart OEM, ProductKey, RW Everything. All of these can be found on the internet. I found that using more than one will confirm key. some will work but give wrong Product Key. Mainly because they are OS Specific and x32 & x64 specific ** Please back up your Keys -- Saves on a big headache. Michael
    PS> Windows 7, 8, & 8.1 Product Keys Will Activate Windows 10
    Last edited by Dadicator; 10 Jan 2016 at 16:53.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 1,567
    Windows 10 Pro
       #15

    gazurtoids said:
    Well I guess I mark this down as solved.....I simply added my Win 7 key and activated windows, something I hadn't tried as various opinions on google said this doesn't work, guess they were wrong
    Or simply out of date. What you did is newly available with the most recent build, 10586.

    Dadicator said:
    UTILITIES THAT EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE: Before your machine goes south your should back up your Product Keys. Windows 8 foreword the "Keys" are embedded in the BIOS. Microsoft does not put Product Keys on a COA anymore. It's your job to back up the Product keys for the ones that you have purchased. (Microsoft does not care if you loose them - means you have to buy another) Software that can be used to get Product Keys off your machine before it goes south. Some are free downloads others are not. Some are OS specific as well as x32 & x64 - Be Aware - Belarc Advisor, Keyfinder, License Crawler, Neo Smart OEM, ProductKey, RW Everything. All of these can be found on the internet. I found that using more than one will confirm key. some will work but give wrong Product Key. Mainly because they are OS Specific and x32 & x64 specific ** Please back up your Keys -- Saves on a big headache. Michael
    PS> Windows 7, 8, & 8.1 Product Keys Will Activate Windows 10
    Not least of all would be checking member Superfly's alternative: https://www.tenforums.com/software-ap...7-showkey.html
    Last edited by Word Man; 09 Jan 2016 at 19:04. Reason: Build number typo
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 13,555
    Windows10
       #16

    gazurtoids said:
    Well I guess I mark this down as solved.....I simply added my Win 7 key and activated windows, something I hadn't tried as various opinions on google said this doesn't work, guess they were wrong
    Herein lies in one of life's mysteries. It should not have accepted an oem key on a new pc, and many have tried. I guess you got lucky, but one should not think this is always going to work.

    I suspect the reason is down to poor windows 7 key control.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 6
    Win 10 Pro
    Thread Starter
       #17

    cereberus said:
    Herein lies in one of life's mysteries. It should not have accepted an oem key on a new pc, and many have tried. I guess you got lucky, but one should not think this is always going to work.

    I suspect the reason is down to poor windows 7 key control.

    See here ... Activation in Windows 10 - Windows Help


    so the November update allows it
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 13,555
    Windows10
       #18

    gazurtoids said:
    See here ... Activation in Windows 10 - Windows Help


    so the November update allows it
    That is irrelevant. You were lucky to be able to use an oem key on a new mobo.

    This contravenes EULA. The fact it worked does not make it legal, but hey you got lucky.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 45
    Windows 10 Pro / Windows Server 2012 (VM)
       #19

    Microsoft as posted by Gazurtoids is the one who said any Legit Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10 will activate Windows Ten
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 17,246
    Windows 11 Pro
       #20

    Dadicator said:
    Microsoft as posted by Gazurtoids is the one who said any Legit Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10 will activate Windows Ten
    However, using an OEM product key on any computer (motherboard) other than the one it was originally installed on is not legitimate, it violates the EULA - it's just a matter of Microsoft trusting users to comply with the EULA and not to do it rather than physically blocking it.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:43.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums