Windows 10: Activate Windows 10 Pro from Windows 7 Pro key


  1. Posts : 6
    Win10 Home 64bit
       12 Dec 2015 #1

    Activate Windows 10 Pro from Windows 7 Pro key


    Hi guys

    Quick question which I have tried googling and found no definitive answer to. I have Windows 10 Home and want to upgrade to Pro. I also have an unactivated Windows 7 Pro key from an old laptop. Does anyone know whether I can use the Windows 7 Pro key to activate Windows 10 Pro?

    Many thanks

    Bill
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    12 Dec 2015 #2

    Bill4321 said: View Post
    Hi guys

    Quick question which I have tried googling and found no definitive answer to. I have Windows 10 Home and want to upgrade to Pro. I also have an unactivated Windows 7 Pro key from an old laptop. Does anyone know whether I can use the Windows 7 Pro key to activate Windows 10 Pro?

    Many thanks

    Bill
    Your Win7 Pro key is good for an upgrade via the default/generic Win10 Pro key - and assuming you are running 1511 version, activation - also again assuming it's not an OEM (excluding system builder) key and activaion count has not been exceeded (may need to talk to MS bot.)
    .. or else the genuineticket route for 10240.
    @NavyLCDR, If not already done, perhaps write a "can I?.... should I?.....Yes/No... unless this or that" post regarding activation as a reference point.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 6
    Win10 Home 64bit
    Thread Starter
       12 Dec 2015 #3

    Superfly said: View Post
    Your Win7 Pro key is good for an upgrade via the default/generic Win10 Pro key - and assuming you are running 1511 version, activation - also again assuming it's not an OEM (excluding system builder) key and activaion count has not been exceeded (may need to talk to MS bot.)
    .. or else the genuineticket route for 10240.
    @NavyLCDR, If not already done, perhaps write a "can I?.... should I?.....Yes/No... unless this or that" post regarding activation as a reference point.
    Hi Superfly

    I'm running 1511 and it's a non OEM virgin key so will try it and let you know how it goes.

    Cheers

    Bill
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  4.    12 Dec 2015 #4

    Bill4321 said: View Post
    Hi Superfly

    I'm running 1511 and it's a non OEM virgin key so will try it and let you know how it goes.

    Cheers

    Bill
    OK, then you are good to go - good luck.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 6
    Win10 Home 64bit
    Thread Starter
       12 Dec 2015 #5

    Superfly said: View Post
    OK, then you are good to go - good luck.
    I think that your advice was good, trouble is my license key wasn't.. much to my annoyance it turned out to be an OEM key which put paid to my cunning plan.

    Thanks very much for your help though, it was much appreciated.

    All the best

    Bill
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    12 Dec 2015 #6

    Bill4321 said: View Post
    I think that your advice was good, trouble is my license key wasn't.. much to my annoyance it turned out to be an OEM key which put paid to my cunning plan.

    Thanks very much for your help though, it was much appreciated.

    All the best

    Bill
    No prob...
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Installation & Upgrade Activate Windows 10 in Tutorials
How to Activate Windows 10 Activation helps verify that your copy of Windows is genuine and hasnít been used on more devices than the Microsoft Software License Terms allow. How you activate Windows 10 after reinstalling it depends on how...
Solved Windows 10 Pro Won't Activate in Windows Updates and Activation
Hi Everyone, I'm new to this site and this is my first post. It looks like a great site. My PC was running Windows 7 Ultimate and I wanted to upgrade to Windows 10. Unfortunately, my PC was in a perpetual "Reboot to finish installing updates"...
Solved I can't activate my Windows 10 in Windows Updates and Activation
I have done clean install of windows 10 which I downloaded from Microsoft site and I can't activate my windows. ( I did update from windows 8.1 ) Need help!!
Can't activate Windows 10. Tried everything. in Windows Updates and Activation
I just don't know what to do at this point. Won't activate from the "Get Windows 10" program. Won't activate from the MediaCreationTool. It fully downloads and then restarts, but restarts to Windows 8.1 Endless failed updates, Tons of useless...

Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:21.
Find Us