im not getting an activation from microsoft after clean install  


  1. Posts : 30
    Windows 10
       #1

    im not getting an activation from microsoft after clean install


    I wanted to clean install my windows 10 I got from 7 upgrade and its been about 20 mins now and still no activation... should I have had my wifi connected during install?
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 18,319
    Windows 11 Pro
       #2

    When connected to the internet, from a command prompt type "slmgr /ato" without the quotes. I don't think it has to be run as administrator command prompt, but it might.

    That initiates an online activation attempt.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 30
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #3

    NavyLCDR said:
    When connected to the internet, from a command prompt type "slmgr /ato" without the quotes. I don't think it has to be run as administrator command prompt, but it might.

    That initiates an online activation attempt.
    It said "Error: 0xC004C003 The activation server determined the specified product key is blocked" *Sigh* I guess its time to break out the good ole Win7 Disk and just do the upgrade again

    EDIT: So I guess trying to clean install using a usb on a win 10 attained from free upgrade doesn't work?
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 5,478
    2004
       #4

    Assuming it was activated before you could try slui 4 to get their number and phone them.

    Worked for me in this situation (after a couple of calls).
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 30
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #5

    halasz said:
    Assuming it was activated before
    Before I tired the clean install from usb I had win 10 activated from free upgrade, is that what you mean?

    EDIT: Wait @!#$ I deleted every partition in the setup I think Microsoft uses that to validate the pc....
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 5,478
    2004
       #6

    MrOblivion said:
    Before I tired the clean install from usb I had win 10 activated from free upgrade, is that what you mean?
    Yes exactly. I lost activation doing clean install (it was activated after upgrading from 7 and wasn't after clean install with same error as you).

    Phoning fixed it but I had to phone a few times to get someone to fix it - some of the MS staff just say upgrade again, some sign on and activate your system with a new key.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 30
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #7

    halasz said:
    Yes exactly. I lost activation doing clean install (it was activated after upgrading from 7 and wasn't after clean install with same error as you).

    Phoning fixed it but I had to phone a few times to get someone to fix it - some of the MS staff just say upgrade again, some sign on and activate your system with a new key.
    when I was using slui 4 it states that it uses an automated machine so wouldn't that mean that if it doesn't like the ID I'm screwed lol
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 5,478
    2004
       #8

    MrOblivion said:
    when I was using slui 4 it states that it uses an automated machine so wouldn't that mean that if it doesn't like the ID I'm screwed lol
    No. After you type in the number if it doesn't recognize it the robot puts you through to a real person.

    It may work - if it does it is quicker than upgrading again..
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 18,319
    Windows 11 Pro
       #9

    MrOblivion said:
    EDIT: Wait @!#$ I deleted every partition in the setup I think Microsoft uses that to validate the pc....
    Nope. The partitions have nothing to do with activation. I've deleted all partitions on a clean install, and have had several different partition combinations. All mine have activated. I think what happened is some people got their initial activations back when MS was having issues with their activation servers and the proper initial activation didn't get saved properly or got corrupted. That's just my personal theory. I've done 4 or 5 clean installs at my house, including deleting all partitions, and have never had a problem with activation.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:52.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums