Windows 10: Concerns with fresh install on different hard drive Solved


  1. Posts : 404
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
       11 Oct 2015 #1

    Concerns with fresh install on different hard drive


    Hi everyone, I've upgraded to 10 from W7, and I've had nothing but problems with it, so i'm concerned about the installation to a different SSD than the one I'm using, my mind is telling me it should be fine as the Upgrade happened all on the same hardware, but changing the location of installation, does that affect activation?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 16,540
    Win10 Pro, Win10 Pro N, Win10 Home, Win10 Pro Insider Fast Ring, Windows 8.1 Pro, Ubuntu
       11 Oct 2015 #2

    MrNeeds said: View Post
    Hi everyone, I've upgraded to 10 from W7, and I've had nothing but problems with it, so i'm concerned about the installation to a different SSD than the one I'm using, my mind is telling me it should be fine as the Upgrade happened all on the same hardware, but changing the location of installation, does that affect activation?
    I went from a Samsung 840 Pro 256GB to a Samsung 850 Pro 512GB a couple of weeks ago using Macrium to clone, then I extended the C: partition with no negative effects. Hope that helps
      My ComputersSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 404
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    Thread Starter
       11 Oct 2015 #3

    Cliff S said: View Post
    I went from a Samsung 840 Pro 256GB to a Samsung 850 Pro 512GB a couple of weeks ago using Macrium to clone, then I extended the C: partition with no negative effects. Hope that helps
    I'm not looking to clone though, it retains all relevant information when cloning, but my concern is the fresh install from the media creation tool and format all drives, do a fresh install and start new.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 1,179
    Windows 10 Home
       11 Oct 2015 #4

    MrNeeds said: View Post
    Hi everyone, I've upgraded to 10 from W7, and I've had nothing but problems with it, so i'm concerned about the installation to a different SSD than the one I'm using, my mind is telling me it should be fine as the Upgrade happened all on the same hardware, but changing the location of installation, does that affect activation?
    Whether you clone to, or image and restore to, or even clean install to a blank different SSD should make no difference in activation of a fresh/clean install as long as the initial upgrade activated successfully. MS activation server should allow it as the same machine.

    That's usually only a concern with a motherboard swap and likely overcome with a phone call to the MS robot.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  5. Posts : 404
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    Thread Starter
       11 Oct 2015 #5

    sounds good to me, I'll give it a go and see what happens, hopefully I won't need to go down the automated MS machine then
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 404
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    Thread Starter
       11 Oct 2015 #6

    all done, worked a treat, it asked me for my product key twice during installation, but skipped both times and windows says it's activated, so no concern was necessary, I'll contribute to your rep points for the help, thanks.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  7. Posts : 1,179
    Windows 10 Home
       11 Oct 2015 #7

    Glad it worked as we all thought it would!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Hi! Bought a replacement secondary hard drive, but want to know best tool to clone it. My main drive is an SSD with Windows on, but I used Kari's tutorial to move the user folder on to a secondary hard drive, so just unsure on the best way to go...
I have a lot of hard drives on quite a few pc's. I have always read that you should keep a minimum of 15% of free space on any hard drive, which I do on all of my hard drives (7 I think). I recently bought a LIVA MINI-PC and instead of a hard...
Partition hard drive to install Windows 7 in Installation and Upgrade
Hello all, I've already upgraded to Windows 10 on my desktop PC, and there were no issues with the upgrade. However, I work from home and my work has informed me that they won't accept Windows 10, they will only accept 7 or 8.1 as their operating...
I have a laptop and a desktop with a 120 gig ssd and a 64 gig SSD respectively. Both computers have conventional hard drives as drive D. I have two 250 gig SSD's on the way. What is the best strategy for moving to the new SSD's and preforming the...
As per title, i have this annoying issue. Having a 3TB hard drive in win7, after partitioning normally the first 2GB of it, i opted to use partition wizard to partition the remaining 1GB of the drive. It did so, i assume, by creating a permanent...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:12.
Find Us