Windows 10: Checking for updates (Forever running) Solved


  1. Posts : 2
    Windows 10 Home Premium
       01 Oct 2015 #1

    [SOLVED] Checking for updates (Forever running)


    Hi there,

    Previously I had an update which windows kept on updating and undoing the update for some reason. After which i tried to find for a solution online and somehow deleted the entire of the Software Distribution folder located in the C:\Windows folder.

    Right now my windows update is unable to find any updates at all as it is forever on the "Checking for updates" section. I've tried using the command prompt to scan the SFC ("sfc /scannow") and also the re-creation of the SystemDistribution folder through stopping the service, deleting it and then starting it again... but it's still the same.

    Any ideas of how can I fix this issue? Help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Kiryu; 01 Oct 2015 at 08:02.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 32
    W10 pro & W10 Home 64Bit
       01 Oct 2015 #2

    Have a look in the thread, "kb3093266 - what does it do?"


    Try this thread: Solved Windows10 Update: kb3093266 - What Does It Do? - Windows 10 Forums

    A lot of people seem to be experiencing all sorts of issues. I couldn't install it at all - on two PCs. One Pro edition, One Home edition, both 64. Now after reading up on it I'm actually very glad I could not install
    this update. A few people have no problems, but for many others it's just another botched update. It is disgraceful behaviour on MS part.

    There may be some help in the thread above, but if nothing helps there, at least you can take comfort that it's not your PC, and you are not alone.

    Edit: changed could install to "could not install"
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 2
    Windows 10 Home Premium
       01 Oct 2015 #3

    AndyG said: View Post
    Try this thread: Solved Windows10 Update: kb3093266 - What Does It Do? - Windows 10 Forums

    A lot of people seem to be experiencing all sorts of issues. I couldn't install it at all - on two PCs. One Pro edition, One Home edition, both 64. Now after reading up on it I'm actually very glad I could not install
    this update. A few people have no problems, but for many others it's just another botched update. It is disgraceful behaviour on MS part.

    There may be some help in the thread above, but if nothing helps there, at least you can take comfort that it's not your PC, and you are not alone.

    Edit: changed could install to "could not install"

    Hey thanks for the advice but I've got the windows update to work again.
    Basically all i did was to download the Windows Update Diagnostic diagcab file from *SEE BELOW* website. Then i run the "sfc /scannow" command line prompt in CMD (as admin). CMD will show that it has fixed some errors but there are also some that it can't solve but I guess that's not a big issue to worry for now.

    After restarting, the windows update went back to normal and right now its the KB3093266 issue which you have posted the link on. Will take a look at that post but once again thanks for your help regardless!

    Edit - Realized that I can't find the link anymore. Will upload the link to the file below.
    MEGA
    Ran with eset Nod32 Antivirus - Results were fine if you would to ask.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 32
    W10 pro & W10 Home 64Bit
       03 Oct 2015 #4

    I'm glad you got it working. I'll try again at some time in the order you mentioned. Thanks, Kiryu
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. XweAponX's Avatar
    Posts : 558
    Windows 10 Pro/Windows 7 Ultimate
       04 Oct 2015 #5

    AndyG said: View Post
    Try this thread: Solved Windows10 Update: kb3093266 - What Does It Do? - Windows 10 Forums

    A lot of people seem to be experiencing all sorts of issues. I couldn't install it at all - on two PCs. One Pro edition, One Home edition, both 64. Now after reading up on it I'm actually very glad I could not install
    this update. A few people have no problems, but for many others it's just another botched update. It is disgraceful behaviour on MS part.

    There may be some help in the thread above, but if nothing helps there, at least you can take comfort that it's not your PC, and you are not alone.

    Edit: changed could install to "could not install"
    I'm surprised, because I had trouble with KB3081444, that update bricked my computer and I was lucky enough to be able to do a system restore to earlier that day. But I took a chance on this update and I'm glad I did because it seems to have improved a lot of things. After that 1444 fiasco, I had windows update shut off completely. And I was installing updates only through the WHDownloader tool. But recently somebody posted a tool where you can show or hide updates and also a way of telling windows updates to notify you only and not to download the updates, through group policy editor.

    Ever since the WUshowhide tool, it has been a lot easier to deal with updates. Also I notice that they are not pushing through as many updates, it seems they are combining a lot of things into a cumulative update every couple of weeks, I actually didn't have any updates at all for two weeks before I install that one.

    For some reason KB3081444 totally destroyed my video output. But I haven't had any issues with updates since then. But on a whole windows 10 does not feel a solid as windows 8 or windows 7 has been for me. I don't feel I can depend on it yet. Which is why I keep seven and eight in my other PCs.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 32
    W10 pro & W10 Home 64Bit
       05 Oct 2015 #6

    Yeah, difficult to find a pattern. Different People, different results


    XweAponX said: View Post
    I'm surprised, because I had trouble with KB3081444, that update bricked my computer and I was lucky enough to be able to do a system restore to earlier that day. But I took a chance on this update and I'm glad I did because it seems to have improved a lot of things. After that 1444 fiasco, I had windows update shut off completely. And I was installing updates only through the WHDownloader tool. But recently somebody posted a tool where you can show or hide updates and also a way of telling windows updates to notify you only and not to download the updates, through group policy editor.

    Ever since the WUshowhide tool, it has been a lot easier to deal with updates. Also I notice that they are not pushing through as many updates, it seems they are combining a lot of things into a cumulative update every couple of weeks, I actually didn't have any updates at all for two weeks before I install that one.

    For some reason KB3081444 totally destroyed my video output. But I haven't had any issues with updates since then. But on a whole windows 10 does not feel a solid as windows 8 or windows 7 has been for me. I don't feel I can depend on it yet. Which is why I keep seven and eight in my other PCs.
    Yeah, I agree, it's weird how different people get different errors (or success). KB3081444 caused me no problems at all. Didn't even think about it as I didn't notice any changes.
    If you read my post in the "Solved Windows 10 Update" thread. You will see it works fine for me now. But my case was very unusual I think. It's in the post. I also included a question for you regarding Cortana. Your post was good to read. First solid and positive info I have read about the latest CU, so thanks again.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
I am currently using windows 7 64-bit. I downloaded windows 10 from the ms site (the automatic icon never appeared on my pc), and am using the media creation tool. All goes fine until 'Getting Updates', when it hangs on 'checking for updates'....
Came to check my secondary machine which usually remains locked but powered on and windows update said your device is up to date last checked 06/08/15 at 23:01, today is 12/08/15. Anyone else seeing this?
Updates taking forever in Installation and Setup
With windows 10 , Getting updates . This might take a few minutes . Well it has been 4 hrs and usually I download at 700 k to 1.1 Mb per sec ? 28281 What updates do you think it is snagging ?
Error 0x80240438 when checking for updates in Windows Updates and Activation
Hello. I cannot check for updates in Windows 10 9926. I get the error 0x80240438. I already tried disabling my antivirus, didn't help.
Source...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:55.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums