Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    02 Oct 2015 #11
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 22
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    There were some cases during the timeframe that Microsoft was having problems with their activation servers when they seemed to lose the stored activation information and people doing subsequent clean installs could not get an activation until they went back and did another upgrade. Paawan, about all you can do at this point is go back to Windows 8.1, make sure it is activated, and do another upgrade. This time make sure to just do an upgrade - leave applications and user accounts/data in place. Check to make sure the Windows 10 resulting from the upgrade is activated. Then you are supposed to be able to do a clean install, skip entering the product code, and have it activated. I've done three or four clean installs and it has always worked for me, so far, after a fully activated upgrade from various versions of Windows 7 and 8/8.1.

    Or purchase a Windows 10 Product Key, or beg Microsoft for an activation code/Product Key.
    OK I'll try it again and let you know how it goes. Since my connection is very slow is there any way I can use the dvd to do the thing you mentioned. I mean can I somehow do it without having to download the 3 GB thing again?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  2.    02 Oct 2015 #12
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 22
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Word Man View Post
    You won't get a clean install activated (via the free upgrade) unless you have done a successfully activated free upgrade first - in that activation should be the first time that MS activation servers record a unique "thumbprint" (specific hardware ID hash for the various components) for your machine and provide activation for that machine. From then on out, the MS activation server can identify your machine as having already been activated when you do the clean install.
    Ok I get it. Just one more thing if supposing the upgrade had been activated earlier would it cause any problem on upgrading again? Like are you sure the key would not be blocked since it would be the second time I would be upgrading?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  3.    02 Oct 2015 #13
    Join Date : Aug 2015
    Penn's Woods
    Posts : 1,179
    Windows 10 Home

    Quote Originally Posted by Paawan View Post
    Ok I get it. Just one more thing if supposing the upgrade had been activated earlier would it cause any problem on upgrading again? Like are you sure the key would not be blocked since it would be the second time I would be upgrading?
    As long as the machine recorded on the MS activation server has had no major change in its components - this usually means just the motherboard (even that COULD be approved by calling MS) - the Win10 activation is good for the life of the machine. This means you can do the clean install as many times as you need and, yes, repeat the upgrade process as many times as you like. In fact, repeating an "in-place" upgrade is a way to reverse any problematic changes you may have made to the Win10 install that you come to regret.

    If you reinstall Win 8.1, then that would still have to be activated by it's own pre-existing method before you go on to a repeat upgrade of Win10 - in that case, I'm not aware of any reason MS would block Win10 activation, even though it may have recorded an identical machine ID in the past. Your Win 8.1 license has not been revoked and (up until July 2016) the free Win10 upgrade offer still stands.

    After July 2016, I don't believe you can repeat the Win 8.1 install/activation and then upgrade to WIn10 without having to buy a license - what kind of deal MS will offer at that point, I haven't found any information on.

    You might consider capturing images of the system with freshly installed and activated Win 8.1 and same for Win10 with a good 3rd party program like Macrium Reflect Free if you have external storage available. That can secure the installs and data for any back and forth you end up doing.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  4.    02 Oct 2015 #14
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,034
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by admicsoft View Post
    May be you need more information regarding win8.1 key or win10 key, could you contact me ? or add my skype dedy.dela
    No, I don't need any more information, thank you for the offer.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  5.    02 Oct 2015 #15
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 22
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by Word Man View Post
    As long as the machine recorded on the MS activation server has had no major change in its components - this usually means just the motherboard (even that COULD be approved by calling MS) - the Win10 activation is good for the life of the machine. This means you can do the clean install as many times as you need and, yes, repeat the upgrade process as many times as you like. In fact, repeating an "in-place" upgrade is a way to reverse any problematic changes you may have made to the Win10 install that you come to regret.

    If you reinstall Win 8.1, then that would still have to be activated by it's own pre-existing method before you go on to a repeat upgrade of Win10 - in that case, I'm not aware of any reason MS would block Win10 activation, even though it may have recorded an identical machine ID in the past. Your Win 8.1 license has not been revoked and (up until July 2016) the free Win10 upgrade offer still stands.

    After July 2016, I don't believe you can repeat the Win 8.1 install/activation and then upgrade to WIn10 without having to buy a license - what kind of deal MS will offer at that point, I haven't found any information on.

    You might consider capturing images of the system with freshly installed and activated Win 8.1 and same for Win10 with a good 3rd party program like Macrium Reflect Free if you have external storage available. That can secure the installs and data for any back and forth you end up doing.
    So can you again just confirm what I have to do now.
    Do a factory reset to windows 8.1 and confirm that its activated. Upgrade normally. Confirm win 10 is activated. Then do a clean install from win 10 only.
    Is there any method in which I dont have to download the 3 GB file again and somehow I can use the dvd to do the upgrade?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  6.    02 Oct 2015 #16
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,034
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Paawan View Post
    So can you again just confirm what I have to do now.
    Do a factory reset to windows 8.1 and confirm that its activated. Upgrade normally. Confirm win 10 is activated. Then do a clean install from win 10 only.
    Is there any method in which I dont have to download the 3 GB file again and somehow I can use the dvd to do the upgrade?
    Just put the Windows 10 DVD in and run setup.exe from it to do the upgrade. Just make sure it is the correct version of Windows 10.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  7.    03 Oct 2015 #17
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 22
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Just put the Windows 10 DVD in and run setup.exe from it to do the upgrade. Just make sure it is the correct version of Windows 10.
    After going back to 8.1 and making sure it is activated?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  8.    03 Oct 2015 #18
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,034
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Paawan View Post
    After going back to 8.1 and making sure it is activated?
    Yes.
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  9.    03 Oct 2015 #19
    Join Date : Sep 2015
    Posts : 22
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter

    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Yes.
    It is not letting me do a upgrade the upgrade option is asking for a product key and I am not able to skip the step. It is only allowing me to skip the product key step in the clean install option.
    What should I do now?
      My ComputerSystem Spec
  10.    03 Oct 2015 #20
    Join Date : Jul 2015
    Posts : 9,034
    Windows 10 Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by Paawan View Post
    It is not letting me do a upgrade the upgrade option is asking for a product key and I am not able to skip the step. It is only allowing me to skip the product key step in the clean install option.
    What should I do now?
    You are trying to upgrade to the wrong version of Windows 10. You will have to download the version that matches your Window 8.1
      My ComputerSystem Spec

 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Activation fails Error code: 0xC004C003
I had upgraded from W8.1 and Windows 10 was activated. I was under the impression that I didn't need a product key and that my PC would be recognized after doing a clean install. Now I have W10 installed fresh, but get the error code: Error code:...
Windows Updates and Activation
Activation fails Error code: 0xC004C003
I'm having this issue on a Store purchased Toshiba Satellite Pro which had Windows 7 Home Prem. I followed all the upgrade instructions and it all looks good except it's not activated. Product key blocked. Error code: 0xC004C003
Windows Updates and Activation
error 0xC004C003 Fresh Reinstall after activation
Originally, my T430 was running the RTM build before upgrading to the full release. My laptop was fully activated afterwards. However when i did a fresh reinstall on a USB afterwards, i get an error message in the settings stating that my product...
Windows Updates and Activation
Activation help, Error code: 0xC004C003
So, I reserved my free Windows 10. When it was July 29th, I got the Media Creation Tool and burned an iso. I didn't upgrade, I went straight to a clean install. Will I be activated automatically soon? Or do I have to upgrade? When I upgrade to...
Windows Updates and Activation
Activation error 0xC004C003 on HP Pavilion following upgrade to W10
Looks like a common problem. I used the upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 which was activated. Now I cannot get my Windows activated as the server repeatedly blocks me. I have used the slmgr.vbs /ato command and each time it comes back the...
Windows Updates and Activation
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:09.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+ Ten Forums iOS App Ten Forums Android App



Windows 10 Forums