Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 34
    Windows 10
       15 Sep 2015 #1

    Activation problem


    I was part of the Windows insider program and in June I got the Evaluation version of W10 on my W8.1 laptop. Everything went well and just before the release date I got the release copy of W10 without the watermark. Yesterday I saw there was an update to a new build so I installed it. When it finished there was a watermark back with the build number 105?? and also was saying that I had an evaluation build. So I did a clean install using the media creation tool. It just finished and now it tells me that I need to activate Windows 10. How do I do that? I thought the installation was supposed to take care of that! Now what do I do? There is no Product Key sticker on the Lenovo laptop, there never was. Please Help.

    Len
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  2. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 6,846
    Windows 10 Pro
       15 Sep 2015 #2

    I would go back to Windows 8.1 and upgrade that to Windows 10 with Media Creation Tool to establish a good, solid permanent activation on Microsoft activation servers via the retail activation channel.

    Also, in regards to your first update to a new build - there have been no new RTM builds since 10240. Any build with 105?? is an insider build for evaluation so it will have a watermark and an expiration date.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 34
    Windows 10
       15 Sep 2015 #3

    I can't go back since I updated to W10 3 months ago. I'm not at all certain of the build number since I made no notation of it. Is there some other way to activate my laptop, I was happy with W10 right up untill I updated and my troubles began.

    Len
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  4. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 6,846
    Windows 10 Pro
       15 Sep 2015 #4

    Do you have a product key for Windows 8.1 stored in Bios? You can check with Showkey from this forum:
    Showkey - Windows 10 Forums

    If you do, you can download Windows 8/8.1 OEM and clean install it, then do upgrade to Windows 10 RTM with the Media Creation Tool and get a solid permanent activation stored on Microsoft servers for your computer.

    Also, make sure that the Windows 10 that you installed with the Media Creation Tool is the same version as Showkey shows your original Windows 8/8.1 was (which you had to have upgraded from to get a Windows 10 Activation), Home, Pro or Single Language.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 34
    Windows 10
       15 Sep 2015 #5

    Thanks for your help, I got Show Key and found two Product keys, one was labeled original product key. I copied them both. I am now downloading W8.1, then I assume I'll do all of the updates then the upgrade to W10. I'll keep you posted on the installation, It's good to have someone to help with this project.
    Thanks again,
    Len
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 6,846
    Windows 10 Pro
       15 Sep 2015 #6

    lenberman said: View Post
    Thanks for your help, I got Show Key and found two Product keys, one was labeled original product key. I copied them both. I am now downloading W8.1, then I assume I'll do all of the updates then the upgrade to W10. I'll keep you posted on the installation, It's good to have someone to help with this project.
    Thanks again,
    Len
    You don't have to do any of the updates for Windows 8.1. Once Windows 8.1 is installed and activated, you can immediately use Media Creation Tool to "Upgrade this PC now". That will automatically ensure you get the version of Windows 10 you need for the upgrade. Once the upgrade is done, you can run "slmgr /dlv" from a command prompt and make sure your Windows 10 is activated through the retail activation channel and there should be no mention of an expiration date. Then you can run "slmgr /xpr" from a command prompt and you should get a return that says "This machine is permanently activated".

    After that you should be good to go with whatever you want to do with that same version of Windows 10 - such as clean install or insider builds. Once you get the permanently activated with no expiration install of Windows 10, you should never enter a product key for it. Skip or "do this later" for any step that asks for a product key and if it is the same version of Windows 10 (home or pro), it is supposed to get activation from the Microsoft activation servers based on hardware information established during the first activation from a good upgrade.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7.    15 Sep 2015 #7

    lenberman said: View Post
    I was part of the Windows insider program and in June I got the Evaluation version of W10 on my W8.1 laptop. Everything went well and just before the release date I got the release copy of W10 without the watermark. Yesterday I saw there was an update to a new build so I installed it. When it finished there was a watermark back with the build number 105?? and also was saying that I had an evaluation build. So I did a clean install using the media creation tool. It just finished and now it tells me that I need to activate Windows 10. How do I do that? I thought the installation was supposed to take care of that! Now what do I do? There is no Product Key sticker on the Lenovo laptop, there never was. Please Help.

    Len
    When you used the Media Creation Tool, did you download the same version as on your PC previously?

    It has to be completely the same as the one you had installed on it. For me, it's Win10Pro - 64bit - US version. Any other version won't get activated on this PC. Microsoft is very strict about that.

    If you downloaded the right version, it should work!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 34
    Windows 10
       15 Sep 2015 #8

    I am a little confused on one point, I used ShowKey to find my key for W8.1, are you saying that I don't input the key to activate W8.1?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Nov 2014
    UK
    Posts : 232
    Windows 10 Pro 64bit
       15 Sep 2015 #9

    lenberman said: View Post
    I am a little confused on one point, I used ShowKey to find my key for W8.1, are you saying that I don't input the key to activate W8.1?
    Windows 7/8/8.1 must be activated using the product key that came with the OS before the upgrade to Windows 10.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 6,846
    Windows 10 Pro
       15 Sep 2015 #10

    WightWalker said: View Post
    Windows 7/8/8.1 must be activated using the product key that came with the OS before the upgrade to Windows 10.
    But...it should also be reading the Windows 8/8.1 key stored in Bios and not asking for a manual input.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Activation
Just downloaded 10532 and all went well. It shows that it is activated but has an expiration date of 07-15-2016. When I run slmgr /xpr it shows it is activated permanently on this machine. Are they referring to the original RTM as being permanent?
Windows Insider
activation
hi by what i understand if i do upgrade Microsoft stays with my id, later if i do a clean install i can activate. so far so good In case of laptops with windows 8 that key is on bios. if i do a fresh install of windows 10 will i do the...
Windows Updates and Activation
Solved Activation
I upgraded to 10. Here is a pic of the activation status. Even If i clean install 10, It won't ask for key rite? 26501
Windows Updates and Activation
Activation Problem - Win 10
Hello all I today downloaded the Win10 ISO with Microsoft's "create installation media" tool. I then extracted that ISO to my USB drive and used it to upgrade my activated 8.1 installation. It did not ask for any key during the upgrade process....
Windows Updates and Activation
Solved Activation woes - Windows needs activation to personalize
Hi there anybody else got this -- trying to personalize PC -got you need to activate windows before you can personalize PC. Now what do I do !!!!!?! Is this normal (I did an UPDATE rather than a new install BTW). Cheers
Windows Updates and Activation
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:31.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums