WUMT doesn't install updates

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 943
    windows 10 professional 64-bit, 22H2
       #1

    WUMT doesn't install updates


    I posted this question at Using CMD script and VBScript to control Windows Update & Matthew Wai suggested that I ask here.

    Every morning I get a message that there are updates (this morning it said 35 updates). When I run the tool, it says it downloads with errors & then nothing installs. I had thought that the WUMT gives control over windows update, but it doesn't seem to work any more.

    Is there another management tool for Windows Update that will let me control which updates I install?

    Thank you in advance.

    P.S. Forgot to change my version of windows in my signature. It's Windows 10 Pro, (64-bit) Version 21H2, Build 19045.2788
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 42,922
    Win 10 Pro (22H2) (2nd PC is 22H2)
       #2

    35 updates? Wow! For what, I wonder? I would never expect to see 35 Windows updates.

    Please post a screenshot of what you are seeing.

    When you say the download fails, presumably you first see the list of updates presented, with check boxes. Is that correct?

    If so, that's the 'control'.
    I had thought that the WUMT gives control over windows update, but it doesn't seem to work any more.
    It seems you may be confusing control (checkboxes) with it failing to apply the updates successfully.

    What integrity checks have you done on your Windows installation?
    If there's something wrong with that, no 3rd party tool is going to help you.

    If you are using WUMT, have you somehow disabled Windows Update?

    Which updates, specifically, do you consistently not wish to receive and why?

    N.B. you have Pro.
    As such you could use Group Policy to set updates to Notify.
    That way you are notified. No updates are downloaded until you respond to that.
    However, none are excluded.

    Should you wish to exclude preview updates- that too can be done using Group Policy.

    Driver updates for specific hardware can be blocked (Tutorial available).
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 943
    windows 10 professional 64-bit, 22H2
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Thank you so much for your reply!

    dalchina said:
    35 updates? Wow! For what, I wonder? I would never expect to see 35 Windows updates.

    Please post a screenshot of what you are seeing.
    WUMT doesn't install updates-wumt.jpg

    When you say the download fails, presumably you first see the list of updates presented, with check boxes. Is that correct?
    Yes

    dalchina said:
    If so, that's the 'control'.

    It seems you may be confusing control (checkboxes) with it failing to apply the updates successfully.
    There's a down arrow underlined on the left side of the screenshot. That's supposed to install updates. I'm not sure why it says updates downloaded with errors either.[/QUOTE]

    dalchina said:
    What integrity checks have you done on your Windows installation?
    If there's something wrong with that, no 3rd party tool is going to help you.
    I used Brink's Reset_Reregister_Windows_Update_Components.bat

    dalchina said:
    If you are using WUMT, have you somehow disabled Windows Update?
    Actually, I thought that the WUMT did disable WU & allowed you to look at the updates offered (usually very few) & then decide which you wanted to hide & which you wanted to install.

    dalchina said:
    Which updates, specifically, do you consistently not wish to receive and why?
    At this point, I'm not sure. I used to review a few of them at a time. I have an Acronis True Image backup program installed, which has a "Try & Decide" feature. You can install, test, & then remove changes if you find out your system is acting up. I use a lot of Microsoft Office 2003 programs & these seem to be updates, but I don't know why they just showed up recently.

    Also, I just noticed today that they now are all listed in Settings/Update & Security, which wasn't true a few days ago. The problem with using the regular WU is that I can't install just a couple at a time & test.

    dalchina said:
    N.B. you have Pro.
    As such you could use Group Policy to set updates to Notify.
    That way you are notified. No updates are downloaded until you respond to that.
    However, none are excluded.
    Yes, I did that a long time ago. It's set to "2. Notify for download & auto install". I did that so that I could use "Try & Decide" when new updates came out. Sometimes these updates change the way the program operates, so I wanted to choose them.

    Should you wish to exclude preview updates- that too can be done using Group Policy.

    Driver updates for specific hardware can be blocked (Tutorial available).[/QUOTE]

    I just can't understand why I'm notified about 35 updates all at once. I'd like to install a couple (using Try & Decide), test, & then install a couple more, so I can retain the ability to reject them.
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 16,914
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 22H2 Build 19045.4170
       #4

    1 About "I thought that the WUMT did disable WU" and "I had thought that the WUMT gives control over windows update"
    No, it does neither. If your WU is not working then you either have a fault or you have disabled it.
    WUMT is just a means of listing & downloading updates. It has no effect on WU itself.
    I have WUMT and my WU works.
    WUMT is often used when WU has been disabled by other means and I suspect that you did so ages ago and have merely forgotten.
    Perhaps you used a thing called WUMT WrapperScript / SledgeHammer to disable WU and set up WUMT in its place? - Download Sledgehammer (formerly WUMT Wrapper Script) - MajorGeeks


    2 Try WUMgr instead.
    Toolkit Item Introducing Windows Update Manager - Win10Guru
    WUMgr Review - gHacks Tech News
    Given what you have already written, I think it will also fail so you can use that as evidence of a WU problem.


    3 Try downloading some of your updates from the MSUpdateCatalog by searching on their KB numbers. If this also fails then WU becomes even more suspect.


    4 Run SFC Option 3.
    SFC - TenForumsTutorials
    - If there are irreparable errors check the notes at the end of Option 3 and make sure you are online.


    5 Try a Repair install [despite its name it is a repair procedure not an installation].
    Repair Install - TenForumsTutorials


    6 How long has this problem existed?


    7 I don't do anything fancy to stop WU doing updates. I just set my network connections to metered & WU never downloads or installs updates automatically [apart from one inconsequential update each year]. The only side-effect is that MSOffice Outlook 2016+ will not check pop3 [and possibly imap] email automatically.


    8 I do not know why you have both MSOffice 2003 & 2007. MSOffice 2007 was the pinnacle of MSOffice achievement so I can understand keeping it but I do not know of any benefit in keeping 2003.


    Note - Build 19045.2728 is Version 22H2 not 21H2.


    All the best,
    Denis
    Last edited by Try3; 11 Apr 2023 at 00:07.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 943
    windows 10 professional 64-bit, 22H2
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Hi Denis. Thank you for your detailed response. I would have responded sooner, but I wanted to check the things that you asked & had a few medical appointments.

    Try3 said:
    1 About "I thought that the WUMT did disable WU" and "I had thought that the WUMT gives control over windows update"
    No, it does neither. If your WU is not working then you either have a fault or you have disabled it.
    WUMT is just a means of listing & downloading updates. It has no effect on WU itself.
    I have WUMT and my WU works.
    WUMT is often used when WU has been disabled by other means and I suspect that you did so ages ago and have merely forgotten.
    Perhaps you used a thing called WUMT WrapperScript / SledgeHammer to disable WU and set up WUMT in its place? - Download Sledgehammer (formerly WUMT Wrapper Script) - MajorGeeks
    I checked & I had downloaded Sledgehammer, but never used it. I followed the instructions by Matthew Wai & ran #_Control_Windows_Update.vbs, which was:
    Set l=CreateObject("Shell.Application"):If WScript.Arguments.length = 0 Then
    l.ShellExecute"wscript.exe",""""&WScript.ScriptFullName&""""&" +","","RunAs",1
    Else
    Set X=CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    Temp=X.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%Temp%")
    Set A=CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    Folder=Temp&"\#_Control_Windows_Update_via_scripts"
    On Error Resume Next
    A.DeleteFolder (Folder):A.CreateFolder (Folder)
    A.CreateTextFile (Folder & "\#_Started.txt")
    '覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
    Path = split(wscript.scriptFullName, wscript.scriptname)(0)
    Item = Path & "bin\PowerShell_1.ps1"
    X.run ("powershell -executionpolicy bypass -file " & """" & Item & """")
    End if
    '覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
    WScript.Quit[/QUOTE]
    Try3 said:
    2 Try WUMgr instead.
    Toolkit Item Introducing Windows Update Manager - Win10Guru
    WUMgr Review - gHacks Tech News
    Given what you have already written, I think it will also fail so you can use that as evidence of a WU problem.
    I will try that. I was away for about a week & had turned off my computer. When I came back, I saw that WUMT said there were thirty some updates. This has only been happening for 4 days. In the meantime, I did run Brink痴 Reset_Reregister_Windows_Update_Components.bat, as suggested by Dalchina. If I go to Settings/Update & Security, the updates are shown there. (I previously set a group policy to notify me of updates onlyno install.). I don稚 want to install all the updates at once, as I want to check if anything is broken after the update.

    Try3 said:
    3 Try downloading some of your updates from the MSUpdateCatalog by searching on their KB numbers. If this also fails then WU becomes even more suspect.
    I went to 天iew installed updates & found that some updates had been installed on April 4, just before I went out of town & shut down my computer. I just used the WUMT to download the latest update for Windows Defender Antivirus (KB2267602) & it downloaded & installed, so I think WU is working.
    Try3 said:
    4 Run SFC Option 3.
    SFC - TenForumsTutorials
    - If there are irreparable errors check the notes at the end of Option 3 and make sure you are online.
    I first had to used Matthew痴 Undo_the_changes.vbs because some of the files were locked. When I ran sfc /scannow, the result was 展indows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

    Try3 said:
    5 Try a Repair install [despite its name it is a repair procedure not an installation].
    Repair Install - TenForumsTutorials
    I didn稚 do this since sfc /scannow didn稚 find any integrity violations & I didn稚 want to lose any customized system fonts or icons.

    Try3 said:
    6 How long has this problem existed?
    This has only been happening for 4 days.


    Try3 said:
    8 I do not know why you have both MSOffice 2003 & 2007. MSOffice 2007 was the pinnacle of MSOffice achievement so I can understand keeping it but I do not know of any benefit in keeping 2003.
    Office 2003 was the last one to use the menu, which I much prefer. The advantage is that I can do almost anything on the menu by using the keyboard, which I much prefer to the mouse. There are dozens of keyboard shortcuts that are automatic for me in Microsoft Word. After they 砥pdated Office to the 途ibbon, all of these keyboard shortcuts were gone. As a result, I stuck with 2003.

    Try3 said:
    Note - Build 19045.2728 is Version 22H2 not 21H2.
    Thank you. I致e updated my signature.
    My only problem now is that all of these old updates (as far back as 2012) are being offered & I don稚 know why it痴 happening all of a sudden. Other than the critical updates, I知 tempted to hide all the rest.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 42,922
    Win 10 Pro (22H2) (2nd PC is 22H2)
       #6

    Note:
    a. You appear to be using an old version of WUMT
    b. You can exclude Office updates as an option both in Settings and in WUMT

    It seems Windows is up to date, so that's not an issue.
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 16,914
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 22H2 Build 19045.4170
       #7

    1 You'll have to remove / undo the effects of that script & Sledgehammer.
    So you'll have to ask Matthew & read the Sledgehammer instructions.

    2 You will need to sort out that script & Sledgehammer before you'll get anywhere with WUMgr either.
    Since you have Pro, you need not have bothered with that script or with Sledgehammer at all.

    3 That's encouraging. It shows that WU itself is not damaged.

    4 If Undo_the_changes.vbs undoes the effects of that script then all you have to think about is how to undo any changes that Sledgehammer itself does. The SFC result is encouraging.

    5 I agree that the results so far mean that no Repair install will be necessary. But I'd still encourage you to record what changes you would need to repeat for your system fonts & icons; you're going to update to a new Version one day & your changes might or might not get overwritten.

    8 I don't know why those legitimate Office updates have only appeared recently. Perhaps you have only recently set the option [with WU, within WUMT, within WUMgr] to show updates for other MS products when checking for Windows updates.
    - In WU, it's Settings, Updates, Advanced options, Receive updates for other Microsoft products when you update Windows
    - In WUMT & WUMgr, it's that Microsoft update entry shown in the bottom-left of your diagram.
    - I imagine that this setting is also referred to in your Group policies [added later - dalchina says not]. I know nothing about Pro.


    Summary: Find out how to remove or disable Sledgehammer so that the only roadblock is your Group policy setting. Then everything will be under control.
    @dalchina - Can you advise Phrab about Group policy - Notify & Receive updates for other Microsoft products?


    All the best,
    And thanks for the rep,
    Denis
    Last edited by Try3; 12 Apr 2023 at 14:14.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 42,922
    Win 10 Pro (22H2) (2nd PC is 22H2)
       #8

    Removing Sledgehammer - if it's installed and enabled- is easy- just be careful to follow the instructions it displays.

    I don't know anything about a policy for other MS products.
    I was thinking of this in Settings:
    WUMT doesn't install updates-1.jpg
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 943
    windows 10 professional 64-bit, 22H2
    Thread Starter
       #9

    Hi Denis,

    Thanks again.

    Try3 said:
    1 You'll have to remove / undo the effects of that script & Sledgehammer.
    So you'll have to ask Matthew & read the Sledgehammer instructions.

    2 You will need to sort out that script & Sledgehammer before you'll get anywhere with WUMgr either.
    Since you have Pro, you need not have bothered with that script or with Sledgehammer at all.
    I never installed Sledgehammer...I just downloaded it & never used it. I was able to undo the changes by using the "Undo_the_changes.vbs" and select option (1), which will unlock the system files previously locked by "Commands.cmd". Windows update is running again.
    Try3 said:
    4 If Undo_the_changes.vbs undoes the effects of that script then all you have to think about is how to undo any changes that Sledgehammer itself does. The SFC result is encouraging.

    5 I agree that the results so far mean that no Repair install will be necessary. But I'd still encourage you to record what changes you would need to repeat for your system fonts & icons; you're going to update to a new Version one day & your changes might or might not get overwritten.
    Excellent suggestion. Actually, I have a log of just about every change or update that I ever made. I just have to find it.

    Try3 said:
    8 I don't know why those legitimate Office updates have only appeared recently. Perhaps you have only recently set the option [with WU, within WUMT, within WUMgr] to show updates for other MS products when checking for Windows updates.
    - In WU, it's Settings, Updates, Advanced options, Receive updates for other Microsoft products when you update Windows
    - In WUMT & WUMgr, it's that Microsoft update entry shown in the bottom-left of your diagram.
    That's exactly what happened!! I completely forgot that I made that change & don't even know why I did. I just changed it back & rebooted. The old updates are still listed there. I think I'll have to use the 3rd party tool from MajorGeeks to hide these...wither WUMT or WUMgr. As @dalchina said, I'm using an old version of WUMT. The new one at MajorGeeks is updated 4/23/2022 & the WUMgr is updated 12/11/2019. I'll download the new WUMT, since I'm familiar with that.

    And @dalchina, thank you for all your information. I feel stupid for bothering you guys when I should have figured this out on my own.

    Denis, thank you again for all your help. You've hit the nail on the head. Somehow, I changed Settings/Update & Security/Advanced Options/Receive updates for other Microsoft products when you update Windows.

    - - - Updated - - -

    dalchina said:
    Removing Sledgehammer - if it's installed and enabled- is easy- just be careful to follow the instructions it displays.

    I don't know anything about a policy for other MS products.
    I was thinking of this in Settings:
    WUMT doesn't install updates-1.jpg
    Yep. That's what I did. I feel silly forgetting that.
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 16,914
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 22H2 Build 19045.4170
       #10

    phrab said:
    The old updates are still listed there.
    Just reset Windows update and the Office updates will be gone now that you've turned off that setting.
    Reset Windows Update - TenForumsTutorials

    I still do not know why you didn't just install them. They are not a disease.


    All the best,
    Denis
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

ゥ Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:48.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums