Is there any way to update Windows 10 but avoid feature update?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 260
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       #1

    Is there any way to update Windows 10 but avoid feature update?


    Here's the thing. I want to update Windows 10 1909 but with all the updates and just make sure 20H2 doesn't get installed.

    Is there any way to update Windows 10 but avoid feature update?-screenshot-1-.png

    But this is what's happening...

    Is there any way to update only to 1909 all updates and ignore the latest one?

    In other words if I install 1903 I want only 1903 updates and for 1909 only 1909 updates. How do I get Windows update to only install the current OS version?
      My Computer

  2. Berton's Avatar
    Posts : 12,278
    Win10 Version 21H2 Pro and Home, Win11 Pro
       #2

    Is there any way to update only to 1909 all updates and ignore the latest one?
    In other words if I install 1903 I want only 1903 updates and for 1909 only 1909 updates. How do I get Windows update to only install the current OS version?
    Your 2 questions seem to be in conflict. Version 21H2 Build 22000.348 is the latest I've seen but the monthly Patch Tuesday is still ahead. Basically there are 2 Version Upgrades yearly with monthly or more often Build updates. Some versions have reached end of support. Microsoft has also announced that going forward there will be once-a-year Upgrades for Win10 and Win11.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lif...0-home-and-pro
    Windows 10 itself has an announced EOL of Oct. 14, 2025,
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...4-8f15d1ebc6f1
    You might be able to use the Windows Update Catalog to get individual updates but many times have to do a Version Upgrade to do so.
    https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx

    Bottom line: there's Windows 10, there's Versions, there's Version Upgrades then there's Build updates for those Versions. If having been around Windows awhile think of the previous Service Pack. The Version number consists of the year, which half of the year as in 20H1, 20H2, 21H1 and 21H2, a change from year and month as in 1903 for 2019 March.
      My Computers

  3. Paul Black's Avatar
    Posts : 15,345
    Win 10 Pro 64-bit v1909 - Build 18363 Custom ISO Install
       #3

    Hello @BLaZiNgSPEED,

    BLaZiNgSPEED said:
    I want to update Windows 10 1909 but with all the updates and just make sure 20H2 doesn't get installed.

    Is there any way to update only to 1909 all updates and ignore the latest one?

    In other words if I install 1903 I want only 1903 updates and for 1909 only 1909 updates. How do I get Windows update to only install the current OS version?

    I do NOT fully understand exactly what you are trying to achieve.

    What you could do, is to download the v1909 ISO [ Final ] from here for example . . .

    > TechBench by WZT - Includes OLDER Windows 10 ISO's - RECOMMENDED

    . . . and then install it while you are NOT connected to the Internet.

    Then use this [ which is what I used ] to specify the Target Feature Update Version to make sure that it stays on v1909 . . .

    > How to Specify Target Feature Update Version in Windows 10

    Also, have a look at the Related Tutorials at the BOTTOM of the above Tutorial, as they may also apply to your question.

    I also have Windows Updates Disabled, and I manually run a check, and install the ones that I want to install, if ANY.

    I hope this helps.
      My Computer

  4. dalchina's Avatar
    Posts : 34,272
    Win 10 Pro (1903) (2nd PC is 21H2)
       #4

    First, to install an old Windows build you need the appropriate iso file. Easily downloadable as per tutoria (have you looked at the searchable Tutorial section?) using e.g. the Heidoc iso downoader (free). See tutorial on downloading Win 10 iso files.

    Second, when installing that you must choose not to accept updates as part of that procedure.
    Indeed you can disconnect the internet.

    Considering how you might then stay on that build:
    a. You have Pro so whilst you can defer feature updates by up to 365 days in Group Policy, given that you wish to run 1909, and that is out of date, I'm not sure how that would actually work out.

    b. Perhaps of more interest is target feature build.
    How to Specify Target Feature Update Version in Windows 10

    c. You have Pro, so you can set updates to 'Notify' in group policy. That means you have to approve them

    d. When you have the last of the available updates installed, use one of the various means available to disable Windows Update. (Two tutorials available).
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 260
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Ok so I am basically stuck. I installed Windows (10 1903 build 18362.1256) as I had that from before UK version. The US version didn't have UK keyboard layout. So I can't find a final build that includes all of the updates.

    I selected the option for Target Feature Update Version 1903. This only installed a few of the updates.

    But unfortunately, while it hides 20H2 and 1909. It doesn't seem to be fully up to date to include all security updates.

    I'm having serious problems such as RemoteFXvGPUDisablement.exe starting on windows start up something that I've never had before! This appears on every PC restart.

    I also don't see Flash Player removed.

    So even though I have specified 1903 it shows Fully Up to Date. But I know I'm not fully up to date. I tried using wsusoffline file to specifically download updates for 1903 only but while it downloaded. Most of them won't install. From this list C:\Users\Rahul\Downloads\wsusoffline120\wsusoffline\client\w100-x64\glb

    What am I doing wrong? Is my Windows (10 1903 build 18362.1256) final build? Only 5 updates are reflected in my Windows add remove list of installed updates. But no security updates. I would've expected those up to date securities to be installed.

    But something seems incomplete here.
      My Computer

  6. Paul Black's Avatar
    Posts : 15,345
    Win 10 Pro 64-bit v1909 - Build 18363 Custom ISO Install
       #6

    Hello @BLaZiNgSPEED,

    BLaZiNgSPEED said:
    OK, so I am basically stuck. I installed Windows (10 1903 build 18362.1256) as I had that from before UK version. The US version didn't have UK keyboard layout. So I can't find a final build that includes all of the updates.
    [1] Is there any reason that you want to use v1903 as opposed to v1909?
    [2] TechBench has the Final Build, did you even try it?
    [3] I have just Clean Installed v1909 on a Desktop. It had the option to select UK Keyboard and UK Extended.

    BLaZiNgSPEED said:
    I selected the option for Target Feature Update Version 1903. This only installed a few of the updates.
    That would be correct as it is ONLY installing relevant WU's upto and including that version. When I manually checked the WU's, it showed the WU to Remove Flash Player, although I downloaded it and ran it seperately [ KB4577586 - Update for the Removal of Adobe Flash Player: 27-Oct-2020 - Win 10, version 1909 ].

    BLaZiNgSPEED said:
    But unfortunately, while it hides 20H2 and 1909. It doesn't seem to be fully up to date to include all security updates.
    Which WU's specifically are you referring to?

    BLaZiNgSPEED said:
    I'm having serious problems such as RemoteFXvGPUDisablement.exe starting on windows start up something that I've never had before! This appears on every PC restart.
    I can NOT answer that as I did NOT have that problem when I Clean Installed v1909 last week.

    BLaZiNgSPEED said:
    So even though I have specified 1903 it shows Fully Up to Date. But I know I'm not fully up to date. I tried using wsusoffline file to specifically download updates for 1903 only but while it downloaded. Most of them won't install.
    See above.

    BLaZiNgSPEED said:
    What am I doing wrong? Is my Windows (10 1903 build 18362.1256) final build? Only 5 updates are reflected in my Windows add remove list of installed updates. But no security updates. I would've expected those up to date securities to be installed.
    Similarly, after my Clean Install, I only had a FEW WU's because I used the Final v1909 Build from TechBench.



    I used v1909 [ Heavily Customised Post Install ] because it suits my requirements for that particular computer [ Even though it is NOT supported ANY more ]. I find it extremely stable and do NOT have ANY problems.

    I hope this helps.
      My Computer

  7. Tekkie Boy's Avatar
    Posts : 812
    Win 10
       #7

    Support for Windows 1903 Home/Pro expired in December 2020.

    See also:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...1-0e1cf7a440a9

    And support for version 1909 Home/Pro expired in May 2021 and will no longer receive updates.

    See also:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...5-b6e1ff506d64

    Since the support for version 2004 ends now in December you should make sure that you update to at least version 20h2.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 260
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       #8

    Paul Black said:
    Hello @BLaZiNgSPEED,


    [1] Is there any reason that you want to use v1903 as opposed to v1909?
    [2] TechBench has the Final Build, did you even try it?
    [3] I have just Clean Installed v1909 on a Desktop. It had the option to select UK Keyboard and UK Extended.


    That would be correct as it is ONLY installing relevant WU's upto and including that version. When I manually checked the WU's, it showed the WU to Remove Flash Player, although I downloaded it and ran it seperately [ KB4577586 - Update for the Removal of Adobe Flash Player: 27-Oct-2020 - Win 10, version 1909 ].


    Which WU's specifically are you referring to?



    I can NOT answer that as I did NOT have that problem when I Clean Installed v1909 last week.


    See above.


    Similarly, after my Clean Install, I only had a FEW WU's because I used the Final v1909 Build from TechBench.



    I used v1909 [ Heavily Customised Post Install ] because it suits my requirements for that particular computer [ Even though it is NOT supported ANY more ]. I find it extremely stable and do NOT have ANY problems.

    I hope this helps.
    Hello, yes because 1903 never caused me any problems with WMI errors, etc. Also I'm afraid of Device Management Wireless Application Protocol (WAP) Push message Routing Service re-enabling itself when I tried to disable it as of 20H2. Not sure if it does this on 1909.

    This is part of the telemetry update.

    I found the update to remove Adobe flash, that succeeded.

    But I can't install windows10.0-kb4574727-x64 this will disable RemoteFXvGPUDisablement.exe. Since I can't install this update. Is there a way to manually disable RemoteFXvGPUDisablement.exe from starting?

    I have gone through too much troubleshooting these past few days. I need a break as this is seriously compromising on my mental health.

    I will happily update for future. But for now I just want to get things to end temporarily. As I'm wasting my time all day every day reinstalling windows and going through troubleshooting.
      My Computer

  9. Paul Black's Avatar
    Posts : 15,345
    Win 10 Pro 64-bit v1909 - Build 18363 Custom ISO Install
       #9

    Hello @BLaZiNgSPEED,

    The things that you mentioned [ Push Messages, Telemetry, etc, etc ] can be easily implemented by searching the Tutorials. You can also Turn Off or Disable Services/Scheduled Tasks etc.

    I also STRONGLY suggest that when you get your OS running exactly how you want it, that you create a System Image.

    I hope this helps.
      My Computer

  10. dalchina's Avatar
    Posts : 34,272
    Win 10 Pro (1903) (2nd PC is 21H2)
       #10

    BLaZiNgSPEED said:
    Ok so I am basically stuck. I installed Windows (10 1903 build 18362.1256) as I had that from before UK version. The US version didn't have UK keyboard layout. So I can't find a final build that includes all of the updates.

    I selected the option for Target Feature Update Version 1903. This only installed a few of the updates.

    But unfortunately, while it hides 20H2 and 1909. It doesn't seem to be fully up to date to include all security updates.

    I'm having serious problems such as RemoteFXvGPUDisablement.exe starting on windows start up something that I've never had before! This appears on every PC restart.

    I also don't see Flash Player removed.

    So even though I have specified 1903 it shows Fully Up to Date. But I know I'm not fully up to date. I tried using wsusoffline file to specifically download updates for 1903 only but while it downloaded. Most of them won't install. From this list C:\Users\Rahul\Downloads\wsusoffline120\wsusoffline\client\w100-x64\glb

    What am I doing wrong? Is my Windows (10 1903 build 18362.1256) final build? Only 5 updates are reflected in my Windows add remove list of installed updates. But no security updates. I would've expected those up to date securities to be installed.

    But something seems incomplete here.
    And thank you very much for your reply.
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:41.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums