Possible printer issue with KB5005565

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
  1. Berton's Avatar
    Posts : 11,948
    Win10 Pro Versions 2004 and 2009/20H2, Win10 Pro IP_Dev, Win10 Home 1909
       #111

    Just a comment, I have HP LaserJet Pro M148 and HP OfficeJet Pro 9015 printers attached by Ethernet cable to my Wireless Router through a Gigabit Switch and not having print issues with either Wired or Wireless/Wi-Fi computers running Win10, Win11 and Linux Mint. My physical Network has 5 Wired Desktops [3 Customs, 1 Dell, 1 ASUS] and any Wi-Fi Notebooks [Dell, HP, Toshiba, Acer, Chromebook] as needed.
      My Computers

  2. steve108's Avatar
    Posts : 16,253
    19041.1348 - 2004/20H1 Pro x64
       #112

    Berton said:
    Just a comment, I have HP LaserJet Pro M148 and HP OfficeJet Pro 9015 printers attached by Ethernet cable to my Wireless Router through a Gigabit Switch and not having print issues with either Wired or Wireless/Wi-Fi computers running Win10, Win11 and Linux Mint. My physical Network has 5 Wired Desktops and any Wi-Fi Notebooks as needed.
    And the most important point is there is no printer-sharing server. Every PC sends its print request directly to the printer.
      My Computer

  3. Berton's Avatar
    Posts : 11,948
    Win10 Pro Versions 2004 and 2009/20H2, Win10 Pro IP_Dev, Win10 Home 1909
       #113

    steve108 said:
    And the most important point is there is no printer-sharing server. Every PC sends its print request directly to the printer.
    Exactly. Thanks, I forgot to mention that. I get the Pro printers as they have the requisite RJ-45 Ethernet port for Networking.
      My Computers

  4. steve108's Avatar
    Posts : 16,253
    19041.1348 - 2004/20H1 Pro x64
       #114

    Berton said:
    Exactly. Thanks, I forgot to mention that.


    I'm just trying to stress that the printing problem with the September and October KBs affects shared printers where there's a printer server only because I personally find the terminology to be a bit vague and potentially confusing other people who don't use the shared printer/printer server configuration and get confused reading about this issue as I was initially.
      My Computer

  5. TV2's Avatar
    TV2
    Posts : 1,879
    W10 Pro 20H2
    Thread Starter
       #115

    I thought I was keeping it simple for any non technical folks. Because while you and I know that any PC providing printers to the network is acting like a print server, it could be confused with actual print server hardware.

    This is what I'm thinking of here:
    Print server - Wikipedia

    Which is a little more complex that a PC with a printer attached.
      My Computers

  6. steve108's Avatar
    Posts : 16,253
    19041.1348 - 2004/20H1 Pro x64
       #116

    TV2 said:
    I thought I was keeping it simple for any non technical folks. Because while you and I know that any PC providing printers to the network is acting like a print server, it could be confused with actual print server hardware.

    This is what I'm thinking of here:
    Print server - Wikipedia

    Which is a little more complex that a PC with a printer attached.
    Well when I hear the term "networked printer" or "network printer" isn't that what I have with my home printer attached to my home network and I'm printing to it directly (no print server, no sharing here) from any PC that's on my home network? That's why I thought a clarification would be beneficial.

    I agree that saying "print server" clarifies the situation a lot .
      My Computer


  7. smartcooky's Avatar
    Posts : 170
    Windows 10 Home 32 bit
       #117

    steve108 said:
    If I understand correctly, these working printers are not part of Network-Attached Printer Sharing or
    Locally Attached Printer Sharing. Any PC can print to them independent of any other PC being online as there is no print server involved in printing to these printers.
    Correct, The HP, and the two Canons are connected directly to the network - two via Ethernet, one via Wifi.

    - - - Updated - - -

    steve108 said:
    Well when I hear the term "networked printer" or "network printer" isn't that what I have with my home printer attached to my home network and I'm printing to it directly (no print server, no sharing here) from any PC that's on my home network? That's why I thought a clarification would be beneficial.

    I agree that saying "print server" clarifies the situation a lot .
    As I understand it....

    The grey towers are workstations 1, 2 and 3
    The blue tower is a Print Server
    The green lines are USB connections
    The black lines are Ethernet connections
    Printers A, B and C are Network Printers on a Print Server
    Printer D is a Network Shared Printer on a Host computer
    Printers E and F are Network Attached Printers


    Configurations like Printers A through D are those with update issues
    Configurations like Printers E and F have had no issues
      My Computers

  8. steve108's Avatar
    Posts : 16,253
    19041.1348 - 2004/20H1 Pro x64
       #118

    smartcooky said:
    Correct, The HP, and the two Canons are connected directly to the network - two via Ethernet, one via Wifi.

    - - - Updated - - -


    As I understand it....

    The grey towers are workstations 1, 2 and 3
    The blue tower is a Print Server
    The green lines are USB connections
    The black lines are Ethernet connections
    Printers A, B and C are Network Printers on a Print Server
    Printer D is a Network Shared Printer on a Host computer
    Printers E and F are Network Attached Printers


    Configurations like Printers A through D are those with update issues
    Configurations like Printers E and F have had no issues
    I like the diagram and associated write-up in your post Well done.

    Would you consider workstation 3 to be a print server for shared printer D since workstations 1 and 2 have to go through workstation 3 to print to D?
      My Computer

  9. steve108's Avatar
    Posts : 16,253
    19041.1348 - 2004/20H1 Pro x64
       #119

    Wanted to share this here on printer-central for those not familiar with this terminology like me:

    From Waking from Microsoft's PrintNightmare

    "Point and Print explained

    Point and Print is Microsoft’s terminology for connecting a Windows client PC to a printer centrally managed on a Windows print server without requiring installation media at the client. When adding a printer hosted on a Windows print server (Start — Printers and Scanners — Add Printer) or (Start — Search <enter \\<print server name or IP > — double click printer name) a connection to the central print queue is made. The driver files and configuration of that central print queue are pulled from the print server and installed onto the client PC. A print job created on the client PC is generated using local print driver files and then relayed back to the print server’s central print queue for processing to the printer for output onto paper."
      My Computer

  10. smartcooky's Avatar
    Posts : 170
    Windows 10 Home 32 bit
       #120

    steve108 said:
    I like the diagram and associated write-up in your post Well done.

    Would you consider workstation 3 to be a print server for shared printer D since workstations 1 and 2 have to go through workstation 3 to print to D?
    Not really.

    I have always considered a print server to be a dedicated computer whose sole task is to host printers for all or multiple workstations on the network. In the big lab I used to work in the print server was a "turn-key" machine - you powered it on in the morning with the power switch, and powered it off at the end of the day the same way. It didn't even have a mouse or keyboard attached. It did have a monitor, but it was always turned off. If the IT guy needed to do something to it, he brought along his own mouse and keyboard.

    I would simply, regard Workstation 3 as a workstation hosting a network shared computer.
      My Computers


 
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:52.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums