My windows 10 has an activation expiration date, what to do?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

  1. MJD
    Posts : 29
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #21

    I didn't clean install my system, it was an upgrade. I upgraded on the 29th, and yeah, I guess I could always wait until that date to see what happens. I've been researching stuff for a while, and it appears that my product key is a generic one. I wonder if I should've waited, I probably would have received an activation code or something via email from Microsoft, or it would've probably been activated already and I would've been ok. My C drive doesn't have enough gigs to shrink the space, so that's out of the question, and I do not have a spare hdd lying around. So.. If I roll back, will I still get that Windows 10 taskbar icon?
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 3,264
    Windows 11 Pro 64 bit Version 21H2
       #22

    MJD said:
    I didn't clean install my system, it was an upgrade. I upgraded on the 29th, and yeah, I guess I could always wait until that date to see what happens. I've been researching stuff for a while, and it appears that my product key is a generic one. I wonder if I should've waited, I probably would have received an activation code or something via email from Microsoft, or it would've probably been activated already and I would've been ok. My C drive doesn't have enough gigs to shrink the space, so that's out of the question, and I do not have a spare hdd lying around. So.. If I roll back, will I still get that Windows 10 taskbar icon?
    Not sure what you meant by it appears be a generic key. Did not think you did a clean install either as i said recently. Seemed you activated like many others on 29th or day after, reasons why it is showing this i am not sure. Yes if roll back good possibility from certain windows update that you would get this icon again, just would not reserve it and ways to remove it. I personally would either wait and if it fails then try slgmr command or call MS now or then if it fails to stay activated.
      My Computer


  3. MJD
    Posts : 29
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #23

    That sounds like a plan, jds :)
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 3,264
    Windows 11 Pro 64 bit Version 21H2
       #24

    MJD said:
    That sounds like a plan, jds :)
    Fresh out of ideas,MJD

    This might interest you on rolling back to Windows 7 Rolling Back From Windows 10 To Your Older OS Appears Problematic
    Last edited by jds63; 20 Aug 2015 at 16:44.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 17,246
    Windows 11 Pro
       #25

    MJD said:
    I've been researching stuff for a while, and it appears that my product key is a generic one. I wonder if I should've waited, I probably would have received an activation code or something via email from Microsoft, or it would've probably been activated already and I would've been ok.
    Everybody who upgraded from Windows 7/8/8.1 got the same product key for Windows 10. Windows 10 activates based upon hardware configure stored on Microsoft activation servers, not a product key - unless you purchase a retail version, then you get a unique product key.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 27
    Windows 10, 8.1, 7
       #26

    NavyLCDR said:
    Everybody who upgraded from Windows 7/8/8.1 got the same product key for Windows 10. Windows 10 activates based upon hardware configure stored on Microsoft activation servers, not a product key - unless you purchase a retail version, then you get a unique product key.
    Does anyone have a clear ideal of what hardware this is? What is able to be changed without causing issues for a new clean install? Is it the cpu or motherboard or is it something stupid like the hard drive?
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 17,246
    Windows 11 Pro
       #27

    99taws6 said:
    Does anyone have a clear ideal of what hardware this is? What is able to be changed without causing issues for a new clean install? Is it the cpu or motherboard or is it something stupid like the hard drive?
    Lots of people have already upgraded hard drives with no issues. CPU or Motherboard will cause Windows 10 to deactivate. Memory upgrades are OK as well as video card upgrades. Some people have claimed that LAN MAC addresses are part of the equation so new LAN or WiFi cards might be a problem.
      My Computer


  8. MJD
    Posts : 29
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #28

    Rolled back to Win 7, and it shows as genuine:

    My windows 10 has an activation expiration date, what to do?-wingenuine.png

    So I don't get it. The icon for getting Win 10 is still there, but it doesn't tell me that my upgrade is ready or anything, just the first screen about reserving an upgrade. I think that I might just stick with Windows 7 for awhile longer on my machine.

    My windows 10 has an activation expiration date, what to do?-upgradereserved.png
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 3,264
    Windows 11 Pro 64 bit Version 21H2
       #29

    MJD said:
    Rolled back to Win 7, and it shows as genuine:

    My windows 10 has an activation expiration date, what to do?-wingenuine.png

    So I don't get it. The icon for getting Win 10 is still there, but it doesn't tell me that my upgrade is ready or anything, just the first screen about reserving an upgrade. I think that I might just stick with Windows 7 for awhile longer on my machine.

    My windows 10 has an activation expiration date, what to do?-upgradereserved.png
    Select cancel reservation if do not want it, believe on Eight-Forums and probably Seven Forums there is ways to get rid of icon and files for this as was put back from downloaded windows updates again. Have to look myself for link unless you are registered there too.

    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6...dows-10-a.html
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 3,264
    Windows 11 Pro 64 bit Version 21H2
       #30
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:28.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums