Microsoft says my 10-year-old Windows 7 CD Key is not valid

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

  1. Posts : 17,620
    Win 10 Home 10.0.19044.1706 (x64) [21H2]
       #11

    macnab said:
    So someone who can actually DO something.


    If they are of a mind to, yes.

    If you're on an OEM key... they might not even be able to help.
    But they have the power, if they decide to help.

    TIP: Tell them that the previous motherboard died.

    Keep in mind that they can go back and check previous conversations.
    So, if you told the tech earlier, that you just upgraded... it won't help to say the motherboard died... now.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 97
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       #12

    Ghot said:
    If they are of a mind to, yes.

    If you're on an OEM key... they might not even be able to help.
    But they have the power, if they decide to help.

    TIP: Tell them that the previous motherboard died.

    Keep in mind that they can go back and check previous conversations.
    I went into a shop and said I want Windows 7. And they sold me this box with one round corner, and when you open it there is a DVD inside with a fancy hologram built in, and you open the paperwork and there is a sticker with the product key.

    The PC is an any case home built. Started with Windows 95, then ME, then XP, then 7, then 10.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 2,513
    trying to install win10
       #13

    Ghot said:
    When you replace the motherboard, ONLY a retail key will keep working.
    If you have a problem with MS tech support, tell them you want to talk to an "Advocate".

    I moved one of those system builder things last year. Called the freefone number. The operator activated it straightaway. They only thing I was asked was to confirm I was calling from the UK. That is all. I didn't have to speak to an "advocate"
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 97
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       #14

    Tried the phone here in South Africa. You have to press 1 for activation problems and it tells you to go and sit at your computer and how to type the key in.
    Maybe saying a technical problem will work.
    The support person I spoke to was from please call me from online support.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 3,446
       #15

    macnab said:
    Tried the phone here in South Africa. You have to press 1 for activation problems and it tells you to go and sit at your computer and how to type the key in.
    Maybe saying a technical problem will work.
    The support person I spoke to was from please call me from online support.
    Retail keys have a limit on activations as well - I had a whole bunch of Win 7 keys from MSDN - they all eventually expired activation after all my tests with activation troubleshooting..

    The 'Fake' story from MS support is hogwash - if Windows allows you to install the key it's valid.

    Phone activation is the only alternative if the online activation runs out - phone the UK toll free number.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 17,620
    Win 10 Home 10.0.19044.1706 (x64) [21H2]
       #16

    Superfly said:
    Retail keys have a limit on activations as well - I had a whole bunch of Win 7 keys from MSDN - they all eventually expired activation after all my tests with activation troubleshooting..


    Apparently, they do. I was informed by M$ that I only had one activation left on my retail Windows 7 key. :/
    Seems my key had a total of ten activations.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 12,417
    Win10 Version 21H2 Pro and Home, Win11 Pro
       #17

    macnab said:
    I went into a shop and said I want Windows 7. And they sold me this box with one round corner, and when you open it there is a DVD inside with a fancy hologram built in, and you open the paperwork and there is a sticker with the product key.

    The PC is an any case home built. Started with Windows 95, then ME, then XP, then 7, then 10.
    I was given such a boxed set of Win7 Family Pack for 3 computers several years ago, haven't needed to use it but the key may still work.
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 97
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       #18

    So if Windows keeps crashing and you reinstall, after a few times it says you must pay again because our product is broken and keeps crashing?

    I am hoping that if I can speak to an effective/empowered person a phone call activation will work. I did it when MS said my DVD wasn't bought in South Africa..
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 3,446
       #19

    Well I attempted to replicate this and my Win 7 keys are now working online again

    I have heard before that keys are sent to isolation before being reinstated for online activation - seems it's true - I'm not sure how long it's been that this key has been in isolation (or even used at all TBH) - probably a year or longer.

    @macnab
    I'll PM it to you as I no longer need these. Remember go to change product key in activation settings etc.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 97
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       #20

    Thanks, everyone.

    Booted up this morning and my PC says it is activated thanks to a digital licence linked to my Microsoft account.

    It also says that the last product key I entered cannot be used with this PC.

    Don't ask me how this works, but it does. (It did keep telling me try again later.)
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:32.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums