Windows update to 1909 failing 0x800f0922

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 6
    Windows 10
       #1

    Windows update to 1909 failing 0x800f0922


    Hi everyone, So i've been unable to get past 1903 because the 1909 update keeps failing. I've done a lot of research on this error and it seems 0x800f0922 has to do with the EFI partition or system reserved partition not having 500mb? I was going to try to get into safe mode but my advanced boot menu only has the option UEFI bios. My msconfig also has nothing in the boot tab. I think this issue has to do with the updates. I've transfered over to a different ssd a while ago and I just switched from a 4690k to a 5600x. I've tried deleting all windows update files and trying again and uninstalling a couple and nothing is working. After restarting for the update it gets to 99% then says couldn't complete update reverting changes, then reboots twice and back into windows. I saw another post on here where someone also had nothing in the msconfig boot tab and they did some stuff with diskpart but obviously their partition numbers weren't the same and I couldn't quite figure out how they did it. Here is the post that had that: My MSconfig boot tab is empty, and I can't fix it

    My next attempt was going to be running sysprep to delete all of the old driver stuff but now that i've figured out what this error code is I probably won't do that and now i need help. Thanks!
    I've sent a screenshot of my update history.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Windows update to 1909 failing 0x800f0922-updates.png  
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 22,656
    Win 10 Home ♦♦♦19045.4046 (x64) [22H2]
       #2

    Hello @Skyline3499 , welcome to Ten Forums.


    As a way of beginning... please post a screen shot of Disk Management.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 42,464
    Win 10 Pro (22H2) (2nd PC is 22H2)
       #3

    Please post a screenshot of your partitions using a 3rd party partition manager, e.g. Minitool Partition Wizard, not Disk Management, ensuring all text in all columns is visible.

    Also run Setupdiag.exe (free from MS) and post the outcome.

    Is there a particular reason you are upgrading to 1909, which will reach end of service life around May?

    I was going to try to get into safe mode but my advanced boot menu only has the option UEFI bios.
    This is unclear. Do you perhaps mean your Advanced Startup options?
    If you don't have the usual set of options, your Recovery partition may be missing or not enabled or selected correctly. This may also be related to your upgrade failure.

    Post the result of
    reagentc /info
    from an admin command prompt. It should show it is enabled.
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 41,294
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #4

    Please run:
    Tuneup.bat - Click here to go to the BSOD batch repository to download and run this batch file.

    LOGS.bat - Click here to go to the BSOD batch repository to download and run this batch file.

    Upgrade_failure_info.bat - Click here to go to the BSOD batch repository to download and run this batch file.

    DM and V2: BSOD - Posting Instructions


    For share links please use one drive, drop box, or google drive.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 6
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #5

    dalchina said:
    Please post a screenshot of your partitions using a 3rd party partition manager, e.g. Minitool Partition Wizard, not Disk Management, ensuring all text in all columns is visible.

    Also run Setupdiag.exe (free from MS) and post the outcome.

    Is there a particular reason you are upgrading to 1909, which will reach end of service life around May?



    This is unclear. Do you perhaps mean your Advanced Startup options?
    If you don't have the usual set of options, your Recovery partition may be missing or not enabled or selected correctly. This may also be related to your upgrade failure.

    Post the result of
    reagentc /info
    from an admin command prompt. It should show it is enabled.
    Yes my advanced startup options only has the option to go to my bios. I think it does have something to do with my recovery partition being messed up. Here is a screenshot of my partitions. I just wanted to update because that is what's available and I'd like to use all the new features, and because sometimes when i try to restart it forces updates and I have to wait 10 minutes for it to try again and fail. I have been trying to get to 20h2 but that is failing with the same error, which is why im stuck on 1903. I'll send another response after i've run all the .bat files everyone has sent.

    - - - Updated - - -

    dalchina said:
    Please post a screenshot of your partitions using a 3rd party partition manager, e.g. Minitool Partition Wizard, not Disk Management, ensuring all text in all columns is visible.

    Also run Setupdiag.exe (free from MS) and post the outcome.

    Is there a particular reason you are upgrading to 1909, which will reach end of service life around May?



    This is unclear. Do you perhaps mean your Advanced Startup options?
    If you don't have the usual set of options, your Recovery partition may be missing or not enabled or selected correctly. This may also be related to your upgrade failure.

    Post the result of
    reagentc /info
    from an admin command prompt. It should show it is enabled.
    reagentc /info says disabled when ran through admin command prompt. Here is the output file of setupdiag.exe too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Windows update to 1909 failing 0x800f0922-partition.png  
    Windows update to 1909 failing 0x800f0922 Attached Files
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 42,464
    Win 10 Pro (22H2) (2nd PC is 22H2)
       #6

    Hi, from what I can see it looks like you don't have a Recovery partition at all, and there's no room to create one. Further, C: has a partition after it- a new Recovery partition would typically be created there.

    The problem with your disk partition layout seems to be confirmed by Setupdiag.exe
    [Failed to check whether host has UEFI disk layout.] HRESULT = 0x80070003
    Further, none of your partitions is designated as Active - compare:
    Windows update to 1909 failing 0x800f0922-1.png


    Please confirm yours is meant to be a UEFI installation, and advise what might have led to this.
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 6
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #7

    dalchina said:
    Hi, from what I can see it looks like you don't have a Recovery partition at all, and there's no room to create one. Further, C: has a partition after it- a new Recovery partition would typically be created there.

    The problem with your disk partition layout seems to be confirmed by Setupdiag.exe


    Further, none of your partitions is designated as Active - compare:
    Windows update to 1909 failing 0x800f0922-1.png


    Please confirm yours is meant to be a UEFI installation, and advise what might have led to this.
    This is a UEFI install. It used to be a legacy and i've switched drives multiple times which is probably why everything is messed up. Can i just shrink my c drive a little and make a recovery partition?

    - - - Updated - - -

    zbook said:
    Please run:
    Tuneup.bat - Click here to go to the BSOD batch repository to download and run this batch file.

    LOGS.bat - Click here to go to the BSOD batch repository to download and run this batch file.

    Upgrade_failure_info.bat - Click here to go to the BSOD batch repository to download and run this batch file.

    DM and V2: BSOD - Posting Instructions


    For share links please use one drive, drop box, or google drive.
    Tuneup is still running but here's a dropbox link of the logs
    Dropbox - logs - Simplify your life
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 42,464
    Win 10 Pro (22H2) (2nd PC is 22H2)
       #8

    Thank you very much for your reply.



    People have posted ways of recreating the recovery partition on tenforums- I think I saw a couple of ways posted perhaps 2-3 months ago. I have rebuilt one by hand from scratch as an experiment, but do not recommend that. E.g. discussion:
    How to recreate the Windows recovery partition.
    https://www.tenforums.com/installation-upgrade/171789-help-me-restore-default-files-recovery-partition.html


    The normal recommendation would be to perform an in-place upgrade repair install (of the same build) which keeps all progs and settings.

    You would need to create space- allow, say, 1Gb.

    However you also have the problem that you don't have an active partition on your disk, so you need to deal with that too.

    A screenshot of the reagentc /info command would be useful to show to which partition that is pointing.
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 6
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #9

    dalchina said:
    Thank you very much for your reply.



    People have posted ways of recreating the recovery partition on tenforums- I think I saw a couple of ways posted perhaps 2-3 months ago. I have rebuilt one by hand from scratch as an experiment, but do not recommend that. E.g. discussion:
    How to recreate the Windows recovery partition.
    https://www.tenforums.com/installation-upgrade/171789-help-me-restore-default-files-recovery-partition.html


    The normal recommendation would be to perform an in-place upgrade repair install (of the same build) which keeps all progs and settings.

    You would need to create space- allow, say, 1Gb.

    However you also have the problem that you don't have an active partition on your disk, so you need to deal with that too.

    A screenshot of the reagentc /info command would be useful to show to which partition that is pointing.
    Ok so how should I go about doing all of this? I'll shrink my c drive by 1gb right now so there's room for a recovery partition. I don't think i've tried an in place upgrade and i don't really know what that is but I've tried manually running the 1909 update from a download through microsoft.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 42,464
    Win 10 Pro (22H2) (2nd PC is 22H2)
       #10

    Thank you again.

    a. Google can inform you about general questions such as
    'What is an in-place upgrade repair install'
    and there is a tutorial in the Tutorials section.

    Searching tenforums for
    in-place upgrade repair
    will give you plenty of results.

    Effectively it's the same procedure as a full upgrade (which 1903-> 1909 normally isn't), which in your case would require a 1903 iso.

    However, if you were to use a 1909 iso file, with no other issues, that may have the same effect - of replacing system files and creating a recovery partition. (1903 -> 1909 normally isn't a full upgrade but an enablement package, a bit more like an update).

    b. If you were lucky- you need to use a partition manager to create a suitable empty partition as the recovery partition, and ensure your partition attributes are correctly configured, then attempt the upgrade again. I.e. deal with partition basics, then see what you're left with.

    I.e. there could be other reasons for the upgrade attempt to have failed - hence zbook's logs which I'll leave him to deal with.

    Basically it seems you've created a somewhat unfortunate situation for yourself.
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:25.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums