MS Update Health Tools?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 7,830
    Windows 11 Pro 64 bit
       #1

    MS Update Health Tools?


    Two days ago, Microsoft Health Tools was installed on my desktop PC.

    Does this serve any useful purpose on 20H2 since I'm minded to remove it? I updated to 20H2 yesterday and the MS notes say Only consumer builds of Windows 10, versions 1507, 1511, 1607, 1703, 1709, 1803, 1809, 1903, 1909, and 2004 require this update.

    Attachment 316169
    Attachment 316170
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 22,733
    Win 10 Home ♦♦♦19045.4123 (x64) [22H2]
       #2

    Steve C said:
    Two days ago, Microsoft Health Tools was installed on my desktop PC.

    Does this serve any useful purpose on 20H2 since I'm minded to remove it? I updated to 20H2 yesterday and the MS notes say Only consumer builds of Windows 10, versions 1507, 1511, 1607, 1703, 1709, 1803, 1809, 1903, 1909, and 2004 require this update.

    Attachment 316169
    Attachment 316170


    I don't have that on my comp, and I haven't removed it.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 7,607
    Windows 10 Home 20H2
       #3

    I have never seen it on my 20H2 either. If Windows Update MiniTool finds it, I will hide it immediately.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 7,830
    Windows 11 Pro 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       #4

    Matthew Wai said:
    I have never seen it on my 20H2 either. If Windows Update MiniTool finds it, I will hide it immediately.
    It was installed 2 days ago when the PC was on v 2004. I updated to 20H2 yesterday when I noticed the Health Tools installation. The release notes imply it isn't for 20H2 so I've now uninstalled it anyway.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 22,733
    Win 10 Home ♦♦♦19045.4123 (x64) [22H2]
       #5

    Steve C said:
    It was installed 2 days ago when the PC was on v 2004. I updated to 20H2 yesterday when I noticed the Health Tools installation. The release notes imply it isn't for 20H2 so I've now uninstalled it anyway.


    Maybe that was Microsoft's way of urging you to update to 20H2.
    Like they assumed that because you hadn't updated, that there was a problem with the update software.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 7,830
    Windows 11 Pro 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       #6

    Ghot said:
    Maybe that was Microsoft's way of urging you to update to 20H2.
    Like they assumed that because you hadn't updated, that there was a problem with the update software.
    No, it was my choice to upgrade!
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 22,733
    Win 10 Home ♦♦♦19045.4123 (x64) [22H2]
       #7

    Steve C said:
    No, it was my choice to upgrade!

    I understand that. 20H2 was released in October 2020.
    Maybe MS figured that all computers that hadn't been updated to 20H2 (manually or automatically) by now, had something wrong with Windows Update.
    The Health Tool may have been their way of helping to fix a broken Windows Update.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 7,607
    Windows 10 Home 20H2
       #8

    Steve C said:
    I updated to 20H2 yesterday when I noticed the Health Tools installation.
    If you had not updated Windows, the Tools would have forced the update.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 685
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
       #9

    Ghot said:
    I understand that. 20H2 was released in October 2020.
    Maybe MS figured that all computers that hadn't been updated to 20H2 (manually or automatically) by now, had something wrong with Windows Update.
    The Health Tool may have been their way of helping to fix a broken Windows Update.
    Maybe this? It installed on mine before I had 2004 (which installed on Nov 1st).

    MS Update Health Tools?-image.png
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 31,236
    10 Home x64 (22H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #10

    Steve C said:
    Two days ago, Microsoft Health Tools was installed on my desktop PC.

    Does this serve any useful purpose on 20H2 since I'm minded to remove it? I updated to 20H2 yesterday and the MS notes say Only consumer builds of Windows 10, versions 1507, 1511, 1607, 1703, 1709, 1803, 1809, 1903, 1909, and 2004 require this update....

    This is the new name for KB4023057 Update to Windows 10 for update reliability - Sept. 10

    Microsoft routine re-issue an updated version of this shortly before each new Feature Update. It's purpose is to help free up space on consumer machines if there's not enough for a smooth feature update. It will only get called into action when a Feature Update is about to be downloaded, otherwise it just sits there and does nothing. Even then, if there's plenty of space it does nothing. If you're tight on space it will try various things to make room, including temporarily compressing you user folder, and as a last resort prompt you to delete or uninstall things you no longer need.

    And yes, I have it on a 20H2 machine too, don't forget that at the system file level 20H2 and 2004 are the same thing, it's just the Enablement package that turns on the dormant features.

    "Only consumer builds of Windows 10 ... require this update". - for 'consumer' read Home, none of my Pro machines have got it, only the Home machines.
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:28.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums