1. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 2
    Windows 8.1
       15 Aug 2015 #1

    Can I reuse my Windows 7 Product Key in Windows 10?


    Hi at all! I am using Kubuntu and I must say that it's a very good OS, but I also need Windows because of the lack of programs, such as video editing programs and games. So, I have a question:
    - Can I download the Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft's Site and use my old Windows 7 Product Code? Or I have to install Windows 7 first, then upgrade to 10?
    Thanks in advance for any answer!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2.    15 Aug 2015 #2

    FonzTech said: View Post
    Hi at all! I am using Kubuntu and I must say that it's a very good OS, but I also need Windows because of the lack of programs, such as video editing programs and games. So, I have a question:
    - Can I download the Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft's Site and use my old Windows 7 Product Code? Or I have to install Windows 7 first, then upgrade to 10?
    Thanks in advance for any answer!
    Welcome to the forums Fonz!
    You'll have to upgrade, then Microsoft will make use of your W7 product key for you.
    It'll still be a valid key after that but, that's the only route you'll be able to take to qualify for the free upgrade.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  3. Joined : Oct 2014
    Posts : 839
    Windows 8.1, Win10Pro
       16 Aug 2015 #3

    You have to do the upgrade because MS provides no way to manually enter existing Win7/8/8.1 keys to activate Win10.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4.    16 Aug 2015 #4

    Mark Phelps said: View Post
    You have to do the upgrade because MS provides no way to manually enter existing Win7/8/8.1 keys to activate Win10.
    Hi there

    I think you forgot the important bit too.

    YOU MUST ACTIVATE the W7/W8/W8.1 OS BEFORE upgrading to W10. !! At W10 upgrade DO NOT ENTER ANY PRODUCT KEYS.

    After the initial upgrade you can re-install CLEAN - as before DO NOT ENTER ANY PRODUCT KEYS when installing. Just hit the SKIP or Do this later options if prompted for a product key.

    You can't simply re-install your old OS and then W10 over the top -- You must apply updates to old OS and activate before proceeding.

    Cheers
    jimbo
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  5. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 2
    Windows 8.1
       23 Aug 2015 #5

    Ok, thanks for all! After the upgrading, I will get a new product key or I have to do the upgrade every time I want to do a clean install?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  6. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 52
    win7 and ubuntu
       23 Aug 2015 #6

    kdenlive I thought is a great video editor for linux, having used it quite a bit. I found much of the others very limited or did not work.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  7. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 52
    win7 and ubuntu
       23 Aug 2015 #7

    FonzTech said: View Post
    Ok, thanks for all! After the upgrading, I will get a new product key or I have to do the upgrade every time I want to do a clean install?
    Once you have activated an upgrade, you can clean install and will not get a new key.

    I did a clean install of win 8.1 pro from a downloaded win8.1 pro iso, and it activated with the key I retrieved before the clean install using belarc. Win10 is the same.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  8. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 13
    Windows 10 Home
       23 Aug 2015 #8

    jimbo45 said: View Post
    Hi there

    I think you forgot the important bit too.

    YOU MUST ACTIVATE the W7/W8/W8.1 OS BEFORE upgrading to W10. !! At W10 upgrade DO NOT ENTER ANY PRODUCT KEYS.

    After the initial upgrade you can re-install CLEAN - as before DO NOT ENTER ANY PRODUCT KEYS when installing. Just hit the SKIP or Do this later options if prompted for a product key.

    You can't simply re-install your old OS and then W10 over the top -- You must apply updates to old OS and activate before proceeding.

    Cheers
    jimbo
    I installed Win 7, then activated it. I did not do any updates to 7 before upgrading to 10 and it worked fine.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  9. Joined : Aug 2015
    Posts : 52
    win7 and ubuntu
       23 Aug 2015 #9

    Alley Cat said: View Post
    I installed Win 7, then activated it. I did not do any updates to 7 before upgrading to 10 and it worked fine.
    exactly, no need to install all the updates on the prior os. I experienced the same thing.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


  10. Joined : Jul 2015
    Posts : 6,852
    Windows 10 Pro
       23 Aug 2015 #10

    After you have a successful upgrade to Windows 10 and it is activated, you can do a clean install of Windows 10 on the same computer. As long as you install the same version (Home or Pro). When the clean install asks you for a product key, you click the tiny little text that allows you to skip it. Do NOT enter any product key! If your upgrade was previously activated on the computer, the hardware information will be stored on Microsoft activation servers and the clean install will activate itself based on that stored information without a product key being entered. The product key that Windows 10 gets for itself during the upgrade activation will be the same product key that millions of upgrade users have gotten.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec


 


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Product Key - View in Windows 10
How to View the Product Key in Windows 10 The Windows 10 product key is a sequence of 25 letters and numbers divided into 5 groups of 5 characters each (ex: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX) that is used to activate the 32-bit or 64-bit Windows 10...
Tutorials
Solved Windows 10 won't accept Product Key from Arvato supplied Windows 8 Pro
I purchased the $40 Cdn copy of Windows 8 Pro that Microsoft offered when 8 first was coming out. It was fulfilled by Arvato Digital Services, a company that Microsoft uses for these purposes. That product key activated fine and was upgraded to...
Installation and Setup
Solved Windows 10 not accepting my product key from Windows 7 (0x004f050)
I upgraded my Windows 7 by running the ISO setup from a USB stick. The upgrade was no problem, but after some days using Windows 10 and having some driver issues, I decided to do a clean install. I booted from the USB stick, and when I was asked for...
Windows Updates and Activation
Solved Windows 10 Product Key?
First off, I know I don't need one to upgrade. However, at some future time I may want to wipe my PC and re-install, perhaps with a new motherboard, and I really don't want to go via Windows 7 if possible. Although I can't get my copy to...
Windows Updates and Activation
Windows 10 product key?
I want to clean install Windows 10 on my HTPC and remain an insider. Will it ask for a product key? Can I use my 8.1 product key? I found an ISO that I am going to try so that I don't have to install 8.1 and 1,000 updates.
Installation and Setup
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:24.
Find Us
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 10 Forums