Windows Update wants to download 3rd-party drivers/apps! Argh!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 24
    Windows 10
       #1

    Windows Update wants to download 3rd-party drivers/apps! Argh!


    So as you may see from my other threads, I've been installing Windows 10 Pro x64 v. 2004 from scratch, and have been fighting with Windows wanting to install everything under the sun.

    I finally installed Windows and turned on "metered connections" to stop Windows from downloading whenever it wanted.

    I thought the worst of my troubles were over.

    After finally re-connecting all my peripherals to my newly-built/newly-Window-ized computer, I launched Windows Update. It has offered to download and install:

    • Razer Inc - Camera - 6.2.9200.16473
    • Garmin - Bus Controllers and Ports, Other hardware - Garmin USB GPS
    • Lenovo - Input - USB Enhanced Performance Keyboard

    I have a Razer Kiyo webcam attached to my computer, and 2 Garmin watch charger/sync-cables, and that's my keyboard there.

    I actually already downloaded Lenovo's keyboard driver, so I don't know why Windows wants to install another one.

    I don't need any special drivers or apps for using the Garmin watches, nor the Razer camera... but Windows wants to force me to install them.

    I've selected "No" to the "automatically download manufacturers' apps and custom icons", and the camera and the watches aren't even connected anymore... yet Windows wants to make me download drivers and apps for them.

    Anyone have this happen to them? Any way I can make it stop? Anyway I can permanently stop Windows from offering to download drivers and apps for 3rd party hardware? Because it doesn't seem to be honoring that setting.

    - Tim
      My Computer

  2. AddRAM's Avatar
    Posts : 4,434
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #2
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 24
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #3

    UPDATE: Although I had turned off driver updates via the user setting, it wasn't taking affect. I looked in the matching Group Policies, and they weren't set for some reason (perhaps selecting the user setting only does a registry modification). Anyway, once I turned off BOTH the user setting AND set the Group Policy options correctly, it's no longer asking if I want to install third party drivers and apps. Hopefully, it will STAY that way.

    - - - Updated - - -

    I tried a bunch of these things yesterday, and none of them stopped the auto-downloading, unfortunately. I don't know why.

    But it seems almost nobody here uses v. 2004, and that's what I'm using; it looks like a bunch the things people suggest here to use, no longer work in v. 2004. In any case, as I mention elsewhere, turning it off BOTH in Group Policy AND via the user setting, SEEMS to have stopped it... I'm crossing my fingers.

    Thanks for your suggestion, in any case!
      My Computer

  4. AddRAM's Avatar
    Posts : 4,434
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #4

    I`m using 1909 on the X299, where is the setting in Group Policy Editor, can you just throw up a snip for me ?

    I`m still testing 2004 on the Z170, so far so good, nearly time to image 2004 onto the 860 Pro.
      My Computers

  5. Ghot's Avatar
    Posts : 14,216
    Win 10 Home 10.0.19044.1387 (x64) [21H2]
       #5

    tbessie said:
    UPDATE: Although I had turned off driver updates via the user setting, it wasn't taking affect. I looked in the matching Group Policies, and they weren't set for some reason (perhaps selecting the user setting only does a registry modification). Anyway, once I turned off BOTH the user setting AND set the Group Policy options correctly, it's no longer asking if I want to install third party drivers and apps. Hopefully, it will STAY that way.

    - - - Updated - - -



    I tried a bunch of these things yesterday, and none of them stopped the auto-downloading, unfortunately. I don't know why.

    But it seems almost nobody here uses v. 2004, and that's what I'm using; it looks like a bunch the things people suggest here to use, no longer work in v. 2004. In any case, as I mention elsewhere, turning it off BOTH in Group Policy AND via the user setting, SEEMS to have stopped it... I'm crossing my fingers.

    Thanks for your suggestion, in any case!



    I'm on Windows 10 Home v2004. I use WAU Manager and it's working fine for me. Mine is set up like this...


    Windows Update wants to download 3rd-party drivers/apps! Argh!-image1.png
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 24
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #6

    Ghot said:
    I'm on Windows 10 Home v2004. I use WAU Manager and it's working fine for me. Mine is set up like this...
    I dunno why, but when I tried this with that same setup, it didn't work for me. I don't want to risk it not working again, so I'll stick with what I've got so far and hope that it continues to do what I want.

    Thanks though!

    - Tim
      My Computer


  7. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    Posts : 6,450
    Windows 10 Home 20H2
       #7

    tbessie said:
    turned on "metered connections"
    Did you do so via a Registry hack? If not, it does not work.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 24
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #8

    Matthew Wai said:
    Did you do so via a Registry hack? If not, it does not work.
    I didn't, I just selected both of my NIC's and marked them "metered connections". After that, auto updates stopped happening. Dunno why I didn't have to do a registry hack, if you say it has to. What registry entries are supposed to be affected by that change?

    - Tim
      My Computer

  9. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    Posts : 6,450
    Windows 10 Home 20H2
       #9

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\DefaultMediaCost

    The data "0x00000002 (2)" denotes metered connection. Check it out.




      My Computer

  10. dalchina's Avatar
    Posts : 33,776
    Win 10 Pro (1903) (2nd PC is 21H2)
       #10

    Enable or Disable Driver Updates in Windows Update in Windows 10
    Prevent Windows Update from Updating Specific Device Driver
    Turn On or Off Device Driver Automatic Installation in Windows 10

    Bear in mind some 3rd party items have their own independent scan for updates.

    More: Windows Update should now be presenting driver updates as Optional - i.e. at user discretion.
    This also means that scanning for updated drivers in Device Manager closes with no outcome.

    Update: Microsoft updates Driver Shiproom Schedule for 2020 in Windows 10

    UPDATE 2/19/2020: Windows 10 driver updates will now be manual Optional Updates

    Beginning with the August 2020 security update for Windows 10, when optional updates are detected by your device, they will be displayed on a new page under Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > View optional updates. That means you no longer need to utilize Device Manager to search for updated drivers for specific devices.
      My Computers


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:26.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums