Windows 10: Unable to install KB3081438

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    15 Aug 2015 #11

    LyleC said: View Post
    Me neither is an update from Win 8. I have been able to get the update installed. It required me to go in and edit my registry. There was a rogue key left from Nvidia.
    .
    Which key you change/delete in registry?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  2.    16 Aug 2015 #12

    jtjt00 said: View Post
    .
    Which key you change/delete in registry?
    Following is the key:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

    I then looked at each profile ID and found the one with Profile Image Path of C:\Users\UpdatusUser

    This is the key I deleted. It is apparently something to do with Nvidia. A link to the instructions are below.

    http://www.infoworld.com/article/2960528/patch-management/windows-10-patch-kb-3081424-can-crash-fail-to-install.html



      My ComputerSystem Spec

  3.    16 Aug 2015 #13

    I'm still unable to install both kb3081424 (from 2 weeks ago) and kb3081438. Is there any reason to stick with Windows 10 right now if I can't even perform updates? Apparently Microsoft hasn't even mentioned a fix for this, much less even mentioned the issue.

    The registry "fix" wouldn't apply to me since I'm the only account that's ever been on the machine? Is that correct?

    Roll back to Windows 8.1 at this point?
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 11,235
    W10Prox64
       16 Aug 2015 #14

    Jotnar said: View Post
    I'm still unable to install both kb3081424 (from 2 weeks ago) and kb3081438. Is there any reason to stick with Windows 10 right now if I can't even perform updates? Apparently Microsoft hasn't even mentioned a fix for this, much less even mentioned the issue.

    The registry "fix" wouldn't apply to me since I'm the only account that's ever been on the machine? Is that correct?

    Roll back to Windows 8.1 at this point?
    KB3081438 is cumulative, so it includes everything in KB3081424. If you can get KB3081438 on, you're good.

    Perhaps if you started your own thread, and laid out your system specs and what you've tried so far, some of the experts here could work on your particular system, and try to get this update installed for you?
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    16 Aug 2015 #15

    simrick said: View Post
    KB3081438 is cumulative, so it includes everything in KB3081424. If you can get KB3081438 on, you're good.

    Perhaps if you started your own thread, and laid out your system specs and what you've tried so far, some of the experts here could work on your particular system, and try to get this update installed for you?
    Thanks for that info Simrick. I actually found that a Microsoft rep said that update "KB3081440" is going to roll out, which is supposed to fix the issue. It was posted 4 days ago, and I believe it is available through the Update Catalogue.

    We have released a fix for this issue through Windows Update in KB3081440. This update repairs a problem involving user profiles that may have prevented KB3801424 from installing on some systems. This fix will install automatically when updates are scheduled to run. If you were experiencing this issue, please check to make sure you’ve installed recent updates. If you’re still experiencing problems installing Cumulative Update KB3081424 after installing this fix, please post this information to the forums.
    Cumulative Update for Windows 10 fails to install - Microsoft Community

    I'm assuming it'll be available through the official Windows Update very soon, so I guess I'll hold out. I believe you can only access the catalogue through IE, and I read about some issues with users trying to do so.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  6.    16 Aug 2015 #16

    Jotnar said: View Post
    I'm still unable to install both kb3081424 (from 2 weeks ago) and kb3081438. Is there any reason to stick with Windows 10 right now if I can't even perform updates? Apparently Microsoft hasn't even mentioned a fix for this, much less even mentioned the issue.

    The registry "fix" wouldn't apply to me since I'm the only account that's ever been on the machine? Is that correct?

    Roll back to Windows 8.1 at this point?
    .
    Why don't you manually download KB3081438 and install? The link is post on page 1 of this thread.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    16 Aug 2015 #17

    jtjt00 said: View Post
    .
    Why don't you manually download KB3081438 and install? The link is post on page 1 of this thread.
    Tried it and still goes into reboot loop, uninstalling the update.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  8. Posts : 11,235
    W10Prox64
       16 Aug 2015 #18

    Jotnar said: View Post
    Thanks for that info Simrick. I actually found that a Microsoft rep said that update "KB3081440" is going to roll out, which is supposed to fix the issue. It was posted 4 days ago, and I believe it is available through the Update Catalogue.



    Cumulative Update for Windows 10 fails to install - Microsoft Community

    I'm assuming it'll be available through the official Windows Update very soon, so I guess I'll hold out. I believe you can only access the catalogue through IE, and I read about some issues with users trying to do so.
    Oh good. I hope this sorts things out for you!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    16 Aug 2015 #19

    simrick said: View Post
    Oh good. I hope this sorts things out for you!
    Thanks very much!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  10. Posts : 16
    Windows 10 RTM/Build 10240.16384
       19 Aug 2015 #20

    "...yeah, me, too."


    I am unable to install KB3081438. It goes into the install/reboot/fail/uninstall/download/install/reboot/fail/eat/lather/ rinse/repeat loop.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yeah, this is great.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	32445

    Attached is the Windows Update log (via powershell's get-windowsupdatelog command). I have not one red bloody clue as to what's going wrong -- the log's just a bit thick for me.
    Unable to install KB3081438 Attached Files
    Last edited by Greywolf; 19 Aug 2015 at 01:31.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Related Threads
Unable to install KB3081436 in Windows Updates and Activation
I have one laptop updated from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. This laptop is having issue installing KB3081436 with error code 0x8020002b. Anyway link to manual download this KB3081436 patch?
Little bit of a problem here .......... I had downloaded some pretty nice .deskthemepacks from the Microsoft site and tried to install them by double clicking on them but when I do nothing happens? tried to do the same with some of the...
Solved Unable to install windows 10 in Installation and Upgrade
Hi I get the error message: "Windows 10 couldn't be installed - We couldn't update the system reserved partition". Anyone know how to solve this? Thanks.
Hello, I have 2 drives in my Windows 10 machine. Windows sits on an SSD, and I've got a much larger rotational drive. Generally speaking, Windows recognizes the rotational drive just fine, and I've moved some default folders over to it. It...
Solved Unable to boot into the install DVD in Installation and Upgrade
I have a new PC and want to install Win 10 on it to see how it behaves. I made a DVD from the iso file as instructed in the MS page http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows7/burn-a-cd-or-dvd-from-an-iso-file and set the PC to boot from optical...
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:53.
Find Us