Windows 10 update options

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 25,076
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #11

    Steven Campoli said:
    Thanks again man had a long day today , really appreciate it
    Yes, I've had some of those too. At least we got there in the end. I use that option on all my Pro machines, you get a notification popping up to say 'You need some updates'.

    Windows 10 update options-image.png
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 1,232
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    Thread Starter
       #12

    Bree said:
    Yes, I've had some of those too. At least we got there in the end. I use that option on all my Pro machines, you get a notification popping up to say 'You need some updates'.

    Windows 10 update options-image.png
    Awesome so I don’t have to pause updates anymore lol! On the insider builds the .net update comes back
    So with this option I can choose when to install or download a Update. Actually can I choose individually which ones to install ? Let say theirs 2 updates, can I choose one at a time ?
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 25,076
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #13

    Steven Campoli said:
    Awesome so I don’t have to pause updates anymore lol! On the insider builds the .net update comes back
    So with this option I can choose when to install or download a Update. Actually can I choose individually which ones to install ? Let say theirs 2 updates, can I choose one at a time ?

    Unfortunately no, your only choice it to download all available updates, or to wait and download them later.

    Windows 10 update options-notify-download.png

    For an individual update you want to block, you could use Microsoft's wushowhide.diagcab tool to hide it...

    Hide or Show Windows Updates in Windows 10


    ...but for the full control that you ask for you'd need 3rd-party help, such as...

    OPTION SEVEN - To Enable or Disable Automatic Updates using WAU Manager
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 1,232
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    Thread Starter
       #14

    Thank you so much, this is very helpful, awesome thanks

    - - - Updated - - -

    Bree said:
    Unfortunately no, your only choice it to download all available updates, or to wait and download them later.

    Windows 10 update options-notify-download.png

    For an individual update you want to block, you could use Microsoft's wushowhide.diagcab tool to hide it...

    Hide or Show Windows Updates in Windows 10


    ...but for the full control that you ask for you'd need 3rd-party help, such as...

    OPTION SEVEN - To Enable or Disable Automatic Updates using WAU Manager
    Last question! Does it check for updates everyday? Can I always check for updates and install when I want?
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 25,076
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #15

    Steven Campoli said:
    Last question! Does it check for updates everyday? Can I always check for updates and install when I want?

    If you click 'Check for updates' it is assumed you want to download and install them straight away so you won't be offered a choice.

    Windows Update automatically checks for updates approximately once a day, only the automatic check notifies you that updates are waiting to download. To be precise, by default it checks every 22 hours, minus a random factor to make sure not all machines will hammer the update servers at the same time. This time can be changed from the default if you wish to check more frequently, there's another group policy for this.

    Automatic Updates detection frequency

    Specifies the hours that Windows will use to determine how long to wait before checking for available updates. The exact wait time is determined by using the hours specified here minus zero to twenty percent of the hours specified. For example, if this policy is used to specify a 20-hour detection frequency, then all clients to which this policy is applied will check for updates anywhere between 16 to 20 hours.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...tion-frequency
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 61,919
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
       #16

    In addition, option 7 in the same tutorial below will allow you to disable automatic updates to be able to selectively download and install updates you want.

    Enable or Disable Windows Update Automatic Updates in Windows 10
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 1,232
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    Thread Starter
       #17

    Brink said:
    In addition, option 7 in the same tutorial below will allow you to disable automatic updates to be able to selectively download and install updates you want.

    Enable or Disable Windows Update Automatic Updates in Windows 10
    That’s the option with the third party software
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 61,919
    64-bit Windows 11 Pro for Workstations
       #18

    Steven Campoli said:
    That’s the option with the third party software
    It is, but it is the most common option for what you want.
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 1,232
    Windows 10 Pro x64
    Thread Starter
       #19

    Brink said:
    It is, but it is the most common option for what you want.
    Thanks to all !!!
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 25,076
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #20

    Steven Campoli said:
    That’s the option with the third party software
    Yes, it is, but others have had no issues using it. And Brink wouldn't include it in the tutorial if it were 'suspect'. But if you want to stick with purely Microsoft solutions, then group policies and hiding updates are your only options.
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:49.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums