2004 update and metered network connection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 500
    windows 10 (x64) Home 20H2 19042.844
       #1

    2004 update and metered network connection


    Previously while trying to update, it used to show how much download needed in MBs for update. Now how much needed is not shown. Only waits for permission to download in metered connection. Any help to know how much needed to download?
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 35,611
    Win 10 Pro (21H2) (2nd PC is 21H2)
       #2

    The only way I know of would be to use a 3rd party tool - and indeed if you are using a limited internet connection, using that, rather than Windows Update or allowing updates in the background may be more appropriate.

    How to see size of Windows 10 updates
    2004 update and metered network connection-1.png

    Updates are delivered intelligently depending on the current build of your PC- that is, the size of a given update may not be the same from one PC to another.

    The maximum possible size of an update can be seen in the News section in the thread per update per build. Expect what you actually receive to be much smaller. E.g.
    2004 update and metered network connection-1.png


    You might also be aware of these settings:
    2004 update and metered network connection-1.png
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 500
    windows 10 (x64) Home 20H2 19042.844
    Thread Starter
       #3

    dalchina said:
    The only way I know of would be to use a 3rd party tool - and indeed if you are using a limited internet connection, using that, rather than Windows Update or allowing updates in the background may be more appropriate.

    How to see size of Windows 10 updates
    2004 update and metered network connection-1.png

    Updates are delivered intelligently depending on the current build of your PC- that is, the size of a given update may not be the same from one PC to another.

    The maximum possible size of an update can be seen in the News section in the thread per update per build. Expect what you actually receive to be much smaller. E.g.
    2004 update and metered network connection-1.png


    You might also be aware of these settings:
    2004 update and metered network connection-1.png
    Thanks for the response. I knew the last on which you have mentioned. I am having wumt 2016 files. but did not use it as win update was showing the size for metered connection. As now it is not there, I have to use wumt.
    I have already win10 2004 19041.329. But unfortunately wumt is showing many of that not shown by Win update. Further it shows 1903 update also.as below.
    2004 update and metered network connection-wumt.png
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 11,671
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 21H2 Build 19044.1776
       #4

    The Office 365 updates are additonal to your WU list because recent Office versions do not use Windows update but their own update mechanism. This seems like a backward step to me.
    I would have thought your Office 2010 updates would have been shown by WU because I thought Office 2010 used WU. Perhaps you should check your Settings, Update, Advanced options, Receive updates for other MS products

    I can't see the "Further it shows 1903 update also.as below." you referred to. There is a section for version 1903 and later - perhaps you missed the and later.

    Denis
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 35,611
    Win 10 Pro (21H2) (2nd PC is 21H2)
       #5

    You might prefer WUMgr
    2004 update and metered network connection-1.png
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 1,806
    Windows 10 Pro 21H1 19043.1348
       #6

    One step forward, Two steps back for MS


    I may be mistaken but when I started using Office 365 last year I was certain it informed me about the size of impending updates. I have my connections set to metered as my wireless internet is slow and costly.

    Close to the end of a billing cycle it sometimes makes more sense to use a hotspot from my cell phone that has 5GB/month (+5GB more due the Covid-19 perk).

    MS seems to have removed that update file size info, now all I see is updates available. They even acknowledge my metered connections. Brainiacs strike again. duh!



    2004 update and metered network connection-0621-msoffice365-update.jpg

    2004 update and metered network connection-0621b-msoffice365-update.jpg
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 500
    windows 10 (x64) Home 20H2 19042.844
    Thread Starter
       #7

    Try3 said:
    The Office 365 updates are additonal to your WU list because recent Office versions do not use Windows update but their own update mechanism. This seems like a backward step to me.
    I would have thought your Office 2010 updates would have been shown by WU because I thought Office 2010 used WU. Perhaps you should check your Settings, Update, Advanced options, Receive updates for other MS products

    I can't see the "Further it shows 1903 update also.as below." you referred to. There is a section for version 1903 and later - perhaps you missed the and later.

    Denis
    Thanks.
    I have office 2019, not 2010. But update shows for 2010.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 500
    windows 10 (x64) Home 20H2 19042.844
    Thread Starter
       #8

    dalchina said:
    You might prefer WUMgr
    2004 update and metered network connection-1.png
    WUMgr shows more data than required for update in case of windows defender update.
    2004 update and metered network connection-wumgr.png
    Last edited by lvgandhi; 24 Jun 2020 at 08:45.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 35,611
    Win 10 Pro (21H2) (2nd PC is 21H2)
       #9

    Again, thank you for your reply.

    It seems neither of those satisfy your particular requirements then. I leave it with you to find something that does.
      My Computers


  10. Posts : 11,671
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 21H2 Build 19044.1776
       #10

    lvgandhi said:
    WUMgr shows more data than required for update in case of windows defender update.
    I have both WUMT & WUMgr and I do not know what you can possibly be referring to. It always seems to me that WUMT & WUMgr show the same info & the same updates.

    Denis
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:57.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums