Hot to stop Windows feature updates?


  1. Posts : 18
    Windows 10
       #1

    Hot to stop Windows feature updates?


    Hello,

    I'm currently running Windows Home 1909 and I would like to keep it that way for the time being.

    Windows 2004 breaks Intel Optane Memory and has several other compatibility issues.

    How can I stop Windows from autodownloading and installing the next feature updates (aka Windows builds)?

    I'm OK with Quality Updates, but I would like to decide myself when to install any future Windows Upgrades.

    Also, if anyone has a way of stopping Windows Update from auto installing device drivers, that would be absolutely amazing.

    Thanks in advance.
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 25,093
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #2

    LongRangeSkeet said:
    I'm currently running Windows Home 1909 and I would like to keep it that way for the time being.

    ....How can I stop Windows from autodownloading and installing the next feature updates (aka Windows builds)?

    Welcome to Ten Forums.

    Windows will not automatically download a feature update, not even in Home. The Feature Update is optional and will only download if you ask it to by clicking 'Download and install'.


    Hot to stop Windows feature updates?-2004-feature-update-optional.png

    You can ignore the offer for almost as long as you want. It will eventually download automatically, but only when your 1909 reaches end of support. That's on May 11, 2021 for 1909.
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 47
    Win 10 Pro 64b 21H2 19044.1806
       #3

    So what if you still want to keep at 1909 when it reaches end-of-support (hey, I'm still on Win7)?
    Anyway to disable it then, or will MicroSoft just stuff it down your throat anyway?
    I assume you can disable all updates (for like 7 days at a time...) but that will do all updates, correct?
    Anyway to tell Win10 to ignore a feature update (like what is possible in Win7 when you 'hide' it).
    So...?
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 25,093
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #4

    AK6DN said:
    So what if you still want to keep at 1909 when it reaches end-of-support (hey, I'm still on Win7)?
    Anyway to disable it then, or will MicroSoft just stuff it down your throat anyway?
    I assume you can disable all updates (for like 7 days at a time...) but that will do all updates, correct?
    Anyway to tell Win10 to ignore a feature update (like what is possible in Win7 when you 'hide' it).
    So...?
    Your specs say you have Pro. In Pro you can defer a feature update for up to 365 days.

    Windows Update - Defer Feature and Quality Updates in Windows 10

    If you really want to stop all updates there are several options in this tutorial. Option Seven seems to be the most popular choice...

    Enable or Disable Windows Update Automatic Updates in Windows 10
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 8,700
    Mac OS Catalina
       #5

    Until Intel fixes the RST and Pinning problem, they will be way behind the actual release to the consumer, even though Intel has had montsh and years to fix this.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 18
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #6

    bro67 said:
    Until Intel fixes the RST and Pinning problem, they will be way behind the actual release to the consumer, even though Intel has had montsh and years to fix this.
    Intel Optane is broken with 2004 on one of my machines. It BSODs at boot. Also, for some reason Windows 2004 likes to put the recovery partition at the end of the drive and Optane and RST installers complain that they need at least 5mb of empty space at the end of the drive for the software to even install.

    Even though I deleted the partition and was finally able to load the Optane drivers and software, Windows would still go into a boot loop with a BSOD.

    Eventually I had to do a clean install back to 1909. No issues so far, except that I want to keep it on 1909, at least for the time being.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Bree said:
    Your specs say you have Pro. In Pro you can defer a feature update for up to 365 days.

    Windows Update - Defer Feature and Quality Updates in Windows 10

    If you really want to stop all updates there are several options in this tutorial. Option Seven seems to be the most popular choice...

    Enable or Disable Windows Update Automatic Updates in Windows 10
    Would it still work for Windows 10 Home like it would for Pro if I set DeferFeatureUpdatesPeriodInDays to 365 in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settings inside the registry?

    Thanks
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 7,484
    Windows 10 Home 20H2
       #7

    The advertisement posted by me in your another thread works on Windows 10 Home.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 25,093
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #8

    LongRangeSkeet said:
    Would it still work for Windows 10 Home like it would for Pro if I set DeferFeatureUpdatesPeriodInDays to 365 in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsUpdate\UX\Settings inside the registry?
    That's unclear. There are some group policies that MS have specifically disabled in Home, you can set them in the registry but Home will ignore them.

    It was reported some few build ago that this one worked in Home, but that may have changed in subsequent builds.
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 7,484
    Windows 10 Home 20H2
       #9

    The Registry hack done by my script has stopped a feature update in the recent case below:
    On Pausing Updates - and v2004 update
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 7,484
    Windows 10 Home 20H2
       #10

    I had been offered 1909 for months, but it was never downloaded.
    Yesterday, I was offered 2004, which will not be downloaded either.

    Hot to stop Windows feature updates?-feature-update-windows-10-version-2004.jpg

    Hot to stop Windows feature updates?-2019-12-9-feature-update.jpg
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:05.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums