Updated to v. 2004 and now "Choose when updates..." option is missing


  1. Posts : 116
    Win 10 Pro 64-bit
       #1

    Updated to v. 2004 and now "Choose when updates..." option is missing


    I just updated from version 1909 to version 2004 last night. This morning I looked at Settings>Update & Security>Windows Update>Advanced options, and found that the "Choose when updates are installed" option is now missing.

    Was this change intentional, or is it a bug?

    I will mention, FWIW, that in order to gain access to the version 2004 update last night, I changed the "feature update" setting from 365 days, which I had chosen months ago, to 0 days. I discovered the problem with the missing option this morning when I went to the "Advanced options" settings with the intention of resetting the "feature update" setting to 180 days.
      My Computers


  2. Posts : 56,103
    Multi-boot Windows 10/11 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #2

    devnull said:
    I just updated from version 1909 to version 2004 last night. This morning I looked at Settings>Update & Security>Windows Update>Advanced options, and found that the "Choose when updates are installed" option is now missing.

    Was this change intentional, or is it a bug?

    I will mention, FWIW, that in order to gain access to the version 2004 update last night, I changed the "feature update" setting from 365 days, which I had chosen months ago, to 0 days. I discovered the problem with the missing option this morning when I went to the "Advanced options" settings with the intention of resetting the "feature update" setting to 180 days.
    I believe others have found that option missing also. For now, we believe it's a bug but MS hasn't said anything. Do you have the option to defer for 7 days?
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 25,054
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #3

    devnull said:
    Was this change intentional, or is it a bug?.


    That's unclear, but it has been noted already, both in an upgrade and a clean install of Pro v2004.

    Windows Update - Defer Feature and Quality Updates in Windows 10 post #73
      My Computers


  4. Posts : 25,054
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #4

    f14tomcat said:
    ... Do you have the option to defer for 7 days?
    Should do, that option is available for both Home and Pro and is still there in all my 2004 machines.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 116
    Win 10 Pro 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       #5

    f14tomcat said:
    I believe others have found that option missing also. For now, we believe it's a bug but MS hasn't said anything. Do you have the option to defer for 7 days?
    Yes, the "Pause updates" option, which is 7 days by default, is still there, and allows me to pause updates for 35 days, as was the case with version 1909.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 56,103
    Multi-boot Windows 10/11 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #6

    devnull said:
    Yes, the "Pause updates" option, which is 7 days by default, is still there, and allows me to pause updates for 35 days, as was the case with version 1909.
    Good. Something is consistent, at least. Wrong, but consistent.
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 116
    Win 10 Pro 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       #7

    Bree said:
    That's unclear, but it has been noted already, both in an upgrade and a clean install of Pro v2004.
    Windows Update - Defer Feature and Quality Updates in Windows 10 post #73
    Thanks for the link. I'd not seen that. Some good info on that page (though the issue is still _not_ resolved).
    Last edited by devnull; 08 Jun 2020 at 12:20.
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 25,054
    10 Home x64 (21H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #8

    devnull said:
    Thanks for the link. I'd not seen that. Some good info on that page (though the issue is still _not_ resolved).

    There is still a group policy that can defer updates. That at least does still work. I tested that today now we have had a CU for 2004.

    The CU didn't restore the missing settings though.
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 116
    Win 10 Pro 64-bit
    Thread Starter
       #9

    Bree said:
    There is still a group policy that can defer updates. That at least does still work. I tested that today now we have had a CU for 2004.
    The CU didn't restore the missing settings though.
    I'll do that. Thank you! Still hoping to see those "Choose when updates..." options return, though.
    Last edited by devnull; 09 Jun 2020 at 22:05.
      My Computers


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:03.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums