Windows 10: Restart to install updates


  1. Posts : 15
    Windows 10 64-Bit
       11 Aug 2015 #1

    Restart to install updates


    Hi all,
    I wanted to clarify whether updates that require a restart to install, only install if you actually click 'restart' or do they install if you normally shutdown the computer and then turn it on again later?
    I'm sure you could do it that way on Windows 7. Its a pain having to restart my laptop every time, I'd rather shut down normally at the end of the day once i'm done with it and then following day upon booting up, updates install.
    Best way I could put it lol!
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  2. Posts : 15
    Windows 10/Windows 8.1
       12 Aug 2015 #2

    Well if you shut down and updates are planned it will update. If that is what you mean.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  3. Posts : 15
    Windows 10 64-Bit
    Thread Starter
       16 Aug 2015 #3

    Hushify said: View Post
    Well if you shut down and updates are planned it will update. If that is what you mean.
    What I mean is that I have to specifically press 'restart' on Windows for updates to install. If I click 'shutdown' and then manually power up again, updates don't install.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  4. Posts : 15
    Windows 10 64-Bit
    Thread Starter
       24 Aug 2015 #4

    Does this occur for anybody else? I know its a small issue but its really annoying me!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  5.    24 Aug 2015 #5

    You can prove it to yourself. Shutdown, Power Up and you will see on the screen "Configuring Windows XX%. Do not turn off your computer." The same message and action you would get from "Restart". Windows doesn't care which way you choose.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


  6. Posts : 15
    Windows 10 64-Bit
    Thread Starter
       27 Aug 2015 #6

    cbwilsha said: View Post
    You can prove it to yourself. Shutdown, Power Up and you will see on the screen "Configuring Windows XX%. Do not turn off your computer." The same message and action you would get from "Restart". Windows doesn't care which way you choose.
    This does not occur for me for some reason. I have to always do a ''Restart'' to initiate Update installation!
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  7.    13 Sep 2015 #7

    The same thing happens to me. I can shutdown or restart and updates are not applied. They are only applied if I click the "Restart now" button from the Windows Update window.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  8.    14 Sep 2015 #8

    shotta287 said: View Post
    I wanted to clarify whether updates that require a restart to install, only install if you actually click 'restart' or do they install if you normally shutdown the computer and then turn it on again later?
    I'm sure you could do it that way on Windows 7.
    I'm having the same problem, too. Updates won't install during shut down. They install fine with a reboot. I've not found a definitive answer yet, even from Microsoft, about how the process is intended to work. Also, automatic reboot-based installs won't happen if the computer is turned off at the scheduled time and Windows 10 apparently doesn't catch up later once the computer is restarted. The Windows Update troubleshooter says everything is fine. I manage a number of PCs and don't want to go around to manually reboot them with each Microsoft update. We don't typically reboot, we shut down one day and start up the next.
      My ComputerSystem Spec

  9.    15 Sep 2015 #9

    bluffwood said: View Post
    I'm having the same problem, too. Updates won't install during shut down. They install fine with a reboot. I've not found a definitive answer yet, even from Microsoft, about how the process is intended to work. Also, automatic reboot-based installs won't happen if the computer is turned off at the scheduled time and Windows 10 apparently doesn't catch up later once the computer is restarted. The Windows Update troubleshooter says everything is fine. I manage a number of PCs and don't want to go around to manually reboot them with each Microsoft update. We don't typically reboot, we shut down one day and start up the next.
    Question/problem resolved!

    It turns out that Windows updates are NOT installed during shutdown if the "Fast Startup" power button option is turned on. When turned off, updates are installed during shutdown just like Windows 7. Too bad this information seems to be *very* difficult to find.

    See Control Panel > Power Options > "Choose what the power button does" > "Shutdown settings" section.
      My ComputerSystem Spec


 

Related Threads
Install stuck at searching for updates in Installation and Upgrade
Installing Windows 10 directly on this pc from media creation tool. When it gets to 'searching for updates' it gets stuck a 0%. Any thoughts? Thanks!!
Install updates problem in Windows Updates and Activation
I've got Windows 10. For awhile I had problems downloading updates. I solved that problem by doing a reset. But now it won't install all updates. I get a message that it couldn't install some updates and had a button to Retry. But clicking on the...
Solved How To Choose Individual Updates To Install in Windows Updates and Activation
Maybe I'm missing something obvious in Win 10. In the following screenshot, I only want to install the Win Defender update, and not the HP driver update. In fact, I want to ignore that update. With previous versions of Windows I was able to do that....
How to install failed updates? in Windows Updates and Activation
Hi, I have win 10 build 10240 and I noticed that I have two failed updates and one successful one: 25054 How do I get the system to reinstall the failed updates? I pressed the "Check for updates" button, but it tells me my system is up to...
Clean install of W10 and many updates are showing as 'Requiring a restart to finish installing'. Despite several restarts and full shut downs this situation remains. Windows update itself says it is up to date.
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:50.
Find Us