Help with updates 1903 & 1909 - major issues

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. dalchina's Avatar
    Posts : 29,980
    Win 10 Pro (1903)
       #11

    If you have problems with 1903, I very much doubt 1909 would help, especially if the issues are with driver incompatibility.

    Ideally, check with others who have the same machine- on a HP forum e.g. as I think you have.

    Another possibility that might work is to use OLDER drivers than MS provides with 1903 for your machine. You would still need to take control of updates in one or other manner to protect those.
      My Computers

  2. sygnus21's Avatar
    Posts : 5,375
    Win 10 Pro (x64) 20H2 (19042.928)
       #12

    Matthew Wai said:
    I would say that 1903 works perfectly on my low-end PC. So, even if 1909 is "good" on someone else' PC, it does not follow that it will be good on yours.
    Nor will it follow that it's "bad" on theirs. That's the problem - too many people turn internet FUD into mountains when the issue is molehill at best. And yes, if I want to find "proof" the earth is flat there's a site for that

    @Zorbitron, the proof is in using the upgrade and judging for yourself - Just as I did. Yes, it's always good to get other feedback, but realize not every issue can be attributed to Window. That "Windows" is often the messenger that gets blamed for everything.

    There are people here who will continue to advise against upgrading to 1909 no matter the facts. Here facts are the percentage of users experiencing issues as no OS or patch has ever been 100 percent perfect!

    Regardless, I'm not here to convince you on why you should or shouldn't upgrade. That's on you.

    Peace:)
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 38,394
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #13

    Zorbitron said:

    What about my other question..... IF I decide to let it "upgrade" and see what the result is..... will I be able to uninstall it and revert back to my current version like I did with 1903 back in November??
    No.
    You should expect difficulty in uninstalling updates.

    Some updates are designed to not allow un-installation.

    To return to where you were before updates you must make and restore backup images.


    Update the specs in the "My Computer" section:

    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums
    In the left corner below in your post you find 'My System Specs'.
    After clicking it you can find a link a little below that says 'Update your System Spec', click on this link to get to the page where you can fill in your system specs.
    System Info - See Your System Specs - Windows 7 Help Forums

    Include PSU. cooler, case, peripherals and anything attached to the computer by wired or wireless (mouse, keyboard, headset, printer, xbox, USB wireless network card, etc.)
      My Computer

  4. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    Posts : 5,077
    Windows 10 Home 20H2
       #14

    Zorbitron said:
    IF I decide to let it "upgrade" and see what the result is..... will I be able to uninstall it and revert back to my current version like I did with 1903 back in November??
    If you have a Windows ISO file of version 1809, you can simply clean install it.
    Last edited by Matthew Wai; 26 Mar 2020 at 15:01.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 27
    Windows 10 home
    Thread Starter
       #15

    sygnus21 said:
    Nor will it follow that it's "bad" on theirs. That's the problem - too many people turn internet FUD into mountains when the issue is molehill at best. And yes, if I want to find "proof" the earth is flat there's a site for that

    @Zorbitron, the proof is in using the upgrade and judging for yourself - Just as I did. Yes, it's always good to get other feedback, but realize not every issue can be attributed to Window. That "Windows" is often the messenger that gets blamed for everything.

    There are people here who will continue to advise against upgrading to 1909 no matter the facts. Here facts are the percentage of users experiencing issues as no OS or patch has ever been 100 percent perfect!

    Regardless, I'm not here to convince you on why you should or shouldn't upgrade. That's on you.

    Peace:)
    Thanks I appreciated your honesty and "bluntness".... that is what I was looking for ;-)

    - - - Updated - - -

    zbook said:
    No.
    You should expect difficulty in uninstalling updates.

    Some updates are designed to not allow un-installation.

    To return to where you were before updates you must make and restore backup images.


    Update the specs in the "My Computer" section:

    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums
    In the left corner below in your post you find 'My System Specs'.
    After clicking it you can find a link a little below that says 'Update your System Spec', click on this link to get to the page where you can fill in your system specs.
    System Info - See Your System Specs - Windows 7 Help Forums

    Include PSU. cooler, case, peripherals and anything attached to the computer by wired or wireless (mouse, keyboard, headset, printer, xbox, USB wireless network card, etc.)
    Sadly "make and backup system images" is above my knowledge and pay grade.... it not only sounds complicated but also like many many many wasted hours on a computer that works perfectly fine as is.....
    I guess the answer (for me) is obvious now.... forget about update 1909 and completely shut off all future updates for this computer....

    So what is the simplest way to prevent windows from updating (stop windows update service completely) and more importantly stopping the current "updating/downloading" process ???

    Thanks....

    PS: I am currently looking at the options or Ultimate Windows Tweaker (I had to update it first).... hopefully it does have the block updates option..... brb
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 38,394
    windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit
       #16

    The approach that you have is causing you difficulty.

    It is a no win situation.

    In order to move from where you are now (defeated) you must spend time learning something new.

    If you view Ten Forums threads the routine use of backup images has helped many:

    malware
    ransomware
    operating system corruption
    registry corruption
    failure to boot
    drive failure
    etc.


    There are free and pay versions:

    (Acronis, Aoemi, EaseUS, Macrium, Paragon, etc.)

    Macrium is widely used in Ten Forums:

    Macrium Software | Your Image is Everything
    Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 27
    Windows 10 home
    Thread Starter
       #17

    zbook said:
    The approach that you have is causing you difficulty.

    It is a no win situation.

    In order to move from where you are now (defeated) you must spend time learning something new.

    If you view Ten Forums threads the routine use of backup images has helped many:

    malware
    ransomware
    operating system corruption
    registry corruption
    failure to boot
    drive failure
    etc.


    There are free and pay versions:

    (Acronis, Aoemi, EaseUS, Macrium, Paragon, etc.)

    Macrium is widely used in Ten Forums:

    Macrium Software | Your Image is Everything
    Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect
    You are absolutely right.... I am responsible for my own difficulties. That is due to the fact that I cannot justify wasting this much time on a computer (that worked perfectly until those update issues.. and still does besides that) as most probably every effort and time I spend on this will be for nothing as this computer will be considered obsolete (& unsupported) very soon.... and I will be forced (yet again) to buy a more recent one......
    (I will not rant about my thoughts about how Microsoft/Windows conducts business and forces you to upgrade because they no longer support your device...... that is for another day and another forum.....)

    So I guess using the "disable windows update services" from my Windows Ultimate Tweak is what I will do, understanding that this means my computer will no longer be supported/updated and will need to be replaced relatively soon.....
    (As I was made aware that if I make the mistake of trying the 1909 update will be very complex, if not impossible, to uninstall... I don't even want to try that).

    Understanding that what I am about to do doesn't coincide with your recommendations... do you have any recommendations for me besides just clicking the "disable service" in the Tweak software ??
    (such as deleting files already in ...SoftwareDistribution\Download or anything else to prevent the download and install of any further windows update??)

    Thanks again and sorry for not listening to your advise.... i guess by now u figured out I am stubborn and majorly dislike change that is "forced" and not by my choice..... lollll
      My Computer

  8. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    Posts : 5,077
    Windows 10 Home 20H2
       #18

    Zorbitron said:
    So I guess using the "disable windows update services" from my Windows Ultimate Tweak is what I will do
    You don't need Windows Ultimate Tweak to do so. Just run the following command in an elevated Command Prompt.

    sc config "wuauserv" start=disabled
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 27
    Windows 10 home
    Thread Starter
       #19

    Matthew Wai said:
    You don't need Windows Ultimate Tweak to do so. Just run the following command in an elevated Command Prompt.

    sc config "wuauserv" start=disabled
    I already have it (Windows Ultimate Tweaker)... should I use it or is it better i use the command you gave me? or both ?
    Also... "elevated command prompt" = cmd run as admin ??

    And.. do you know if that will erase the error message in Windows update (last update failed - try again)... and what about the 5-6 gigs files it downloaded in the SoftwareDistribution\Download directory yesterday??

    Thanks again, Z.
      My Computer

  10. Matthew Wai's Avatar
    Posts : 5,077
    Windows 10 Home 20H2
       #20

    Zorbitron said:
    Also... "elevated command prompt" = cmd run as admin ??
    Right-click on the Start button-->Windows PowerShell (Admin). Run the following commands:

    CMD
    sc config "wuauserv" start=disabled

    Then, the Windows Update service will be disabled.

    Help with updates 1903 & 1909 - major issues-disabled.jpg

    Zorbitron said:
    And.. do you know if that will erase the error message in Windows update (last update failed - try again)...
    When the service has been disabled, restart Windows, and you will know if that will erase the message.

    Zorbitron said:
    what about the 5-6 gigs files it downloaded in the SoftwareDistribution\Download directory yesterday??
    Manually delete the folder.
      My Computer


 
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:37.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums