Windows 10 won't install from newly created USB recovery drive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 10
    Windows 10
       #1

    Windows 10 won't install from newly created USB recovery drive


    Hello there.

    I chose to give my PC a complete reset, erasing everything on both my SSDs. But first I created a recovery drive with an USB stick. Problem is, after it has completely erased everything it won't install from the USB stick. This is what happens:

    1. Put in USB and turn on PC.
    2. I choose keyboard layoutand then get to the menu with the options recover, troubleshoot and turn off PC.
    3. I choose recover and it goes to the screen "recovering your PC".
    4. At about 60-70% it changes the screen to a message saying "there was a problem reseting your computer. No changes were made".

    I've tries 6-7 times now. I've tries disconnecting my secondary SSD, but didn't do anything. I have no idea what to do now. What has usually been a pretty straightforward task of reseting my PC has now turned out to me being clueless how to fix this.

    Anyone have possible solutions for this?

    Best regards, Sune.
      My Computer

  2. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 53,155
    Multi-boot Windows 10 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #2

    Nilsson said:
    Hello there.

    I chose to give my PC a complete reset, erasing everything on both my SSDs. But first I created a recovery drive with an USB stick. Problem is, after it has completely erased everything it won't install from the USB stick. This is what happens:

    1. Put in USB and turn on PC.
    2. I choose keyboard layoutand then get to the menu with the options recover, troubleshoot and turn off PC.
    3. I choose recover and it goes to the screen "recovering your PC".
    4. At about 60-70% it changes the screen to a message saying "there was a problem reseting your computer. No changes were made".

    I've tries 6-7 times now. I've tries disconnecting my secondary SSD, but didn't do anything. I have no idea what to do now. What has usually been a pretty straightforward task of reseting my PC has now turned out to me being clueless how to fix this.

    Anyone have possible solutions for this?

    Best regards, Sune.
    Just to be clear, you created a Windows 10 Recovery Thumb Drive, not an Installation thumb drive from an ISO of your version of Windows. Is that Correct? If so, there is nothing on the recovery thumb to install anything. You have erased everything on the 2 drives, so there is nothing to recover/repair.

    Maybe what you meant to do is create an Installation thumb drive, boot it, and do a clean install of Windows.

    Clean Install Windows 10

    Could you verify these points, please. Thanks.

    Also, if you used this method of creating the drive, there should have been files on it to recover the OS.

    Create Recovery Drive in Windows 10
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 10
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Oh.. That makes sense. Is it possible to create an installation thumb drive directly in windows on another computer, like I did with the recovery, or do I have to buy one?
      My Computer

  4. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 53,155
    Multi-boot Windows 10 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #4

    Nilsson said:
    Oh.. That makes sense. Is it possible to create an installation thumb drive directly in windows on another computer, like I did with the recovery, or do I have to buy one?
    Absolutely! The Media Creation Tool.

    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/windows10

    Second blue block. It downloads a small tool which you run on a PC to create an installation thumb drive. Pop it in the PC you want to install to, boot, and follow the instructions in the Clean Install tutorial posted above.

    If your PC was already running a digitally activated Windows 10, it will auto activate after the install, from MS servers where that info is stored.
      My Computers


  5. Posts : 10
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Thank you so much! I will do this as soon as I get my hands on another computer.
      My Computer

  6. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 53,155
    Multi-boot Windows 10 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #6

    Nilsson said:
    Thank you so much! I will do this as soon as I get my hands on another computer.
    Great! Post back when you get going with it if you need any pointers or have any questions. Best of luck.....
      My Computers


  7. Posts : 10
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #7

    Thank you. I may be able to do it at work tomorrow. This solution definitely makes sense.
      My Computer

  8. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 53,155
    Multi-boot Windows 10 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #8

    Nilsson said:
    Thank you. I may be able to do it at work tomorrow. This solution definitely makes sense.
    Let us hear back.
      My Computers


  9. Posts : 10
    Windows 10
    Thread Starter
       #9

    f14tomcat said:
    Let us hear back.
    It worked perfectly and I'm now reinstalling everything on a fresh PC. This is great :) Thanks!
      My Computer

  10. f14tomcat's Avatar
    Posts : 53,155
    Multi-boot Windows 10 - RTM, RP, Beta, and Insider
       #10

    Nilsson said:
    It worked perfectly and I'm now reinstalling everything on a fresh PC. This is great :) Thanks!
    That's good news! Glad it all worked out for you. Backup your machine with the clean install when you're done. It's in our blood, we have to say that.
      My Computers


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:25.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums