Win 10. W wrong MS product code


  1. Posts : 2
    Windows 10
       #1

    Win 10. W wrong MS product code


    Login get "go to settings to activate Windows. Do so and cant get in as the 10 on hard drive doesnt match the MS product code on bottom of laptop. Am an old guy, who had kid borrow my laptop. Was I dumb? Help!
      My Computer

  2. Berton's Avatar
    Posts : 10,525
    Win10 Pro Versions 2004 and 2009/20H2, Win10 Pro IP_Dev, Win10 Home 1909
       #2

    Haven't seen Win10 have the COA/Certificate of Authenticity sticker on a computer, usually reads information it needs from the hardware/motherboard/CMOS but I haven't worked with a new install of a purchased product, only with Upgrades from Win7 or Win8/8.1. The Product ID seen in System/System Info is created during the installation of Windows. Your description suggests a clean reinstall of Win10 or an Upgrade from an earlier version, hard to say without knowing what the borrower did to what was on the computer before.
      My Computers

  3. Samuria's Avatar
    Posts : 6,049
    windows 10
       #3

    Does the version match the sticker if the sticker is home and the laptop is pro that will give the error
      My Computer

  4. Bree's Avatar
    Posts : 18,691
    10 Home x64 (20H2) (10 Pro on 2nd pc)
       #4

    Tulsadoug749 said:
    Login get "go to settings to activate Windows. Do so and cant get in as the 10 on hard drive doesnt match the MS product code on bottom of laptop. Am an old guy, who had kid borrow my laptop. Was I dumb? Help!

    What happened? Did the kid install the Windows 10 that's now on the laptop?

    Did this laptop originally come with Windows 7 installed by the manufacturer? Only a PC built for Windows 7 (or earlier) came with a Certificate of Authority (CoA) sticker, usually on the bottom if it's a laptop. From Window 8 on there was just a label that said the version of Windows (8 or 10, Home or Pro) but without any product key, that is embedded in the bios instead. The only exception to that rule is a PC that has been rebuilt by a Microsoft Registered Refurbisher, those get a special W10 sticker.

    So, what version of Windows did it have on it before you lent it to the kid, Windows 7 or 10? Was it Home or Pro? Was it activated?

    What version of Windows 10 does it have on it now, Home or Pro?

    What version of Windows does the sticker say it is for? Is it Windows 7? Is it Home, Pro or something else? Does it have a line labelled as 'Product key'? (if so do NOT tell us what it is, just whether you can read it.)


    We'd need to know the answer to all those questions before we can say if the key should activate your Windows, or if there's another solution.
      My Computers

  5. Jacee's Avatar
    Posts : 1,589
    Win 10 home 20H2 19042.928
       #5

    Login get "go to settings to activate Windows. Do so and cant get in as the 10 on hard drive doesnt match the MS product code on bottom of laptop. Am an old guy, who had kid borrow my laptop. Was I dumb? Help!
    Something is very "sketchy" here..........How were you able to 'log' in?
      My Computers

  6. alphanumeric's Avatar
    Posts : 14,081
    Windows 10 IoT
       #6

    Berton said:
    Haven't seen Win10 have the COA/Certificate of Authenticity sticker on a computer, usually reads information it needs from the hardware/motherboard/CMOS but I haven't worked with a new install of a purchased product, only with Upgrades from Win7 or Win8/8.1. The Product ID seen in System/System Info is created during the installation of Windows. Your description suggests a clean reinstall of Win10 or an Upgrade from an earlier version, hard to say without knowing what the borrower did to what was on the computer before.
    I can't comment on Windows 10 but my ASUS Laptop had a COA sticker for Windows 8. There was no product code on the sticker, it just had the Microsoft LOGO and what version was factory installed. It was 8 Core so it just said Windows 8 (no pro). Product code was embedded in BIOS.
      My Computer

  7. alphanumeric's Avatar
    Posts : 14,081
    Windows 10 IoT
       #7

    Jacee said:
    Something is very "sketchy" here..........How were you able to 'log' in?
    Activation won't affect logon. You can still log into an unactivated version of Windows. Otherwise how would you fix the activation issue?
      My Computer

  8. alphanumeric's Avatar
    Posts : 14,081
    Windows 10 IoT
       #8

    Getting back to the OP.
    What version of Windows was installed before loaning your laptop?
    And what is installed now?
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:50.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums