Windows 10 Licences  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 245
    Windows 10 Pro version 21H2 (standalone licence)
       #1

    Windows 10 Licences


    Does anyone know if the versions of Windows 10 on offer here are like the old 'retail' licences that could be moved to another machine or are they tied to one machine once installed on that machine.

    Typically the site does not make this clear, as far as I can see, and trying to use the useless chat feature does nnot connect to a real person.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 13,136
    Win10 Version 21H2 Pro and Home, Win11 Pro and Home
       #2

    OEM/Brands/System Builder/Renewe d/Refurbished licenses are supposed to be stuck with the machine they come on but the Retail version can be moved to a replacement machine but not both at the same time. It's always been spelled out in the EULA/End User License Agreement in past versions, usually seen during install. Some pages about it:
    windows 10 eula at DuckDuckGo
      My Computers


  3. Posts : 245
    Windows 10 Pro version 21H2 (standalone licence)
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Berton said:
    OEM/Brands/System Builder/Renewe d/Refurbished licenses are supposed to be stuck with the machine they come on but the Retail version can be moved to a replacement machine but not both at the same time. It's always been spelled out in the EULA/End User License Agreement in past versions, usually seen during install.
    Thanks for that but you have just told me what I know as I think was implied in the way I posed the question. The EULA on install is not much use for checking out before buying.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 3,453
       #4

    kevvyb said:
    Does anyone know if the versions of Windows 10 on offer here are like the old 'retail' licences that could be moved to another machine or are they tied to one machine once installed on that machine.

    Typically the site does not make this clear, as far as I can see, and trying to use the useless chat feature does nnot connect to a real person.
    The USB-based purchases from MS are FPP (Retail).
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 13,136
    Win10 Version 21H2 Pro and Home, Win11 Pro and Home
       #5

    kevvyb said:
    Thanks for that but you have just told me what I know as I think was implied in the I posed the question. The EULA on install is not much use for checking out before buying.
    There was a page on the link I posted about how to find the EULA on a computer, should also be able to find it on the 'net. It really doesn't change much between purchases especially for the same editions such as Home/Core, Professional, etc. Different countries will have changes based on their laws.
      My Computers


  6. Posts : 245
    Windows 10 Pro version 21H2 (standalone licence)
    Thread Starter
       #6

    Berton said:
    There was a page on the link I posted about how to find the EULA on a computer, should also be able to find it on the 'net. It really doesn't change much between purchases especially for the same editions such as Home/Core, Professional, etc. Different countries will have changes based on their laws.

    Apologies. For some reson didn't notice the link initially. But it does clarify. Thank you.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Superfly said:
    The USB-based purchases from MS are FPP (Retail).
    Thanks
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 14,889
    Windows 10 Home x64 Version 22H2 Build 19045.2965
       #7

    And their site does offer
    Satisfaction guaranteed
    Return within 30 days of purchase for a full refund.
    LEARN MORE

    so you can install, check the Microsoft Software License Terms at C:\Windows\System32\en-GB\Licenses\OEM\Core\license.rtf [tailor the path for your region] and send it back if it is not what you need.
    - I think the Microsoft Software License Terms are also shown in an annoyingly small dialog box during installation.

    But I think you will be alright because the standard Microsoft Software License Terms [see attachment from my own computer] 20180600 license.docx explains the situation as being one of two cases -
    1 preinstalled
    2 stand-alone - and this has the right to transfer to other devices

    Windows 10 Licences-transfer-rights.png
    {these conditions have been in force for at least five years - I worked through comparing Retail & OEM licence terms in 2015 and these illustrated paras were the same in both}


    So we are still using old terms such as Retail but we should now be using the terms Pre-installed or Stand-alone. Once you translate your question into these modern terms you will find that it answers itself.

    Denis
    Last edited by Try3; 20 Jan 2020 at 11:42.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 245
    Windows 10 Pro version 21H2 (standalone licence)
    Thread Starter
       #8

    Try3 said:
    And their site does offer
    Satisfaction guaranteed
    Return within 30 days of purchase for a full refund.
    LEARN MORE

    so you can install, check the Microsoft Software License Terms at C:\Windows\System32\en-GB\Licenses\OEM\Core\license.rtf [tailor the path for your region] and send it back if it is not what you need.
    - I think the Microsoft Software License Terms are also shown in an annoyingly small dialog box during installation.

    But I think you will be alright because the standard Microsoft Software License Terms [see attachment from my own computer] 20180600 license.docx explains the situation as being one of two cases -
    1 preinstalled
    2 stand-alone - and this has the right to transfer to other devices

    Windows 10 Licences-transfer-rights.png
    {these conditions have been in force for at least five years - I worked through comparing Retail & OEM licence terms in 2015 and these illustrated paras were the same in both}


    So we are still using old terms such as Retail but we should now be using the terms Pre-installed or Stand-alone. Once you translate your question into these modern terms you will find that it answers itself.

    Denis
    Thanks. Much better terms to use as you say. JUst haven't bought for a while and things have moved on.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 245
    Windows 10 Pro version 21H2 (standalone licence)
    Thread Starter
       #9

    Thanks all and Denis for that last explanation. Clearly I haven't been payign attention.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 3,732
    several
       #10

    In many places, software cannot be tied to a specific piece of hardware. That is the case in the entire EU and also many other places.

    It should be obvious why that is.

    The stand alone can be had very cheaply so it is unlikely to arise for a home user of win10
    Computeractive Software Store - Windows 10 Professional - 80% off RRP
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 10 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 10" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:42.
Find Us




Windows 10 Forums